U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 07:47 AM

32,536 posts, read 76,120,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krism42 View Post
Ewww, so gross. Between those and the ever-increasing in size camel crickets, I just don't know. The camel crickets, of whom I have a severe phobia, are mainly showing up in my bathroom, 2 of which were located in the tub, which is adeep claw-foot, so they can't be jumping into the tub can they? I have started stopping the drain at all times. And the stink bugs, I had to stop Halloween decorating yesterday as they quickly surrounded my home....how long will they be around? Yesterday was the first I noticed them, and I read one lady's blog that said she walked inside and found three in her hair! I have a lot of hair!!!! Will they die off as it gets colder?
Is THAT what those things are called? My complex in Reston has had incessant cricket infestation problems, and every once-in-a-while I'll have to scoop up a HUGE cricket into one of my Vitamin Water bottles---usually he/she will take up the entire bottom of the bottle! I've never seen such massive bugs since I moved down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 01:25 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,284,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Is THAT what those things are called? My complex in Reston has had incessant cricket infestation problems, and every once-in-a-while I'll have to scoop up a HUGE cricket into one of my Vitamin Water bottles---usually he/she will take up the entire bottom of the bottle! I've never seen such massive bugs since I moved down here.

Yeah -- those big crickets are DISGUSTING! I am sure it is not "green" but I get my husband to spray an insecticde all around the outside of the house -- kills them DEAD!!! What drives me crazy is when one gets in the house and starts chirping and you can't sleep. It is usually the little ones that chirp the loudest.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:50 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,484,152 times
Quote:
I thought they were cute!
I think they're cute, too. Beetles are fun to watch.

Locusts always make me smile. Whenever I hear their twanging tune it brings back so many good memories of hot summer evenings (in the same way the smell of coconut tanning oil brings back memories of the beach). Plus there's something so appealing about hearing a truly wild sound like that. Reminds me that even though I live near the city I'm still part of the natural world.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:20 PM

32,536 posts, read 76,120,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I think they're cute, too. Beetles are fun to watch.

Locusts always make me smile. Whenever I hear their twanging tune it brings back so many good memories of hot summer evenings (in the same way the smell of coconut tanning oil brings back memories of the beach). Plus there's something so appealing about hearing a truly wild sound like that. Reminds me that even though I live near the city I'm still part of the natural world.
I don't mind most bugs. I'm actually quite intrigued by them. I just HATE those darn cicadas. Perhaps I'm just overly-sensitive to noise, but that pulsating sound they make over and over again just drives me insane!

Old 10-04-2009, 06:48 PM

26,571 posts, read 40,776,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
This week, several hundred thousand residents of Pennsylvania moved to NOVA. In fact, a few thousand probably moved into your neighborhood. But the good news is, these new residents don't need apartments, they won't be driving at rush hour, and they won't be standing in line at the DMV.

Pennsylvania Stink Bugs have arrived and you'll soon see lots of them clinging to your house and windows. They'll be visiting until spring (but IMO they'll probably end up moving in. Seems like everyone ends up moving here!)

Now don't worry--these little critters don't bite and they won't hurt your house. The important thing to know is..... don't stomp on them. Don't squash them, don't spray them, don't swat them! They aren't called stink bugs for nothing.

The Health Department has been getting quite a few calls about this. Health Director Dr. David Goodfriend says Stink Bugs are not a threat to people’s health. Stilll, they recommend keeping the critters out of your house by sealing any openings around windows, doors and pipes with caulk. Be sure to seal even the smallest openings.

Some sources suggest sucking them up with a vaccuum but that might backfire. There are lots of spinning parts in a vacuum cleaner that will chop the bugs into pieces and, well, release the stink. A better idea is to scoop up the stink bugs and drop them into a jar partially filled with water. Using a stiff piece of paper or a card for the scoop. Then dump them back ouside.

Loudoun Times
I just spent the weekend in Pennsylvania camping and these bugs were all up in my room. They also make a lot of noise. Now i'm regretting letting my friends use my favorite Air Force One shoes to kill them all weekend.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:50 PM

982 posts, read 3,441,349 times
Good to know. I was wondering why I'm suddenly seeing them EVERYWHERE.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:04 PM

696 posts, read 1,666,312 times
We just bought our house a little over a week ago. I came one night to do some cleaning before move-in and opened the door to the laundry/utility room and saw 5 of those crickets. They scared the shhiitt out of me!! Coming from WA state I had NO idea what they were. We've since figured it out and even taught our 4yo to keep the door closed so that they don't get in the house. That's the last thing that I need my infant to find while crawling around on the floor. Those stink bugs are very intriguing, but really need to take a hike! I think they got into our town house right before we moved out and they stink!

Old 10-04-2009, 08:30 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,445,217 times
Quote:
I don't mind most bugs. I'm actually quite intrigued by them. I just HATE those darn cicadas. Perhaps I'm just overly-sensitive to noise, but that pulsating sound they make over and over again just drives me insane!

Well, you better get the heck outta here before 2021....that's the year that the 17 year variety will do their thing again....ZILLIONS of 'em!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:28 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,554,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Well, you better get the heck outta here before 2021....that's the year that the 17 year variety will do their thing again....ZILLIONS of 'em!
LOL, those things were so much fun! I got a real kick out of them the last time they visited. I think it was back in 2003. They were hilarious.

You know, I think cicadas could teach us all a lesson on how to live life.

Think about it: cicadas are happy creatures. They don't bite, they don't fight. They don't threaten or harm anyone. All they want to do is stretch out in the sun and when evening comes they sing and dance until they find a mate. As soon as they get a little bada-bing bada-boom they dig themselves a little bed in a flower garden and die with a smile on their face. Even in death they help the earth because they nourish the soil.

Not a bad way to live, IMO.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:57 AM

14,883 posts, read 26,765,172 times
It's was funny when they were here last - I used to take the phone outside so folks could hear them. They sounded like the old-time sci-fi movies of alien spaceships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia