Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2009, 09:29 AM

30 posts, read 111,866 times

Advertisements

If you know the Sacramento neighborhoods and public schools (elementary level) and now live in NOVA - I would love to get some advice.

I am at a complete loss as to to where we could live (SFH 3-4 bdrms, good school, sense of community, husband can take metro/bus/train to the Wash Monument end of the mall). Would love a little town (with a vibrant downtown...i.e. wine bar! but that's really pushing it). We would rent at first (up to $2500/month). McLean? Falls Church city? parts of Alexandria? Trying to keep commute down to 30 min.

I would be at home with 5 yr old and newborn so getting out and about would be great. Currently I can put baby in stroller and walk down tree-lined streets on sidewalks. It's a slower paced life here BUT California budget cuts will break us if we stay! Not to mention that the days of plus 100 degree heat do get to you. I grew up in VA so I know the weather. I also know the traffic around DC so I'm trying to find a way to avoid my husband having to drive to work.

Thank you!

cvilleliz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 09:46 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
There are alot of posts here from transplants, including California. Click on the "Search" button and put in your key words. These posts should help you out with suggestions to live, schools, costs, etc. Good luck!

Old 10-23-2009, 10:01 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvilleliz View Post
If you know the Sacramento neighborhoods and public schools (elementary level) and now live in NOVA - I would love to get some advice.

I am at a complete loss as to to where we could live (SFH 3-4 bdrms, good school, sense of community, husband can take metro/bus/train to the Wash Monument end of the mall). Would love a little town (with a vibrant downtown...i.e. wine bar! but that's really pushing it). We would rent at first (up to $2500/month). McLean? Falls Church city? parts of Alexandria? Trying to keep commute down to 30 min.

I would be at home with 5 yr old and newborn so getting out and about would be great. Currently I can put baby in stroller and walk down tree-lined streets on sidewalks. It's a slower paced life here BUT California budget cuts will break us if we stay! Not to mention that the days of plus 100 degree heat do get to you. I grew up in VA so I know the weather. I also know the traffic around DC so I'm trying to find a way to avoid my husband having to drive to work.

Thank you!

cvilleliz
I should preface this by saying that my one visit to "Old Sac" downtown probably doesn't qualify me as an expert on Sacramento.

At your preferred price point and distance, you may find more townhomes than single family homes although it's not impossible to find the latter. If a quick search on a realtor site is any indication, there are newer and bigger homes available at $3000 than at $2500 in places like Falls Church, Arlington and Alexandria. McLean would be a stretch as that is a particularly upscale area that includes Tysons Corner, a major job center.

I think Falls Church does fit a lot of what you're looking for, sans perhaps the wine bar. Your husband could catch the Metro from there as well. Another option, albeit further out, would be Reston. If you like tree-lined streets, it's practically a forest in there. The trade-off would be a longer commute for your husband, which would include a bus to the Metro.

Convenience vs. commute is a conundrum here that is discussed regularly on the forum. Many households discover that they have to realign their priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia