Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 07:23 AM

12 posts, read 52,258 times

Advertisements

I just relocated to Northern Virginia and I am torn between Brambleton and South Riding. I'm looking to purchase a new home and I didn't see a difference on prices for either locations. What I'm trying to figure out is which area is better when it comes to house appreciation. I'm not familiar with the school systems for either locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 08:25 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,311,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcwills View Post
I just relocated to Northern Virginia and I am torn between Brambleton and South Riding. I'm looking to purchase a new home and I didn't see a difference on prices for either locations. What I'm trying to figure out is which area is better when it comes to house appreciation. I'm not familiar with the school systems for either locations.
Brambleton! (but I am personally biased... )

Both Brambleton and South Riding are Loudoun County schools - South Riding attends Freedom High School, Brambleton attends Briar Woods High School, and both schools opened in the same year. IIRC, they even share some teachers for specialized electives, utilizing distance-learning technology and spending a few days at one school, then the other.

Brambleton is newer than South Riding. It was a test community for Verizon FiOs, and FiOs internet and TV are included in our HOA fees. I personally think our town center is better than South Riding's shopping centers - we have a movie theater, and unique shops and restaurants. (Although I do like their Home Depot better than the one in Ashburn.) We are only a couple of miles from what will be the terminus of Metro's Silver Line. When Brambleton is finished (years from now), it will be the largest development in Loudoun County.

I don't have any statistics for you on home appreciation, but I can share some anecdata. We signed our contract to build in 2002, and closed on our house in October 2003. In 2006, at the peak, it assessed for almost 1.5 times our purchase price. It's come down some since, but we are still very much above water. Last year, when everyone else's assessments dropped, ours actually increased - the house value went down, but the land value went UP.

If you want to get a feel for what the community is like, I encourage you to come to one of our free summer concerts. Tonight is Crowded Streets, a Dave Matthews tribute band. They're playing from 7-9 pm in the "stage" area on Olympia Drive that faces the movie theater plaza.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:42 AM

66 posts, read 199,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Last year, when everyone else's assessments dropped, ours actually increased - the house value went down, but the land value went UP.
Everyone's land value went up. That was the County's way of trying to maintain their tax income.

South Riding and Brambleton are both highly desired areas of Loudoun County, that's why both areas have serious overcrowding in the schools. One advantage of Brambleton over South Riding is accessibility. Route 50, 606, and Braddock Road are the only ways in and out SR. They all get packed. Maybe when they finish Loudoun County Parkway gets finished, things might get better. You should try driving through during rush hour.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:53 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
If you want to get a feel for what the community is like, I encourage you to come to one of our free summer concerts. Tonight is Crowded Streets, a Dave Matthews tribute band. They're playing from 7-9 pm in the "stage" area on Olympia Drive that faces the movie theater plaza.
That sounds like a lot of fun. Can you give some basic directions for those of us who don't know the area? It would help to know a nearby road intersection. Any place you'd recommend getting a treat (maybe an ice cream stand)? Also, where's a good place to park?

Old 07-30-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac10 View Post
South Riding and Brambleton are both highly desired areas of Loudoun County, that's why both areas have serious overcrowding in the schools. One advantage of Brambleton over South Riding is accessibility. Route 50, 606, and Braddock Road are the only ways in and out SR. They all get packed. Maybe when they finish Loudoun County Parkway gets finished, things might get better. You should try driving through during rush hour.
Brambleton does not have "serious overcrowding." Legacy Elementary is slightly overcapacity, mainly because residents on the west side of Brambleton have fought every year to keep their kids there. Our newest school, Creighton's Corner, had only 190 students last year with a capacity of 840. Those numbers will be better balanced next year due to new boundaries. Briar Woods High School had 1268 students with a capacity of 1639.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
That sounds like a lot of fun. Can you give some basic directions for those of us who don't know the area? It would help to know a nearby road intersection. Any place you'd recommend getting a treat (maybe an ice cream stand)? Also, where's a good place to park?
The closest "big" intersection is Belmont Ridge Road and Ryan Road. Here's a link to the official Brambleton site's map: Brambleton Location. Their marker is for the Welcome Center, which is right across the field from where the concert will be. There is some surface parking at the Chevy Chase Bank and in the "daily needs" section of the town center; there are also two large garages tucked away behind the theater section of shops. You can also park along the street on Legacy Park Drive or Greenside Drive, which are the streets on either side of Legacy Park. The stage is behind the stone waterfall west of Olympia Drive, across from Legacy Park.

Treatwise... there is a Coldstone Creamery, a Caribou Coffee, and a Froots in the daily needs section - and Edibles Incredible and Johnny Rockets by the theater. Edibles Incredible has Gifford's ice cream as well as its own cupcakes and fudge. For more adult treats, there are bars at Blue Ridge Grill, Nick's Corner Grill, and My Thai Place. BYOB is allowed - they check IDs, and beer and wine only (no hard liquor). The bathrooms at the Welcome Center will be open during the concert. The grass is nice by the stage but a lot of people bring chairs and/or blankets.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:23 AM

28 posts, read 85,063 times
I live in S. Riding.

I don't think you can go wrong with either locations regarding home value, especially now. S. Riding is older (12 yrs. old maybe) but there is still new construction going on here, too. We bought a new construction in '02, moved here summer of '03. The 3 recent home sales on our street sold for around what we were paying back then. We bought early enough that we do not expect to be under water either.

What types of amenities are you looking for? We have 4 pools, we also have summer concerts on the Town Green, all kinds of holiday related festivities, etc.

I love the homes in Brambleton, the whole look and feel is different than S. Riding (to me anyway). I agree that their town center is WAY better than what we have here! We NEED something like that here. Instead we have 2 pretty lame shopping centers. Each have a grocery store (Bloom and Giant), AT&T store and Subway (why we we need double of those, I have no idea), hair cutting places, Starbucks, gift shop, paint your own pottery place, some restaurants, etc. I was up by Giant earlier in the week and was sad to see so many empty store fronts. A lot of them have closed up in the last year.

Brambleton seems far to me but I don't know Ashburn very well and just know how to get there from here, lol. We desperately need more retail out this way. We are always driving to Fairfax or PW County to shop, we hardly spend money in Loudoun County. There were a couple of shopping centers in the works located around 50/606 (with Target, Michaels, Borders, TJ Maxx to name a few stores) but due to the economy I think it's on hold. I think there is/was a town center planned for the Avonlea neighborhood (I think that's what it's called, it's the next community over) that will back up to our Home Depot...but who knows what is going on with that now.

Based on our experience (as well as our neighbor's experiences) with Toll Brothers, I am not impressed. Not with their customer service, not with their homes. We wouldn't buy another Toll Brother home, ever. That said, I do love living here (well aside from the lack of retail shopping). We have great neighbors, many who I call friends and can call upon in a pinch.

I think you should spend a little time exploring both communities and see what you think.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:30 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac10 View Post
Everyone's land value went up. That was the County's way of trying to maintain their tax income.

I'll be driving from Herndon, coming up Rt. 7 at about 7:00 tonight. Can I take Loudoun County Parkway from the 7? Or is it better to drive all the way to Belmont Ridge and then drive south?

Old 07-30-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
I'll be driving from Herndon, coming up Rt. 7 at about 7:00 tonight. Can I take Loudoun County Parkway from the 7? Or is it better to drive all the way to Belmont Ridge and then drive south?
I would take LCP. It's easy - after the light at Waxpool, you'll continue west until the light at Ryan Road (about 3 miles past the Greenway). Make a right there and continue on about a mile to Belmont Ridge. Go straight at the light, then make the second left (Olympia Drive). If you miss it, you can go down to the 4-way stop at Northstar, make a left, then take a left into the garages.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:56 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
I would take LCP. It's easy - after the light at Waxpool, you'll continue west until the light at Ryan Road (about 3 miles past the Greenway). Make a right there and continue on about a mile to Belmont Ridge. Go straight at the light, then make the second left (Olympia Drive). If you miss it, you can go down to the 4-way stop at Northstar, make a left, then take a left into the garages.
Thanks, just wanted to make sure LCP goes all the way through from Rt. 7 since the other poster had said they were still working on it.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
Thanks, just wanted to make sure LCP goes all the way through from Rt. 7 since the other poster had said they were still working on it.
The only part that isn't finished runs through Loudoun Valley Estates - south of Ryan Road. It's going to be several years before it's built.

Also, I just got word that there'll be a "Snack Shack for the Track" - Legacy Elementary's PTO will be selling pizza, candy, and other snacks at the concert to help raise money to build a track for the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia