Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:32 PM

12 posts, read 115,907 times

Advertisements

Guess it's my lucky day. Got pulled over last Sunday on Sunset Hill Dr in Reston. I bought my car new back in March this year and I thought the safety sticker expires on the same date as my license plate (which is March 2010).

I explained this to the officer and added that this is my first new car, the car salesman mentioned "all have been taken care for a year", I am a foreigner and I have been to the area less than a year, blah blah blah. The officer gave me a ticket anyway and the court day is Dec 14.

I appreciate your advice as to

1) Will this violation cause points on my driving record and increase my insurance premium?

2) Is it worthy to hire a lawyer for this case?

3) If I go to the court without a lawyer. Should I plead guilty and ask the judge to consider this and that, or should I plead not guilty and give the same reasons. In the culture where I am from, people plead guilty first and say something like: this is my first violation, I got my car inspected the very next day and I promise never do it again, don't know whether this will work in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 08:22 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
No, there are no demerit points assessed on an expired inspection ticket.

It will not affect your insurance premiums...it is not a "moving" violation.

Any kind of lawyer will cost WAY more than the fine...which is probably under $100.

I would raise hell with the dealer and maybe they'll reimburse the fine or comp you future service or something of equal value.

This happens all the time....often the dealer will put on the inspection sticker when they receive the car, and then not sell the car for a few months....so you don't get a full year out of the sticker. I always INSIST that that they slap a NEW sticker on the car or I'm not taking delivery. I've never gotten an argument over it....the inspector comes running, sticker book in hand.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:53 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
That happened to me once too, I had to go out of town unexpectedly and so didn't get the inspection in time. Just pay the ticket.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:21 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,424,853 times
What you received is basically the equivalent of an expensive parking ticket. No points and it doesn't even go on your driving record. Just a fine - some easy money for the county coffers.

Get the inspection done ASAP (you have to do it anyway since it's expired) and go to court. Don't tell your sob story about being a foreigner, first car, etc. Just say you didn't realize it was expired and got it done asap as soon as you received the ticket. The fine will probably be reduced or the ticket even dismissed.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:59 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
Unless the cost of the ticket would be more than the cost of a day off work, I'd just send a check to the address on the ticket and be done with it. Of course, get your car inspected immediately, go back to the dealer, etc. But the ticket won't hurt you at all, no points, no nothing. It was a $50 ticket last time I had one (granted, that was 2001-ish)

That said, I could see forgetting to renew a registration since the dates are tiny little sitckers on your license plate, but the date the inspection is due is right on your windshield. Although, perhaps no one explained that the number correspond to a year and month. I've had tickets for expiered inspections before, usually b/c I forgot about them, was out of money, etc.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:18 AM

12 posts, read 115,907 times
Default It's a relief to know this is not a big deal

Thank you everyone.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:58 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Default There's more to life than worrying about car inspections

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
Get the inspection done ASAP ... and go to court.
Concur! Just get the inspection ASAP. A lot of service stations, MIDAS, Goodyear, etc. will all do the safety inspection. Just pay the ticket and you'll know better next time. Good luck!

Old 10-29-2009, 12:12 PM

206 posts, read 432,301 times
I had this happen to me in Prince George County, VA. The officer told me that it was normal for them to be dismissed if you got the inspection done ASAP and went to court. Sure enough, I followed his advice, and the judge dismissed the ticket - along with everybody else that did the same thing.

I don't know if it's different up here, but it may be worth a try. IIRC, the ticket was rather expensive - like $250 or so.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:52 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
It does go on the record but no points are assigned. It is a non moving violation. Although not technically a CWL (Complied with law) ticket I would always allow the person to get the vehicle inspected ASAP and bring the receipt proving this was done and I'd ask the prosecutor to drop or CWL the ticket. You might try this. Feel free to call the officer to see if he is willing to help with this. If he isn't he doesn't have final say. The prosecutor assigned to court that day does.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:58 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
A Fairfax County police officer giving out a traffic ticket in Reston? Wow! I'm shocked! Crime has been steadily on the increase in Fairfax County. I'd much prefer the police trying to stem all of the brazen robberies and car thefts as of late at Reston Town Center (kind of my 'hood) than to be harassing newcomers about stickers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia