Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 10:22 AM

239 posts, read 894,913 times

Advertisements

If you have recently relocated to Northern VA do you feel at home yet? Have you connected to your neighbors? Do they seem like folks from your home town? Or do you feel like an outsider in a foreign place with a strange culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 11:09 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
If you have recently relocated to Northern VA do you feel at home yet? Have you connected to your neighbors? Do they seem like folks from your home town? Or do you feel like an outsider in a foreign place with a strange culture?
Where have you lived before? Where in NOVA do you (plan to) live and work?

You're bound to get a variety of responses to your questions. But I'll say that if you're experienced in or can adjust to a major metropolitan area with fairly high-density suburbs, ongoing traffic concerns, and outlying job centers, then you'll have a good head start.

When I first arrived here, I lived along the Route 1 Corridor in "South" Alexandria (Fairfax County). While others have expressed their safety concerns about the area, my main issue was boredom. While the strip malls along that route should get some credit for attracting more of a variety of restaurants and retail there, I would have preferred to be in a somewhat quiet area of a city that's close to interesting things to do. A couple years later, I got just that when the lady and I moved to Old Town Alexandria.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:20 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,939,936 times
It probably won't feel like the place you moved from because it's a different town. Also experiences in a former town have a lot to do with friendships that most people developed over several years, and a knowledge of favorite places in the town that also took time to develop. You can't expect to replace things like that overnight.

Instead of seeking for the familiar, I suggest embracing being someplace new! One way to meet new friends is to try a variety of the meet up groups. There are a lot of them here, and people seem to really enjoy them. Also, get connected with a church (if that sounds appealing).

As for getting to know your neighbors, as in all towns that varies from street to street so it's hard to give advice. Where I live, it's easy to meet the neighbors. But, not every street is the same as mine so YMMV.

A few thoughts that might help: Sometimes parents arrive early at the school bus stop to socialize with each other before the kids arrive. Even if you dont have kids, you might stop by just to say hello. Also, soon everyone will be out raking leaves, and that's an easy time to say hello.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:23 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,276,801 times
Moved here about 3 months ago, we live in Stafford and while we have met a few of our neighbors and all seem friendly enough we have been plenty busy getting settled in. We are also somewhat of a set of homebodies content to just hang out as a family, so it has never been over important if we got together with our neighbors. I don't really get a sense that our neighbors really get together for block parties but I could be wrong. Then again, that didn't happen in our neighborhood in NM either.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
It probably won't feel like the place you moved from because it's a different town. Also experiences in a former town have a lot to do with friendships that most people developed over several years, and a knowledge of favorite places in the town that also took time to develop. You can't expect to replace things like that overnight.

Instead of seeking for the familiar, I suggest embracing being someplace new! As for meeting new friends, I suggest trying a variety of the meet up groups. There are a lot of the here, and people seem to really enjoy them. Also, get connected with a church (if that sounds appealing).

As for getting to know your neighbors, as in all towns that varies from street to street so it's hard to give advice. Where I live, it's easy to meet the neighbors. But, not every street is the same as mine so YMMV.

A few thoughts that might help: Sometimes parents arrive early at the school bus stop to socialize with each other before the kids arrive. Even if you dont have kids, you might stop by just to say hello. Also, soon everyone will be out raking leaves, and that's an easy time to say hello.
Normie, it is funny you bring this up, yesterday while waiting for the youngest a woman struck up a conversation with me. I do have to say though, that to me, people on the street are alot more friendly here in Stafford then they were in Arlington and even Falls Church, maybe because more of the people that settle closer in to DC are more of the transient nature and know they won't be staying for long. Not to sure of the reason or maybe I just had a ugly look on my face in Arlington.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:28 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,446,155 times
The random big snow storm is always a good opportunity to meet the neighbors. :-)

And walking the dog, or pushing your child in a stroller .... doing those things that get you out of the house and yard are also great ways to meet people.

It also depends on your personality. For me, well, whenever I have relocated, it's always taken me quite a while to feel comfortable. It doesn't matter where - it's new, and different, and it takes me a good while to get used to it.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
the people that settle closer in to DC are more of the transient nature and know they won't be staying for long.
IMO, that's the reason. Also, you were in an apartment, and people in apartments don't tend to be as neighborly as people who own homes in the burbs.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:32 AM
azb

35 posts, read 65,542 times
We rented first in a cul de sac off a major artery and really did not get to meet our neighbors--until the snow storm. We have since bought a home in the Tall Oaks neighborhood in Annandale, and love our new neighborhood. We have friendly neighbors on both sides, love our child's school, and I have a very quick commute to work. It is very different to our old home in Arizona, but we are very happy we made the move.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
It also depends on your personality. For me, well, whenever I have relocated, it's always taken me quite a while to feel comfortable. It doesn't matter where - it's new, and different, and it takes me a good while to get used to it.
Me too, although I moved so much when I was in my early career days that I became "comfortable with being uncomfortable" which is better than nothing.

I'm a gardender, and I notice the same thing with plants that I've transplanted. Most plants take a long time to root after they're moved. The wisdom with transplants is : The first year they sleep (because they're too busy setting new roots). The second year they creep. Then, after the third year, they leap.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Me too, although I moved so much when I was in my early career days that I became "comfortable with being uncomfortable" which is better than nothing.

I'm a gardender, and I notice the same thing with plants that I've transplanted. Most plants take a long time to root after they're moved. The wisdom with transplants is : The first year they sleep (because they're too busy setting new roots). The second year they creep. Then, after the third year, they leap.

I like this logic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia