U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 07:17 AM

230 posts, read 981,331 times

Advertisements

Wow can't believe it's already been 1 year since we arrived here in Virginia from Australia, time has certainly flown by. Just wanted to thank all of you who have been so helpful over the past year and a bit with lots helpful advice & sugestions that have helped make our relocation go as smoothly as can be expected.

So far so good, kids are very settled, husband is settled at work and appart from missing family, friends and some Aussie food I'm settled and enjoying our new life here in the USA. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 07:46 AM

8,371 posts, read 19,391,668 times
Thanks for checking in with us! I'm glad to see that you're adjusting well to life here in NOVA.

As far as food goes, have you tried contacting the Australian Embassy? They might be a good source of information on what authentic eateries are around here. (Yes, we know that Outback Steakhouse is nowhere near what you're used to.) ) At the very least, they might hold some receptions where they may serve some native dishes.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:16 AM

4,711 posts, read 11,768,885 times
Nahhh, it hasn't been a year, has it?

Say, could you describe Aussie food? The only thing I know about it, I learned on the Discovery Channel....these Aboriginal guys built a big open fire and threw this big lizard on to cook. It must be good because they could hardly wait for it to be done...even the dingos' mouths were watering!

I don't know, but I don't think we have lizards that big around here, but maybe out west?

Glad everything is going well for yas!

Old 09-21-2009, 08:47 AM

993 posts, read 2,330,365 times
Awesome. Glad things are going well for you. It has been over a year since I left Northern Virginia!

Old 09-21-2009, 11:50 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,435,293 times
Ditto on checking with the embassy. Our Aussie friends who worked there got their vegemite (sp?) fix from the commissary.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:40 PM

2,734 posts, read 7,780,541 times

YouTube - Men at work: Land down under!!!! (One of their best songs!!)

Old 09-22-2009, 05:29 AM

741 posts, read 3,708,883 times
There's this little place in the area called Outback Steakhouse... I hear they have Australian food.

Anyways, all joking aside, I'm glad you got help... that's what this forum is about! I couldn't imagine moving to the other side of the world...

Old 09-22-2009, 01:51 PM

230 posts, read 981,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD View Post
There's this little place in the area called Outback Steakhouse... I hear they have Australian food.

Anyways, all joking aside, I'm glad you got help... that's what this forum is about! I couldn't imagine moving to the other side of the world...

Don't even get me started on Outback Steakhouse!!!!!!!!!!! I refuse to even step foot in the place, they can't even get the Aussie accent right on their TV ads and none of the food on the menu comes even close to something you'd find on an Australian menu. Cheese Fries, what the????? Never heard of them until I hit US soil. Don't think they even have good Aussie beer (not meaning Fosters, Aussies don't actually drink the stuff).

Anyway most of the food we're missing are items that we've searched for high & low (including through the embassy) but it just isn't available so we will just have to stock up each time we go back to Oz to visit (had one whole suitcase full of food on our last trip home, mostly candy & chocolate bars that our girls are missing). Can't imagine what customs thought when that case went through the xray scanner!

Have found lots of online stores but OMG the prices are crazy so will leave them for special occassions. Our local whole foods has a couple of familiar items so to does World Market, yeah they stock Tim Tams! (If you've never tried them go do yourself a favour and grab a packet, so yummy)

Last edited by Melbourne Family; 09-22-2009 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-23-2009, 06:47 AM

3,524 posts, read 7,025,877 times
haha, I actually ask my parents to do the same thing when the come back from the Philippines. They usually have a suitcase or box full of treats that last about a week after they get back - lol

Old 09-26-2009, 02:47 AM

2,734 posts, read 7,780,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne Family View Post
favour
I don't know why in the US we take the U out of some words like favor, neighbor etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: