Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:05 PM

57 posts, read 125,398 times

Advertisements

Our move was planned for months, and we researched and plotted. We picked Vienna for a reverse commute and a walkable inner core (Walkscore 82). We have been here about 6 weeks. The first few weeks were quiet. Then the kids went back to school...and we have been overwhelmed with helpful neighbors, playdates, help with conflicting soccer practices, invites and overall welcoming kindness...

For example...at my child's soccer practice yesterday, I mentioned to another Mom how busy our day was with back-to-back kids' practices. Today she emailed me and offered to take my one son to practice with her to make the evening easier.

I met a neighbor at a lemonade stand. I told her I was looking for a hairdresser. Within hours she emailed me with her stylest. She also invited us to a neighborhood party. People at the neighborhood party filled us in on same aged children (potential pals for our kids), how to get around a avoid the worst of the traffic, and the in and outs of the town. We also walked away with phone numbers for play dates, and more invites for us.

Another neighbor arranged her teenage daughter to help with a school bus pick up when I was tied up with a doctor's appointment. The teenager refused pay, b/c "that is what neighbors do for each other"

I am not working yet, but I met another neighbor who is in the same field as I am. She offered to have coffee with me on Monday to bring me up to speed on our profession in VA.

These are just a few examples. True people do not always say "hello" when I run by them on the w & OD trail, but when we do talk to people, for the most part, we have found them friendly and helpful.

We did pick Vienna for walkabilty. We walk to the farmers market, the library, the town office, the town green, the custard shop, the park, and more. The other day, I was in a rush to return library books, and my kids could not believe we were going to drive to the library. In talking to neighbors, most chose close-in Vienna for walkability and, though everything is not walkable, they do feel what they get is worthwhile.

I did not know what to expect when I moved here. I am far from settled. We are a long way from having real friends. However, when people ask if NoVA is friendly, I have to say it is. People have been kind and welcoming, and many have surprised me with their over and above efforts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 09:12 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,775,291 times
Welcome to Vienna! Glad you are liking it so far. I love it for all of the reasons you mentioned. It's a great town, and I walk everywhere, too!

Old 09-18-2009, 01:33 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,157 times
So glad that you like Vienna! It's the perfect place to raise a family. Congratulations on your move and your choice of Vienna!

Old 09-18-2009, 08:43 PM

57 posts, read 125,398 times
I really do like Vienna. Like any place, it is not perfect, but there is a lot of good here. Interestingly, I have had some people (here) tell me it is not a friendly place, included some people from here. However, thus far, our experience has been quite positive.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:12 AM

230 posts, read 1,035,002 times
Welcome! We too are transplants to the area and I'd also agree with you that most people seem to go out of their way to make you feel welcome, at least that has been our experience. Hope you and your family settle in well to your new home.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:44 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingwesttoeast View Post
I really do like Vienna. Like any place, it is not perfect, but there is a lot of good here. Interestingly, I have had some people (here) tell me it is not a friendly place, included some people from here. However, thus far, our experience has been quite positive.
I certainly agree. Vienna isn't perfect, but it's always seemed like a nice place to me. Especially if you have kids. We used to have a thread about random acts of kindness people would see taking place, and as I recall a good number of those seemed to happen in the Vienna area.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:43 PM

300 posts, read 1,257,725 times
I have been lurking here for a few weeks (very unexpected impending move...join the club, right?!), and I can tell everyone is very friendly and welcoming....just by reading the posts! Thanks for reporting about your experience so far.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:53 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppyglam View Post
I have been lurking here for a few weeks (very unexpected impending move...join the club, right?!)
Well... welcome to northern Virginia! Lots of Californians here, seems like half the state is moving in these days. I'm from Redondo Beach, and quite a few of the other reulars on this forum are also from CA. Feel free to ask lots of questions, we'll do our best to help if we can.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:55 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
We used to have a thread about random acts of kindness people would see taking place, and as I recall a good number of those seemed to happen in the Vienna area.
Yeah, whatever happened to that thread? I'm going to have to revive it the next time I see someone doing a random act of kindness. Which will probably be any day now.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:06 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Well... welcome to northern Virginia! Lots of Californians here, seems like half the state is moving in these days.
It's funny, I was at an event in Vienna yesterday and most of the ladies I was talking to had just moved to Vienna from California. Is anyone else noticing this? I never thought of Vienna as being especially attractive to Californians but it seems like it's become the CA magnet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia