U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Job in McLean, Virginia, and travel to Washington DC, Northern Virginia, Silver Spring, Maryland, need closer residence like Herndon, Ashburn, Chantilly, Fairfax, South Riding

Old 05-01-2007, 01:35 PM

5 posts, read 25,303 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved to VA 3 years ago to a condo in the Seven Corners area of Falls Church. We want to move out this year but we're not sure where to look.. I currently work in McLean, but my job could potentially take me anywhere in the DC Metro area (DC, parts of Northern VA, or even Silver Spring, MD) in the next few weeks. Regardless, it seems pointless to decide where we are moving based on where I could end up since it will change every couple of months anyway (I'm a consultant). My husband works from home so location for him isn't an issue.

We are currently looking at Herndon, Ashburn, Chantilly, South Riding and Fairfax.

We fell in love with Ashburn and heard that the commute to McLean (Tysons) isn't so bad. But if I end up working in MD it could be a headache. Then again, I feel in some ways it's worth the trip if I can come home to a nice big single family. We really want to get a single family vs. a TH because it's in our price range and we can definitely afford it in those areas.

When we looked in Fairfax we found that the TH's were too pricy for the space. Ashburn, Herndon, or even Chantilly seem like affordable options, but I have heard bad things about Herndon.

Any advice on where we should move? I will appreciate any help you all can offer me since you are a lot more experienced with this area than I am (I'm an ex-Marylander).

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 02:48 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,263,194 times
That's a toughie (not knowing exactly where you will based)
Ashburn to Tysons in rush hour...45 best to 60+. using the toll would help and parts of Ashburn are right there by the on ramp.
It is nice and you will definatley get more house for your money than in Fairfax (and now is the time to buy!)
As far as South Riding goes the commute to McLean will be a bit longer since you have to go N then E to get there.

Both areas are very similar good schools clean low crime etc... They are doing a a ton of new building in near Southriding along route 659 so new build is an option.

Since you live here my suggestion is get out and drive both areas... The commute to both into DC is a haul during rush hour (90min)

Future plans for the metro make Ashburn more attractive if you are here for the long haul.

As for Herdon as you said parts of it a skechey. It's got some real nice areas and hten turn the corner and it has a rougher element hanging out etc... housing will more more expensive by 25-50k as compared to ashburn.

Do you have kids??

Old 05-01-2007, 03:20 PM

5 posts, read 25,303 times
Default thanks for the advise!

Thanks for the advice.. it is very helpful

We do not have kids yet, but we are planning on it. Within 1-2 years most likely. That's another reason Ashburn seems attractive, because we know we can raise a family there.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:11 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,474,451 times
Ashburn would be a great place to raise a family, unless you were commuting every day to a Maryland location. That would be my concern -- unless your husband, working from home, can take the lead oar in getting your child to day care and handling the logistics at home. Or unless you can work part-time or negotiate a flexible schedule. Or change jobs entirely. Long commutes can wreak havoc with new parenthood responsibilities. And, for that matter, with "who is going to get the kids to piano lessons and soccer practice?" responsibilities. Ashburn is less expensive for a reason -- it is not as convenient to many centers of employment.

Trying out the commute to McLean/DC/Silver Spring BEFORE you buy is an excellent idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia