Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,453 times

Advertisements

I'm from Richmond,VA going to an interview in Arlington,VA
Went on the I-66W without knowing the HOV during rush hour.
I was just following my GPS.

Got the first HOV, N Glebe exit
Fine. I'll eat it.
So I asked the office my destination.
She told me the direction but it was contradictory to my GPS
I got lost.
I turned right on fairfax dr...and up the ramp I went again.

I exited the following exit.
pulled over the second time within 5 mins of driving.
It was I-66 N Sycamore st.
I tried explaining to the second office and she wouldn't listen

First ticket = $125
Second ticket $250 plus 3 points.

I just want drop the second ticket
I'm not from the area.
I have clean record.
I got lost because of contradictory information.
I was running late for my interview.
and...how can someone get 2 tickets in 5 mins????

Is it possible that judge can understand my situation
know where I'm coming from?
and drop the second charge?

Can someone give me tips/suggestions that I can lessen my second ticket.
Anything would help....please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 05:28 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,249,132 times
Still your fault but if it were me I'd go to court and explain the situation. We can never sit here and know what the judge might or might not do. But considering the situation you might get a sympathetic judge.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:11 AM

660 posts, read 1,705,914 times
I would agree with Bigfoot. Legally I'm sure the judge could let both tickets stand, but the on/off ramps at that exit are unpredictable, as they aren't near each other, so explaining that you got lost and were from out of the area may help, if you get a sympathetic judge.

Your chances would probably improve if you can get some signed statement from the office where you interviewed confirming that you were up here for an interview. I doubt you'll get them to tell you that they gave you contradictory information, but anything from the office would help. Also, I'm surprised the office didn't tell you, as a non-local, that 66 was HOV only at that time.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:53 AM

628 posts, read 1,934,264 times
Default Give it a try

If you were ticketed for speeding or reckless driving, I'd have no sympathy. However, I believe a judge might relieve you of some of the fines if you present a well constructed and documented plea for leniency. Good luck.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:40 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,094,389 times
Get the court date and go to court. They may reduce some fines just for showing up. Tell them that about your interview and bring some kind of document, like Stephen81 said. Also, tell the judge that you were misinformed by the office about the directions (see if you can get something printed about this), got overwhelmed by all the congestion, and just plain lost. Documentation and witnesses will help. Crying a little won't hurt either. Best of luck to you!

Old 08-06-2009, 12:32 PM

7 posts, read 30,285 times
A couple of questions to help get the story straight:

1) Where did you get on 66W from the first time (you said you got the ticket getting off the Glebe exit...how did you get on in the first place?)
2) Did you intentionally exist at Glebe and get pulled aside on the off-ramp, or did the cop start pulling you over before the exit?
3) Was it the same officer?
4) Where were you coming from and where were you trying to get to? Do you have anything in writing that proves either of these?

If you received the ticket on the Sycamore exit and you were honestly exiting b/c you realized you were on 66W "illegally", a judge might have some sympathy. However, if the cop pulled you over on the highway OR your destination was in/around that exit I'd say your screwed. The one saving grace you might have is that anyone who knows the rules and the area would basically be an idiot to risk getting on 66 at Glebe, just to get off at Sycamore (it doesn't save you time and there's nothing there).

Finally, I would go back to the Fairfax Dr. entrance to 66 (park and walk or go during non-HOV time) and snap a picture. I don't remember where the signs are placed, but I know by the time you have time to read them you're probably beyond the point of no return so you might be able to make that case as well.

All in all, I'd say you have a pretty good chance of getting the 2nd ticket thrown out in court and, oddly enough, the first ticket might be your saving grace (proves that you got off at Glebe and then on again...which no HOV violator in their right mind would intentionally do). Finally, make sure you bring your license with a Richmond address with you, as well as piece of mail or something else that genuinely proves your residence. Good luck!

Old 08-06-2009, 12:48 PM

428 posts, read 1,115,514 times
I'm sorry you wound up in such a frustrating situation. I hope it all works out for you.

Just for future reference, you might want to check your GPS unit to see if it has a setting that will steer you around HOV lanes. Ours does, and I always turn it on if I'm alone in the car during rush hour and heading someplace unfamiliar.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:02 PM

303 posts, read 918,381 times
Along these lines, I'm in a reverse predicament. My GPS will NEVER route me via 66, even if it's non-HOV hours or if I have enough people in my car. I'll have to look for that setting, themommy.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:45 AM

15 posts, read 45,646 times
I work in Criminal/Traffic defense and the posts are correct. You are playing the lottery when you go to court. Hopefully you'll get a nice judge and get the second one thrown out but maybe not. You could probably hire an attorney for $1,000 (which I'm sure you don't want to) and have them negotiate the situation and you would have a better chance at a good outcome - but that is a lot of money and I doubt you'd find a lawyer for much cheaper than that.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:59 AM

2 posts, read 3,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWaylandSmither View Post
A couple of questions to help get the story straight:

1) Where did you get on 66W from the first time (you said you got the ticket getting off the Glebe exit...how did you get on in the first place?)
2) Did you intentionally exist at Glebe and get pulled aside on the off-ramp, or did the cop start pulling you over before the exit?
3) Was it the same officer?
4) Where were you coming from and where were you trying to get to? Do you have anything in writing that proves either of these?

If you received the ticket on the Sycamore exit and you were honestly exiting b/c you realized you were on 66W "illegally", a judge might have some sympathy. However, if the cop pulled you over on the highway OR your destination was in/around that exit I'd say your screwed. The one saving grace you might have is that anyone who knows the rules and the area would basically be an idiot to risk getting on 66 at Glebe, just to get off at Sycamore (it doesn't save you time and there's nothing there).

Finally, I would go back to the Fairfax Dr. entrance to 66 (park and walk or go during non-HOV time) and snap a picture. I don't remember where the signs are placed, but I know by the time you have time to read them you're probably beyond the point of no return so you might be able to make that case as well.

All in all, I'd say you have a pretty good chance of getting the 2nd ticket thrown out in court and, oddly enough, the first ticket might be your saving grace (proves that you got off at Glebe and then on again...which no HOV violator in their right mind would intentionally do). Finally, make sure you bring your license with a Richmond address with you, as well as piece of mail or something else that genuinely proves your residence. Good luck!
Hi MrWaylandSmither,

Thank you for your thorough response.

1.) I got on 66W through 395W since at that time I was situation in Alexandria, VA

2.) My GPS says to get off at Glebe exit, so one of the officers were waiting at the off-ramp

3.) It was a different officer since the second ticket was at sycamore exit (which is the following west exit after Glebe)

4.) I was at a friend's place in Alexandria. I had an interview with Kaplan in Arlington. I think I can ask the person who interview me for documentation.

My destination was not near sycamore exit. I exit the sycamore exit because according to GPS I'm way too west of the destination. So I have to get off the freeway and head back the other way (back east)

I'll definitely go back and take some pictures
My driver license said I'm from Richmond.

Again, thanks all you guys for input.
I really appreciated it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia