Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 10:07 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,242,638 times

Advertisements

I don't think you'd have anything to worry about in that area.

You might like it there - true, the convenience factor is negated a bit by it being on the periphery of the rest of Alexandria, but Alexandria itself is very nice and you'll be able to get to things to do.

I don't know your budget so I don't know if you can afford moving closer in. A friend of mine once lived in Carydale East, on Duke St - it is a lower-than-average-priced place that's just outside of Old Town but more convenient than where you are going to live, other than being a little further to Metro than where you will be. It's about 0.8 miles to King St Metro.

Carydale East Apartments

Of course, best yet would be to find something in Old Town. There are older garden apartments and a few older high rises, but I don't know their prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 12:01 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,396,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaguamelonx View Post
Any idea where i should start looking to move to, since it seems like no one here likes the reserve?
I don't hate The Reserve. It's in a decent area and, like I said, I consider that a safe walk back and forth from the Metro. I just didn't think it was optimal for the car-less because there's not many necessities around, like grocery stores and drug stores. The nearest Giant is a mile and a half away (Van Dorn and Edsall), which could be a long walk carrying groceries.

I thought about this again though, and I realized that once you walk to Van Dorn station, there are 4 different bus routes going up and down Van Dorn Street. It actualy wouldn't be that hard to get to the shopping areas and back.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:24 PM

261 posts, read 1,302,000 times
We looked at Carydale and decided that it wasn't that easy to get to the metro on foot. Actually, if you look at google, it indicates that King Street metro is 2 miles away (?). It also felt somewhat rundown, although these things change.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:40 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,242,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferprestia View Post
We looked at Carydale and decided that it wasn't that easy to get to the metro on foot. Actually, if you look at google, it indicates that King Street metro is 2 miles away (?). It also felt somewhat rundown, although these things change.
Hmm, Google maps distance feature says it's 4,390 feet from Carydale East to King St Metro stop. 2 miles down Duke St and you'd be feet away from the Potomac River.

I notice if you enter King St Metro Alexandria VA in Google Maps, it maps it to the Eisenhower Metro, which is wrong. King St Metro stop is at the Amtrak train station on Callahan.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:25 PM

Well I couldn't see how that distance could be right hence the ?. In fact, since it's taking you to the wrong metro, it actually has you walk almost as far as the right one and then double back on yourself. However, I did feel that Duke street was not a street I would wish DD to walking along at night.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:40 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,396,279 times
I've walked it (even alone at night! I'm a guy though.). There's no way it's more than a mile. Carydale is definitely not the nicest apartment complex. I had friends there with major roach problems, but other than that it was OK.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:03 PM

I've sort of made an assumption that the OP is female but I may not be right about that Personally, I rather walk .4 mile down eisenhower that twice as far along Duke, but that may be an over protective mother talking.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:39 PM

7 posts, read 22,522 times
indeed i am! I don't walk alone in the dark anywhere, not even here and my neighborhood is definitely safe. I've noticed the petty theft issue in the area - thankfully i don't have a car, and don't live on the bottom floor, so i think i should be ok. and thanks for all the positive feedback. I'm glad to know my research yielded positive results! now to only orchestrate said move in 12 days... oy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia