Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 02:26 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times

Advertisements

Looks like many people figure out how to afford the area and aren't repelled by the COL. They all aren't surgeons or lawyers, and they aren't dual incomers, because they're single.

washingtonpost.com

More and more area households are made up of singles. Not single people rooming together, but singles living alone (one person households).

From the article:

In most places, they make up 20 percent to 30 percent of all households. But in the District and Alexandria, close to half the households now are made up of singles."

"Generation Y wants to be in urban-lite locations," said Rollin Stanley, director of planning for Montgomery County. "As Washington has become an increasingly popular place to live and prices have increased, a lot are moving into the first suburbs, like us, to find more affordable housing close to transit.

"This sort of rubber stamps Washington as the nation's mecca for singles," said demographer William Frey of the Brookings Institution.

I've been seeing the transformation of Parker Gray in Old Town, along with new mid-rises popping up all around the north end. Some of the areas that look a bit sketchy might be good values. The Potomac Yards area also is getting a lot of new development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 02:34 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
I'm amazed singles can do that without roommates, but hey--that's good news, IMO, and my hat is off to the people who can manage it. There's some serious money here, that's for certain. And those home owner singles tend to marry each other and put down roots in the area. More good news.

One of the things I really like about Nova is our inner ring suburbs are healthy and vibrant. That's not true everywere.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:00 PM

257 posts, read 565,535 times
Ok... I do have nomenclature/methodology issue on this one... they keep talking about "households." The article doesn't clearly address this issue, and I don't care how you slice it and dice it, but if I rent a room from someone, I am a "single income household" and they, presuming they are single with no kids, are also "single income households." So, under the same roof, there are two single-income households, or two households with one person.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:33 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
I agree it's not completely clear about roommates, but they do use terms like "live-alones" and "living alone." That may or may not be a reporter's misunderstanding of the census, but the intent, to me, would rule out unmarried people living 2 or more under one roof. I wasn't "living alone" back when I lived in a group house of unmarried guys.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:51 PM

257 posts, read 565,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I agree it's not completely clear about roommates, but they do use terms like "live-alones" and "living alone." That may or may not be a reporter's misunderstanding of the census, but the intent, to me, would rule out unmarried people living 2 or more under one roof. I wasn't "living alone" back when I lived in a group house of unmarried guys.
Ok... I looked at a "sample census form" and the options presented clearly distinguish between family and boarders.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:39 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous703 View Post
Ok... I do have nomenclature/methodology issue on this one... they keep talking about "households." The article doesn't clearly address this issue, and I don't care how you slice it and dice it, but if I rent a room from someone, I am a "single income household" and they, presuming they are single with no kids, are also "single income households." So, under the same roof, there are two single-income households, or two households with one person.
Yeah I thought about that too. I talk to my friends and family in Georgia more than I talk to my roommates so I consider myself a single income household too at least according to the IRS.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:11 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
"But in the District and Alexandria, close to half the households now are made up of singles."

You can put a lot of single households under one roof in one of those facilities for active adult or various retirement classifications. My next door neighbors on both sides moved to one of those new condominium communities.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:44 PM

754 posts, read 1,738,830 times
It is definitely expensive to be a single person, with a single income, and no roommates living inside the beltway, and some areas outside the beltway. But, personally, I love the lifestyle my area affords me. As they say "you gotta pay to play".

Old 10-28-2009, 06:53 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalyzeThis View Post
It is definitely expensive to be a single person, with a single income, and no roommates living inside the beltway, and some areas outside the beltway. But, personally, I love the lifestyle my area affords me. As they say "you gotta pay to play".
To that, I say no thanks Northern VA. I'll do my playing elsewhere. Why pay $1200 for a 1 bed in a so-so area here when I can get one for half that in Louisville or even in Hampton Roads (two places I would actually like living.)?

Old 10-28-2009, 09:02 PM

754 posts, read 1,738,830 times
Alanboy, hence the reason we live in a free society. I actually lived in Hampton Roads before I moved here and had a very nice house with a mortgage only a couple hundred dollars more than what I pay in rent for an apt with less than half the square feet, but.... I HATED IT. Am I saying, NoVa is the only place I can have the lifestyle I want? Probably not. Manhattan is another, but my cost would more than double

Honestly though, people complain about the costs of many metro areas (DC, LA, NYC, Boston, Chicago, etc.) but the reality is it's all basic Economics. If people did not choose to live in these areas, then there would be excess supply and prices would drop. Until that time, as I said before you either "pay to play" or move on. I wish you luck in your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia