U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 05:49 AM

15,400 posts, read 27,628,435 times

Advertisements

We stopped by JC Penney at Dulles Town Center yesterday. I've never seen the parking lot that full! Lots of people standing in line at the cash registers, so I guess there must have been bargains.

To be honest, though, I wasn't impressed by the prices on the things I looked at. They still seemed high. We looked at some drapes, for example, "on sale" for $19.99 "if you buy them before 1:00!!!" When we went home I saw the exact same item at the JC Penney web site for the same price. No date or time restrictions, you can buy it for $19.99 any time you wish.

So I wasn't too impressed with Black Friday, although it was nice to see so many shoppers...and see them carrying lots of shopping bags. I hope the stores did well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 05:50 AM

Did anyone try Best Buy or WalMart? Were they zoos? I can't believe people camped out just to go to a Best Buy. I can appreciate the novelty of camping out but.... Brrrrrrrr!!!!

That might be fun in the summer, but it's way too cold to be doing that now!

Old 11-28-2009, 05:57 AM

3,506 posts, read 12,885,318 times
We had a ball at Prime Outlets in Williamsburg. We had a list and dollar amount goal. Got there at 7:15 am and left at 11:00 am when the late arrivals started packing in. Nautica, Eddie Bauer, Timberland as well as LL Bean has some awesome deals. We stopped at Kohls for some kitchen rugs. Prices were good, lines sorta long, maybe a 5 minute wait. They actually had someone at the front of the line directing people to checkouts one at a time and it seemed to work for the most part.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:37 AM

4,709 posts, read 11,980,313 times
The only thing I bought on Black Friday was 840 gallons of diesel fuel to top off the boat's tanks and it most definitely was NOT on sale...ARRGGHH!

Spent the rest of the day straightening her up after the Turkey Day cruise, and aside from nursing a slight hangover, it was a great Fall day in Bay Country.

The Thanksgiving cruise was great...except for some pretty heavy fog that rolled in after sundown. The good news is that the new Furuno radar system installed this Spring passed it's first real test with flying colors!

Old 11-28-2009, 09:57 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,576,952 times
I wasn't supposed to go shopping.. But ended up going anyway because I got to go alone.. Went to Leesburg outlets and Dulles town center. Honestly, didn't find any good deals except at Macy's and Old Navy. Outlets were insane as was the mall but nothing too chaotic. Lots of crying kids and arguing parents.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:34 AM

318 posts, read 425,040 times
I don't get it... probably never WILL get it...the sales are never THAT good to make me what to get up at the crack of dawn to shop... not mention dealing with all of the crazed people and screaming kiddies. About 15-16 years ago I went out once on Black Friday with my former mother in law for this doorbuster thing. I vowed at that time, NEVER AGAIN!

All that great stuff that was supposedly on sale? It will be on sale again before Christmas at a lower price even. Especially at Macys.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:52 AM

696 posts, read 1,607,589 times
I went to Toys R Us at 5am. Since they opened at Midnight it was TRASHED! I got my couple of Santa items for my girls (on sale) and then scooted out of there. I had really good luck at Kohl's, especially their toy section. I just started going out on Black Friday last year. My little one was 6 weeks old and I was up early for a feeding, so left the kids with hubby and met my sister for interrupted shopping. We had a blast and planned to do it again this year. I moved though, so went with one of my new co-workers this year. We had a good time.....mostly because we weren't interrupting family time, didn't have kids with us and were home by 8am! I wouldn't say that the sales were fabulous, but I was going for specific items.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbogyrl View Post
I don't get it... probably never WILL get it....
LOL, me neither. We ended up going yesterday mostly because it was too cold to walk outside and we wanted to get some exercise. Gotta admit walking the mall was fun with so many families running around with the shopping bug. But I didn't catch the bug myself.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:43 PM

2,756 posts, read 7,897,001 times
since my wife is in control of approving all the items I would like to purchase , she was in a happy mood with the credit card. So I managed to talk her into retirement for my my 20 year old TV Tube TV for a LCD.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:46 PM

10,283 posts, read 11,836,718 times
I had a little guy wake up with a tummy ache at 3AM on Black Friday, so I missed going to any sales. I guess you could say we had a bug at my house but it wasn't the shopping bug...

I did get out later in the day and drove past Best Buy and Wal Mart on my way to lunch. The parking lots of those stores were packed, with what looked to be 20 cars circling around trying to get a spot and 40 more cars waiting in line to enter the parking lot. I wonder if there is anything left on the shelves at those stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia