Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 07:19 AM

7 posts, read 24,495 times

Advertisements

Hello and thanks in advance for reading my post. My husband and I plan to relocate to the DC area with our toddler, and 10 month old puppy. We love Arlington and Alexandria, but have had a bit of "sticker shock". Cameron Station seems to be a nice little community, very kid and dog-friendly, but it doesn't seem to be the most convenient location to DC. My husband will also be working in the Bethesda area, so commuting convenience is key. We will probably be spending in the $650-$750k range. Any other advice for neighborhoods/areas is much appreciated. We also looked at Vienna, which is nice but seems a bit commercialized, and McLean, which is nice but doesn't seem to have much of a downtown area. Biggest keys are convenience to the metro, nice/newer townhomes or sfh with an area or park nearby to walk our dog, and it must be a safe area. A big plus is a community that attract younger families. We are VERY new to the area, so our insight could be totally off.. which is why I'm here! thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 07:29 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,249,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngMar01 View Post
My husband will also be working in the Bethesda area, so commuting convenience is key. We will probably be spending in the $650-$750k range.
Please look closely at Maryland - Bethesda, Potomac, Rockville, Kensington, or Silver Spring. It will be much better for your family (and the area as a whole) if your husband doesn't have to commute across the American Legion Bridge.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:55 AM

577 posts, read 2,061,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Please look closely at Maryland - Bethesda, Potomac, Rockville, Kensington, or Silver Spring. It will be much better for your family (and the area as a whole) if your husband doesn't have to commute across the American Legion Bridge.
I second that. I love Virginia, but if your husband will be working in Bethesda and convenience to work is important to you, stick with the Maryland suburbs with Metro access.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:59 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,179,751 times
As much I would like to promote NOVA, I'd have to "third" the sentiments of the previous two posters that there are MD suburbs that would be more convenient to Bethesda with communities in your price range.

Is there a reason you're choosing to live in VA instead of MD?

Old 08-26-2009, 07:59 AM

Thanks! He will actually be commuting between downtown DC, Vienna and the Bethesda areas, DC being his main hq.. I hear commuting in DC can be a bear!

Old 08-26-2009, 08:05 AM

Thanks Tone509, we are very new to the area, friends have just recommended the Arlington and Alexandria areas, but we're not ruling anything out at this point. My husband's job will be housed in downtown DC, Bethesda, and Vienna, so we're hoping for something somewhat convenient for those locations, which may be very difficult to find!!

Old 08-26-2009, 08:17 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,179,751 times
Ah well that makes sense. Alexandria and Arlington would be the most central location to all of your husbands' job sites.

Take a look at the Del Ray section of Alexandria. Its Mt. Vernon Avenue is a neat "main street" and you just might find some SFHs there, albeit smaller and older. It's definitely popular with young families who want to maintain a sense of "hipness".

Old 08-26-2009, 08:20 AM

Wonderful...Thanks a bunch

Old 08-26-2009, 08:28 AM

577 posts, read 2,061,806 times
I think the key here is to find a place close to good public transportation for him. Are the Vienna and Bethesda office locations close to a Metro station? If not and he'd still need to use a car, then Metro access is less of a concern.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:55 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,800,895 times
Falls Church seems like it would be a good option as well. I commuted from there to Rockville, which is farther than Bethesda, and it wasn't too bad. The commute to Vienna would be a piece of cake. And the commute to DC wouldn't be bad either. Alexandria to both Bethesda and Vienna seem a bit far to me, but then again, I am not too familiar with Alexandria. Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia