Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-17-2009, 10:55 AM
 
139 posts, read 292,919 times
Reputation: 58

Advertisements

I've been to Passion Fish for lunch, and I didn't have a very good meal. It was a nice space though. I'm not sure if it was just what I ordered. I did see some yummy looking crab cakes on my way out, so maybe if I'd gotten those, it would have been better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2009, 08:47 AM
 
257 posts, read 565,535 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I was going to say the same thing. Ironically I'm about to hop into the shower to pick up a colleague of mine as we head down to Vienna to take the Metro into Foggy Bottom to celebrate a friend's birthday. Sunday I'll be back on the Metro to do the 5K run in the District to honor police officers. I might even be in DC tomorrow too from what I've been hearing from friends. They can't build the darn Silver Line quickly enough! Double my taxes! Just get it here already! ARGGHHH!! LOL!
Dude... how long does it take you to get to Vienna from Reston? When I head in, I always drive to East Falls Church. Take the toll road all the way to 66, then exit 69, and the station is pretty much "right there." I bet you time wise, it's all-around quicker than Vienna. (EFC-WFC-Dunn Loring-Vienna is a pretty long stretch of rail.) Granted, sometimes parking sucks. The lot there is small, so if you have to, you can keep going and park in the Ballston Commons parking garage. I did my undergrad at GW, and parking on the streets there can be done, and on the weekends, the campus garages aren't terribly expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 08:56 AM
 
257 posts, read 565,535 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
OK, you've intrigued me. I'm always up for learning new things, and this sounds like a perfect excuse for a restaurant challenge. What are a few good restaurants you'd recommend? We'd like to have a series of "girls night out" adventures where we try a restaurant downtown and then try a restaurant in Reston. This could be fun!
Keep in mind that I'm not a food critic, but...

I'm a fan of the District Chophouse. Sam and Harry's is very good too. (Er, what counts as a chain? Does multiple locations (more than one) a chain make? (S&H has four across the country...) Cap City Brewery is on the list... Also, my fiance and I like Momiji Japanese Restaurant for sushi (it's in Chinatown near the Verizon Center). It's good quality at reasonable prices, with a great ambiance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Reputation: 42988
There are a couple of non-chain places in RTC. Jackson's, as was mentioned before. Market Street Bar & Grill is not a chain. And there's also a little deli near the bike racks that's not a chain. Why does being a chain automatically condemn you, anyway? My favorite place to eat in RTC is McCormick & Schmick's. I liked that restaurant in Seattle when it was a single entity restaurant. Now they've opened one in Reston that's just as good. I suppose that makes it a chain but the food is still just as good as it was when the restaurant was a single entity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 12:36 PM
 
257 posts, read 565,535 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
There are a couple of non-chain places in RTC. Jackson's, as was mentioned before. Market Street Bar & Grill is not a chain. And there's also a little deli near the bike racks that's not a chain. Why does being a chain automatically condemn you, anyway? My favorite place to eat in RTC is McCormick & Schmick's. I liked that restaurant in Seattle when it was a single entity restaurant. Now they've opened one in Reston that's just as good. I suppose that makes it a chain but the food is still just as good as it was when the restaurant was a single entity.
Not sure what makes a chain, but M&S/M&S Grill definitely qualifies (M&S is all over the country now.) FWIW, Big Bowl, Mon Ami Gabi (and down the road in Tysons... Maggianos and Wildfire) all have the same corporate parent.

I think people tend to condemn chains because they're looking for "something different." Especially when one travels, why go to an M&S on the road when you can go to one at home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Reputation: 42988
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous703 View Post
I think people tend to condemn chains because they're looking for "something different." Especially when one travels, why go to an M&S on the road when you can go to one at home?
I totally get this. If I was travelling I'd probably want to try something local over a place I'd already been to back home. But one thing I've noticed over the years is most of the individually owned places aren't really "unique."

A lot of times when I go to those little hole in the wall places downtown (or in Leesburg) I find the food tastes like the same thing I'd get in any other restaurant. The owner has one restaurant, not several, but that doesn't make his food unique. This is why we asked for specific recommendations this time around. Just because you're "not a chain" doesn't make you good. If you want unique you can go to the Montana Grill in Cascades Marketplace. Buffalo burgers, etc. But even though it's unique food (and very tasty I might add), there's more than one of them so it's a chain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 01:52 PM
 
257 posts, read 565,535 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I totally get this. If I was travelling I'd probably want to try something local over a place I'd already been to back home. But one thing I've noticed over the years is most of the individually owned places aren't really "unique."
True that. My fiance and I went to Charcoal Kabob (in the Kmart complex in Herndon) and it was a dud. The place had the atmosphere of a cafeteria, and to boot, cost us $30. The food was good, but for the experience, over priced. I look for value more than raw $ when I eat out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Reputation: 42988
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous703 View Post
True that. My fiance and I went to Charcoal Kabob (in the Kmart complex in Herndon) and it was a dud. The place had the atmosphere of a cafeteria, and to boot, cost us $30. The food was good, but for the experience, over priced. I look for value more than raw $ when I eat out.
LOL, I don't like most of the places in that complex. In fact I was surprised to hear that the German restaurant there was good. Now I'll have to go try it, because I've gotten curious.

Has anyone eaten at Rio Grande at RTC? I always see a lot of people there. I'm in the mood for Mexican food tonight (must be the cold weather).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 02:59 PM
 
257 posts, read 565,535 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL, I don't like most of the places in that complex. In fact I was surprised to hear that the German restaurant there was good. Now I'll have to go try it, because I've gotten curious.

Has anyone eaten at Rio Grande at RTC? I always see a lot of people there. I'm in the mood for Mexican food tonight (must be the cold weather).
Hehe. I mentioned that in the actual restaurant thread earlier today. Quite frankly, the fajitas there are a must -- you won't go wrong. Both the chicken and the steak are equally as good. I've also had the cheddar stuffed shrimp wrapped in bacon (or something like that) which was also very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, formerly NoVA and Phila
9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Reputation: 10880
I've eaten at the Rio Grande in Bethesda many times and it is YUM!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top