Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 07:47 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,458,534 times

Advertisements

Hi all = one of these weekends I want to get my kids into DC. I want to narrow down what should be our highest priority of uniquely DC sights (ie. not going to rush out to the Zoo because they've been to tons of zoos).

I'm thinking White House etc, but I know I can't do an actual tour with just our little family...any suggestions? we've already been out to the Air and Space Museum in Chantilly, so Museums are fine, but not the highest priority again. Any suggestions?

Oh and where woudl I park if we drove in...best way to go from Leesburg area...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 08:35 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,555,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
Hi all = one of these weekends I want to get my kids into DC. I want to narrow down what should be our highest priority of uniquely DC sights (ie. not going to rush out to the Zoo because they've been to tons of zoos).

I'm thinking White House etc, but I know I can't do an actual tour with just our little family...any suggestions? we've already been out to the Air and Space Museum in Chantilly, so Museums are fine, but not the highest priority again. Any suggestions?

The most important thing is to keep it simple. Don't overdo it. Really put yourself in their minds b/c if you don't, you'll be frustrated. Ask yourself: am I going to this museum b/c it really interests ME or am I doing it b/c I think they'll enjoy it?

My youngsters really enjoyed seeing the Washington monument, for example. The long elevator ride and the amazing views were thrilling to them. Note: Go early to get the tickets -- like 8:30 am!

As far as the most popular museums, which are, hands down, Natural History and Air and Space: it really helps to go during off hours, when they are not so crowded. You really get more out of the experience, both educationally and sanity speaking.

Expect to hit only 2 museums at the most. You'll be amazed how exhausted you get after going to one!

If you do have a personal interest in seeing a museum that they might not want to see, think of ways to make it interesting to them. Put things into context for them. Find the gizmos, gadgets, and curiousities that really draw their eye.

As far as parking. I would definitely take the metro train in if you go during a work day. Parking can be a real bear. Even the workers park in the spots that are really meant for tourists (they even run out and move their cars every 3 hours -- trust me, I used to work downtown). On Saturdays and Sundays, you'll have no problem finding parking.

As far as eating, pack plenty of snacks and water. Food can be quite expensive and hard to get to on the mall with little kids. Wear a back pack to carry them in as well as your camera, etc. Note that some museums insist you check in your back pack, such as the art museums. If your child is 4 or younger, bring a stroller. Its an absolute necessity. Again, regulations may vary, but a friend was able to bring hers no problem into Natural History.

Have a great time -- you'll love it!

Old 11-14-2009, 08:37 AM

428 posts, read 1,116,007 times
If you're thinking White House at all, then get in touch with either your U.S. Congress(wo)man or your U.S. Senator. You have to request tickets far in advance. You probably already realize that but I thought it bore repeating just in case -- no point getting the kids excited about a tour that won't happen that day.

Ummm... Call up Nats Park and ask about taking a tour. (No idea what their policy is, but it sounds like fun.)

Check out the Millennium Stage offerings at the Kennedy Center and catch something kid-friendly.

Tour National Cathedral, then head outside with some good binoculars and go on a gargoyle hunt.

Of course the monuments are a must-see. I particularly like the FDR Memorial, as it's more interactive than the others.

Pretty soon there'll be ice skating on the National Mall.

I know you said the Zoo's not a top priority, but do check out their schedule of feedings & animal training sessions that are open to the public. You may find something there that your kids would love.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:49 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,251,026 times
Make sure you take a few minutes to sit on Einstein's lap.
Albert Einstein Memorial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In warm weather the waterfalls at the F.D. Roosevelt memorial are fun.
Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A hike in the woods on Teddy Roosevelt Island is fun and it is exciting to find the statue in the middle.
Theodore Roosevelt Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are very good views of the city from the rooftop terrace at the Kennedy Center and also a free concert every day at 6:00.
John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Kennedy Center: Millennium Stage, Free Performances Every Day at 6 p.m.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:28 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,805,907 times
I agree that climbing the Washington Monument is a must-see. If you don't want to get there early to make sure you get a ticket, you can book them in advance at: Tour Detail - Washington Monument, Washington Monument , District Of Columbia - Recreation.gov There is a service charge of $1.50 per ticket this way, while they are free at the base. It may not be too crowded this time of year, though, so it may not be hard to get tickets at the base. We bought them in advance in the springtime. It was worth the small charge to arrive at the time we wanted. From the top of the Monument, you can see all of DC and point out the landmarks.

Walk by the White House. I think that is the most impressive. Kids might not even appreciate the inside tour, but SEEING where the President lives is pretty cool. And that is something you can ONLY do here in DC. It's especially nice to go around Christmas time to see it decorated and to see the National Christmas tree and all of the trees decorated from around the nation. You can take pictures in front of the gate. This would be great for holiday cards.

Go to the Lincoln Memorial and have the kids climb around it. Show them the back of the penny while you are there. That's pretty neat.

I agree with not trying to do too much. If you are living here, there is enough time to check out the sites on several weekends. The museums are very informative but can sometimes be a bit boring for children. Having said that, my children like the Museum of the American Indian. My husband takes them there quite frequently. They also like the Natural History one. Don't try to cover the whole museum in one day, though. Pick a room that they'd be most interested in - the gems, the animals, etc. Another great museum is the Postal museum. But I think the museums are secondary to the DC landmarks. Have fun!

Forgot to add, I would park your car at the Metro and ride in. That's another nice experience - and very different than the NYC subway. It's much easier than trying to find a spot in the city.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:02 AM

577 posts, read 2,062,295 times
The Natural History museum is usually popular with kids. You can visit the website to see what special exhibits they have at any given time. That museum also has an IMAX theater which is fun for kids.

The Air and Space museum is also popular with kids and has some interactive exhibits for kids. They also have an IMAX theater and a planetarium.

Next to the National Gallery of Art is the sculpture garden and the ice skating rink (or fountain in warmer weather). The sculpture garden is fun for kids.

As far as monuments and memorials, I recommend the FDR and WWII memorials. They each have water features and aspects that might appeal to young children. Going to the top of the Washington Monument should be fun for the kids and walking around the White House is a good idea, too.

Do pack your own lunch and take Metro. Sometimes just riding the train is enough entertainment for kids that age. :-)

Remember that whatever you do will entail a lot of walking so do what you think is best to accommodate your own family.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:15 PM

17,416 posts, read 16,579,569 times
The American History museum is also worth a look. My kids loved the transportation exhibit (they are both big into vehicles) and there are some hands on activities for kids as well.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:23 PM

11 posts, read 16,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post

If not the largest, then surely the most expensive, is the National Shrine of Immaculate Conception. It is in NE DC and has parking on campus. It is packed every weekend with tour buses and people doing their own pilgrimage. You don't have to be Catholic. They have a cafeteria, book store, and offer guided tours through the Shrine (upper and lower). It is a magnificent place to behold. The dome is actually gold and it breath-taking.

Even though you are not so keen on museums...you can not pass up the new National Museum of American Indian. The only other one is in New York. They are constantly having live and interactive workshops for children and adults. Great way to connect with the indigenous population in the US, as many of the people working in the museum are of a tribe.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:32 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,435,243 times
The only thing I could add is just another second, or third, on taking metro. My husband and I went in yesterday, Saturday, to visit American History and ended up spening $13 on a parking garage, the metro would have been cheaper, plus it's fun for the kids. Also, just pick and choose and don't over due. If you're in the area, then there's a lot of weekends available to you.

Carol

Old 11-15-2009, 06:04 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,967,319 times
Ice skating at the National Mall starts next week. The American History museum has a Christmas exhibit opening soon, and kids often like a lot of their other exhibits. My kids loved the Natural History Museum. If it's a windy day, take a kite with you and enjoy flying kites on the National Mall. My kids also liked the Botanical Gardens, but IMO that's something to save for a cold winter's day.

The Spy Museum is fun, but way too pricey, IMO. If you go there, be sure to go first thing in the morning. The hands-on exhibits that kids love get lines later in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia