Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 02:16 AM

373 posts, read 821,516 times

Advertisements

I run into a lot of people who say things like, "I MUST live in Reston because I cannot afford to live in DC (or Arlington or Alexandria), even though I really really really really want to live close in."

I understand this logic if you own your dwelling and must have 2br/2ba or a three-level townhouse or a SFH. But for renters, especially young ones who profess to want an urban lifestyle, the affordability argument frequently sounds empty.

In my apartment search, I ran into several 1-bedroom apartments in Old Town Alexandria and northern Arlington for under $1200, the going price for similarly-sized units in Reston and beyond. These weren't, to the extent I could tell, roach-infested slums in crime-ridden neighborhoods, or whatever the code is for "too many brown people" these days. I've also seen listings for reasonably-priced apartments inside the District.

Granted, these apartments aren't in luxury high-rises with indoor swimming pools and tennis courts and club rooms and whatever else Archstone and Avalon and the like are peddling these days. The listings I've seen are generally privately-owned condos or units in a small building. Some of them even require sharing a laundry room, and I know that can be a deal-breaker.

But the argument that one MUST live in far flung suburbs to afford the rent just isn't true. If you want to live out there, don't be afraid to admit it. I lived in Reston for several years because I wanted a suburban environment, quiet streets, and the pretense of "security" and "safety." But I also wasn't saying I would live in DC if only I could afford it. I had friends whose housing costs were similar to mine who had entire rowhomes to themselves in DC. Yeah, their neighbors weren't 20-something, J. Crew-wearing, BMW-driving yuppies. But they wanted urban living and by golly, that's what they found.

Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 06:36 AM

64 posts, read 232,988 times
I'd say you are 100% wrong. Rents are high everywhere. Do more research. Your post is just kind of ranting all over the place and really shows your ignorance, not to mention statements that just are not true. Very misleading.

Just a thought.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:17 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,579,950 times
Basement rental in a private house is roughly equivalent in cost to an apartment rent in a low-cost area of the state, such as Roanoke or Bristol. It's usually a transitional situation until they find their own apartment. Most of the renters in the neighborhood seem to last no more than six months. I notice that Extended Stay is running specials all over Northern Virginia for about 600-700/mo for long-term reservations.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:49 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,895,570 times
I believe that anyone who prices/searches apts solely on whats read on this forum is not smart. Definitely CityData (don't forget the Wash DC forum) should be part of your research, but also go to craigslist and search by zip code/neighborhood, use a good map (I use Rand McNally's Thomas Guide) and drive around the neighborhood, esp. when people are home at night.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:57 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,247,771 times
I see what you're saying but in my searches I've found that yes you can get a cheaper apartment inside the beltway and for a while I lived inside the beltway and hated my house. But I say you get more for money outside the beltway.

Honestly and truly I do want to live closer in but I also enjoy having a fairly large bedroom with a walk-in closet and I'm done with laundramats. Also my apartment complex has a pool but I hardly use it so I could give that up but not the other stuff. So far I have not found anything that matches what I pay in Oakton with the same amenities inside the beltway and in DC? Forget about it.

I have a car that I'm not willing to give up and paying $200 a month for a parking spot is out of my price range. So it's the burbs for me until I make a little more money.

Anything that I've looked at inside the beltway has also been older and I prefer newer apartments. So yes I hate my commute and yes I want to be a cityboy but I'm not willing to make the neccesary sacrifices and most people aren't. Those in the burbs greatly outnumber those in the city.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:30 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,953,982 times
Yup, it's ALL tradeoffs. But if living in the city was your priority, it could be done. That was the OP's point. It can be done. You just can't get everything you want.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:30 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,247,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Yup, it's ALL tradeoffs. But if living in the city was your priority, it could be done. That was the OP's point. It can be done. You just can't get everything you want.
Yes, there are tradeoffs but a lot of times the big tradeoff is quality of life, an apartment that's run down with unfortunate neighbors.

So yeah the city is too expensive. Have you actually seen these $1200 apartments in Arlington and Alexandria? There's a good chance that they are not that nice. Unfortunately for the young or poor you get what you pay for. Many people do want to live in the city but not if it means living somewhere that's run down, with faulty wiring, lazy landlords or high crime. The nice apartment on U street, Dupont or Georgetown is what most people want but demand outweighs supply.

So I'm going to side with the friends in Reston.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:13 PM

573 posts, read 2,506,338 times
Yeah my $1200 Alexandria apartment is nooooot that great. You can check off: old, crappy electric, stupid landlord.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:06 PM

280 posts, read 1,042,293 times
OP, I agree with you that if living close-in is a priority, people of a wide income range can make it happen.

(A few years ago I lived in a $700 incl utilities studio apt in north Arlington which was absolutely fine). I believe it is 800 now though. It was very 70s, laundry in the basement, a hike to the Metro, and while I really liked my neighbors, not an upscale demographic.

Once I made some friends I moved into a group home which was even cheaper and more fun.

However, reading this board, it seems like most posters' priorities are not just close-in, but that they also want large spaces, new/updated homes, yards, suburban amenities, proximity to others of similar demographic, etc. which eventually trumps location (which is totally fine--if everyone wanted to live close in it would be even more $$).

A 1200 apartment in Fairfax is going to be way bigger/newer than one in Ballston, and if bigger/newer is a must, then what's left to sacrifice is location.

I agree that living close in is possible for most if you are willing to sacrifice other stuff, but if you aren't, that's fine too.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:36 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
I'm guessing I'll "connect the dots" and assume the OP and several others were tap-dancing around dropping my name into this thread since, to my knowledge, I'm the only Reston resident on this forum who wishes he lived in a walkable and urban community. On a $41,210 salary my current monthly rent of $1,135 devours more than HALF of my monthly net income in and of itself, and this is for a 1-BR apartment in what is considered the most walkable part of Reston (under 1/2-mile to both Reston Town Center and Lake Anne). I looked for 1-BR units in Arlington near the Orange Line for under $1,200/month, but I was unsuccessful in finding anything that wasn't rather "undesirable" so try again before you accuse some of us of not researching our move well enough. The ONLY way I could "swing" living in a walkable/transitable part of Arlington would have been to have had roommates---at this point in life at age 22 sharing a small apartment with a few dudes who chug beer every weekend while I may like to instead invite a date over to cuddle and watch a movie on the couch was NOT an option!

Yes, you DO hear a TON of people complaining about living in Reston because it is the closest thing that NoVA has to Arlington that is still "affordable" for people just starting out, but it falls FAR too short. I actually get a kick out of some of the "old-timers" here in Reston whining about fears of Reston becoming "Arlingtonized" once the Metro comes through. Since when is emulating Arlington a BAD thing, especially when it is higher up on the "Best Places" list than you are? Perhaps they know something about quality urban planning that we don't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia