Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-15-2009, 04:40 PM
 
257 posts, read 565,535 times
Reputation: 80

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Homes in Reston are surprisingly expensive for being this far removed from the city.
Well, it doesn't hurt that the "Dulles Corridor" has a bunch of tech jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2009, 10:17 PM
 
Location: Mountain View, CA
1,152 posts, read 3,199,925 times
Reputation: 1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous703 View Post
Well, it doesn't hurt that the "Dulles Corridor" has a bunch of tech jobs.
A key point. Lots of people think price is related to closeness to the city - but not really. It's really closeness to major job centers. In *most* metro areas, that is synonymous with "close to the city" because all the jobs are in the city core.

This area is an exception to that rule. The western suburbs aren't really "traditional" suburbs because they feature big time job centers. Thus, the price just doesn't drop off like you'd expect otherwise. If moving to Reston meant consignment to a 1 hour commute into DC every day, yeah, it'd be cheap. But it doesn't, because for many (most?) people living out there, they work out there too.

More traditional "bedroom community" type suburbs can be found in the I-95 corridor. There, as you get further south from say Lorton, prices do indeed drop as you might expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Home is where the heart is
15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Reputation: 19090
These days, people are moving here for jobs in the Reston-Leesburg corridor. They work in Reston, they play in Reston, they live in Reston. They don't consider themselves far removed from the city when everything they need is right in their own neighborhood. A lot of people I know don't go into DC at all. They don't consider themselves far removed from the center of things, they think DC is now far removed from the center of things.

Sort of like San Jose and San Francisco. There was a time San Jose was just a tiny exurb "far from the city." But now San Jose is where people live, work and play, that's the core of their life. San Francisco becomes an after thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Reputation: 42988
I like seeing the photos of the same spots in October and March (with and without leaves on the trees). Very interesting perspective. I'd also like to see what some of those mod statues look like in January, with snow and icicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 04:44 PM
 
257 posts, read 565,535 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
This area is an exception to that rule. The western suburbs aren't really "traditional" suburbs because they feature big time job centers. Thus, the price just doesn't drop off like you'd expect otherwise. If moving to Reston meant consignment to a 1 hour commute into DC every day, yeah, it'd be cheap.
Granted, my apartment in Reston isn't on the metro line yet, but comparing my rent to a building I used to live in off of Lee Highway straight north of Courthouse metro, my rent is about $300 less than what they charge for a 1 BDR. (I pick this place as a comparison 'cause metro access comes at a premium... want a 'fair' comparison here.) So it's cheaper, but not cheap. According to rent.com, it's hard to find much in Woodbridge below $1000/mo.

Quote:
But it doesn't, because for many (most?) people living out there, they work out there too.
That includes me, and even ScranBarre! I have a 10-minute, reverse commute to work. It's total bliss as far as DC commutes go. ScranBarre was gonna work in Herndon, but the G changed his location on him. Now he's in Tysons, to which I say "close enough."

The funny thing is, I gave living in Arlington some serious thought. If I were to do that, I *would* live on the metro line, no questions asked. I'd still have to drive to work, but the purpose of the metro would be to get me to things in the city. But that location comes with a cost -- about $700/mo more than I pay way out, in OMG, Reston. Truth is, I don't go out much during the week, and it's not that hard to get into "the city" from here on the weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 04:50 PM
 
257 posts, read 565,535 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
These days, people are moving here for jobs in the Reston-Leesburg corridor. They work in Reston, they play in Reston, they live in Reston. They don't consider themselves far removed from the city when everything they need is right in their own neighborhood. A lot of people I know don't go into DC at all. They don't consider themselves far removed from the center of things, they think DC is now far removed from the center of things.
You must know old people I still head into the city, 'cause I do like the dining there. I also head in for sporting events -- Nats and Caps to be specific. I'm far from a die hard fan, but I do enjoy going to sporting events. I wish the dining was a bit less chain-y out here, but besides that, I like the location. Close to work, cheaper rent, and reasonable access to the city when I want it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Marshall-Shadeland, Pittsburgh, PA
32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Reputation: 19101
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous703 View Post
You must know old people I still head into the city, 'cause I do like the dining there. I also head in for sporting events -- Nats and Caps to be specific. I'm far from a die hard fan, but I do enjoy going to sporting events. I wish the dining was a bit less chain-y out here, but besides that, I like the location. Close to work, cheaper rent, and reasonable access to the city when I want it.
I was going to say the same thing. Ironically I'm about to hop into the shower to pick up a colleague of mine as we head down to Vienna to take the Metro into Foggy Bottom to celebrate a friend's birthday. Sunday I'll be back on the Metro to do the 5K run in the District to honor police officers. I might even be in DC tomorrow too from what I've been hearing from friends. They can't build the darn Silver Line quickly enough! Double my taxes! Just get it here already! ARGGHHH!! LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2009, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Home is where the heart is
15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Reputation: 19090
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous703 View Post
You must know old people I still head into the city, 'cause I do like the dining there. I also head in for sporting events -- Nats and Caps to be specific. I'm far from a die hard fan, but I do enjoy going to sporting events. I wish the dining was a bit less chain-y out here, but besides that, I like the location. Close to work, cheaper rent, and reasonable access to the city when I want it.
OK, you've intrigued me. I'm always up for learning new things, and this sounds like a perfect excuse for a restaurant challenge. What are a few good restaurants you'd recommend? We'd like to have a series of "girls night out" adventures where we try a restaurant downtown and then try a restaurant in Reston. This could be fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2009, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Home is where the heart is
15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Reputation: 19090
By the way, has anyone tried Passion Fish restaurant in the Town Center? We are trying to decide which RTC restaurant to use for our challenge, and that one looked interesting. Morton's is great but we've been there a few times and want to try something new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2009, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Marshall-Shadeland, Pittsburgh, PA
32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Reputation: 19101
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
By the way, has anyone tried Passion Fish restaurant in the Town Center? We are trying to decide which RTC restaurant to use for our challenge, and that one looked interesting. Morton's is great but we've been there a few times and want to try something new.
I've always wanted to try Passion Fish but have always been edgy about how few people I ever see dining there. If you're up for some Thai food, why not try Busara? I've never eaten there, but colleagues have said it's the best Thai food in Reston. I've also heard good things about that French place "La Madeleine" (spelling) in the Spectrum Center, near one of Reston's 8,000+ Starbuck's. My personal favorite is still Clyde's (even though I got sick the last time I ate there it was my FIFTH time there). I like the food there better than the food at Jackson's, but most of my friends are the opposite. I have yet to dine at Paolo's. Actually, come to think of it, I don't know if there's even ONE non-"chain" restaurant in the town center (besides Passion Fish and American Tap Room?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top