Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 11:13 PM

6 posts, read 12,377 times

Advertisements

Hi I am moving from the west coast and am in desperate need of some advice I need to find a 1 bdrm apt accepts small dogs for under 1350 a month. No sure where to start looking. Saw Witmore and Wellington Apartments on Columiba Pike but not sure about the area. Is the are good and have you heard anything about these apartments? How is the Alexandria area...where should I be looking> Any apartment complex you recommend I check out in Alexandria. My only absolute demand is that the apartments be clean, NO RODENTS! Other than that I am pretty willing to work with the apartment. I need to move in within 2 weeks. PLeASE HELP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 07:07 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatpicks123 View Post
Hi I am moving from the west coast and am in desperate need of some advice I need to find a 1 bdrm apt accepts small dogs for under 1350 a month. No sure where to start looking. Saw Witmore and Wellington Apartments on Columbia Pike but not sure about the area. Is the are good and have you heard anything about these apartments? How is the Alexandria area...where should I be looking> Any apartment complex you recommend I check out in Alexandria. My only absolute demand is that the apartments be clean, NO RODENTS! Other than that I am pretty willing to work with the apartment. I need to move in within 2 weeks. PLeASE HELP.
Three important questions we would need to are:
Where are you working?
And do you plan to drive or use transit?
How old are you? (If that's not too personal.)

That will help us pinpoint some areas for you to consider.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:56 AM

282 posts, read 873,319 times
Answers to Tone's questions would be helpful.

In the meantime, I plugged your max rent into HomesDatabase - Home for Sale and Rent in DC, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania along with the 22314 zipcode (mostly a "good" to "great" area of Alexandria) and got six results, all but one (which is likely fine, too) of which I'm fairly familiar with and would recommend. I didn't spend enough time to check on pets, but Old Town is pretty dog-tastic.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:04 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Keep in mind that Alexandria is quite large. You don't want to live all the way down Rte 1, it is a very ugly area and there is not much to do down there.

As far as Arlington, Fairlington is a good area to live in we used to rent a condo there for 1150 that was very nice. Not sure how much things are going for there these days. It is on the far side of Arlington though.

Fairlington Historic District

Rosslyn is also a good area to live in but may be pricier than 1350. There are a lot of good restaurants, things to do, close to the Metro, etc. Rosslyn is an unincorporated area of Arlington County. If you do a search on Google maps for Rosslyn, VA apartments you will find several. Rosslyn is also right across the bridge from Georgetown which has a lot of great stuff to do in as well.

Rosslyn, Arlington, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Columbia Pike area is not as nice as Rosslyn.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Keep in mind that Alexandria is quite large. You don't want to live all the way down Rte 1, it is a very ugly area and there is not much to do down there.
To clarify a bit for the OP: there is the City of Alexandria as well as the unincorporated Alexandria section of Fairfax County. The City is where you'll find the most things to do with your off-time, particularly around Old Town Alexandria. The Del Ray community is fairly active as well.

It's true that the Route 1 corridor outside the city and south of the Beltway (I-495) isn't the most visually appealing. You'll see a lot of strip malls filled with typical mid-level retail and restaurant chains. However, you'll be in relatively close walking or busing distance to the Huntington Metro. If this does turn out to be a viable option, I'd recommending renting in one of the highrise apartments near the Metro: Belle Haven Towers, Riverside or Huntington Gateway. Some of the low-rise complexes further south are better than others... but in my personal experience, there can be more issues with attitude and respect down this way. I predict this will change when employees start arriving at Fort Belvoir via the BRAC program. On the other hand, this is where you'll find some of the better retailers along this stretch.

An alternative to the Route 1 corridor would be the Kingstowne community to the SW. It's cleaner (perhaps a bit *too* sanitized IMHO) with newer apts/ condos and similar if expanded retail options. You'd also have the bonus of being between two Metro Stations (Springfield/Franconia and Van Dorn).

Old 10-02-2009, 03:54 PM

6 posts, read 12,377 times
Hi
I greatly appreciate all the information you have all provided. I wanted to answer some questions that were posted to give a better background on me and what i am looking for. I am a graduate student and will be working part time and attending school full time in the Georgetown/GWU area. I have a car but due to parking in DC would use the metro to go to and from school. I am in my mid 20's and have a small 6lb dog. I wouldn't mind a high rise, I just want to be in the nicer area of Arlington or Alexandria even if I have to pay a little more. I want to be close to the metro but also be in a safe area.

I found the Wellington Apartments in 1805 Columbia Pike, Arlington and the Arlington Park in South Arlington S. 24th street. Does anyone know if these are good areas to live and if the complex apartments are good ones??

Thanks again for you help.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:20 PM

73 posts, read 299,256 times
You would do better to stick to the areas along the orange line on the METRO. That would take you through Rosslyn, Court House, Clarendon, Virginia Square and Ballston. From Gtown University, there is a GUTS bus that can take you to the Rosslyn metro. If you are taking classes at the GMU campus in Arlington, then you'll be near the Virgina Square station.

Faillington is a nice area but doesn't have late night transportation and that might be an issue for you if you are studying. I used to live at the Avalon apartments near Ballston. The units were nice and clean and even included a parking space, pool and tennis court. Downside was that they keep raising the rent every year 5%.

Check Craigslist for those Metro stops and you should be able to find something - lots of condo owners looking for someone to rent their unit. Good luck!!

Old 10-04-2009, 02:50 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzjht1 View Post
You would do better to stick to the areas along the orange line on the METRO. That would take you through Rosslyn, Court House, Clarendon, Virginia Square and Ballston. From Gtown University, there is a GUTS bus that can take you to the Rosslyn metro. If you are taking classes at the GMU campus in Arlington, then you'll be near the Virgina Square station.
He said GWU, which is in DC on Blue/Orange.

I think for 1350, Columbia Pike is the only place you'll find 1 bedrooms. You can take the bus to Blue. Try to stay closer to the Pentagon, since that is a nicer area than further west on the Pike.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:26 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatpicks123 View Post
Hi
I greatly appreciate all the information you have all provided. I wanted to answer some questions that were posted to give a better background on me and what i am looking for. I am a graduate student and will be working part time and attending school full time in the Georgetown/GWU area. I have a car but due to parking in DC would use the metro to go to and from school. I am in my mid 20's and have a small 6lb dog. I wouldn't mind a high rise, I just want to be in the nicer area of Arlington or Alexandria even if I have to pay a little more. I want to be close to the metro but also be in a safe area.

I found the Wellington Apartments in 1805 Columbia Pike, Arlington and the Arlington Park in South Arlington S. 24th street. Does anyone know if these are good areas to live and if the complex apartments are good ones??

Thanks again for you help.
The complexes are in good areas. Personally, I'd go for the one on Columbia Pike because the one on 24th St S is right next to I-395 and one of the biggest pains of my apt is being next to I-395 which is loud.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:10 PM

I don't know about the pet policy but check out Mason Hall and Monticello Lee. They are in North and South Old Town (Alexandria), respectively. I think you might be able to get a 1B for around your preferred price or a little more. Old Town is safe and you'd be a short bus ride away from the Metro's Blue and Yellow Lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia