Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2015, 07:18 PM

4 posts, read 2,589 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Arlington, VA this summer for my husband's job, to an area near the National Foreign Affairs Training Center.

I understand that traffic can be difficult. I am looking at jobs in the following areas and need a reality check if they are doable based on where I will be living:

1. Fort Belvoir. I have been told to rule this out based on our future location in Arlington. Agree?

2. Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. Drivable? Is there a public transportation option for this one?

3. Alexandria, off of South Kings Road, near Greendale Golf Course. Google maps gives me two routes, Route 1 vs 395. What should I know about these options?

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 07:27 PM

26,704 posts, read 41,851,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtoeastcoast View Post
We will be moving to Arlington, VA this summer for my husband's job, to an area near the National Foreign Affairs Training Center.

I understand that traffic can be difficult. I am looking at jobs in the following areas and need a reality check if they are doable based on where I will be living:

1. Fort Belvoir. I have been told to rule this out based on our future location in Arlington. Agree?

2. Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. Drivable? Is there a public transportation option for this one?

3. Alexandria, off of South Kings Road, near Greendale Golf Course. Google maps gives me two routes, Route 1 vs 395. What should I know about these options?

Thanks very much!
1. Don't agree, if you take 395/95 S to the Fairfax Co Pkwy to Belvoir not the worst commute in NoVA.

2. Don't drive. There is public transportation available but it isn't pretty.

3. Very much doable. I'd opt for 395 S since you'd be going against traffic.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:32 PM

Thanks so much!

How much time to budget for Fort Belvoir?

Old 04-17-2015, 07:35 PM

26,704 posts, read 41,851,890 times
Quote:
Thanks so much!

How much time to budget for Fort Belvoir?
Very dependent on the part of Arlington. If you are living in South Arlington near the Pentagon or closer to Alexandria around 35 min at least. North Arlington that will add a good amount of time.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:51 PM

Thank you!

Old 04-17-2015, 08:03 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,749,106 times
Quote:

Thanks very much!
1. I live in N. Arlington and used to work at Belvoir, south post. Easy commute via 395 (about 35 minutes) or GW Parkway (45 minutes but more scenic and enjoyable).

2. Walter Reed is drivable. I used to work in Rockville, MD, and drove each way. Traffic coming home was worse than on the way in. I currently work in S. Spring but do a super-early shift, and there's a lot of volume, but it's all going 80 mph, so I get there in 30 minutes. WR should be about the same--less time on Beltway but that's offset by time on neighborhood streets. Transit would mean a rail transfer and take about 1 hour on a good day.

3. 395 to Van Dorn. Route 1 has lots of stoplights. 395S in the morning is cake. The people going the other way are in hell.

Bottom line: Everywhere else is a reverse commute from Arlington, because most people would rather spend less money to get a bigger house farther out. Thus they sit in traffic to go toward Arlington/DC, while those who live in Arlington/DC/Falls Church/McLean/Bethesda breeze along to everywhere else.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:32 PM

Thanks Carlingtonian! Very helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia