Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 12:00 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,140,266 times

Advertisements

BTW, I've gotten a few rep points for referencing these old threads. Thanks everyone!

But, I'd like to give credit where credit is due. Normie is the one who pulled all these old threads together as part of a huge FAQ she put together last summer. You can find it on pages 12-15 of the sticky about Helpful Pointers. Unfortunately, Normie's master list is now hard to read--for some unknown reason all the titles in the links got compacted. So all I did was select a few from the sticky that I liked, then cut and paste them into this thread, and retype them a little so you could read them.

I really do appreciate all the rep points, but Normie's the one who did all the work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 12:38 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,744,739 times
Another Ashburn to Leesburg: take Sycolin Rd instead of 7. Depending on where you are in Ashburn this can be really quick. They just finished paving Sycolin and its wonderful to drive on. Just watch out for cops.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:54 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,995,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
Another Ashburn to Leesburg: take Sycolin Rd instead of 7. Depending on where you are in Ashburn this can be really quick. They just finished paving Sycolin and its wonderful to drive on. Just watch out for cops.
I'm a big fan of Sycolin Road.

My daughter has gephyrophobia (fear of bridges--she's had it ever since she got stuck on an overpass during the Northridge Earthquake). So we've had to find all sorts of alternate routes that avoid bridges and high overpasses. She avoids the overpass that connects Rt. 7 to the bypass around Leesburg, by taking Sycolin Rd./Plaza Street. It's a nice little drive and much easier to manage than Rt. 7.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:49 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,756,747 times
Good thread ...

Woodbridge to Fredericksburg

A kind of obvious alternate route to I-95 although nowadays it sometimes can get as bad as the main route, but it has saved me many times is Route 1. There aren't many north-south alternates in the area because of Quantico, but it is worth mentioning for new people moving into the area and people passing through. Also if you are continuing on to Richmond from Fredericksburg, Route 3 to Route 2 to 301 is another good alternate to I-95 and Route 1.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:38 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,140,266 times
What's the best way to get from Herndon to Ikea in Woodbridge? Right now I'm taking 28 to Manassas and then taking Prince William Parkway. Is there a better route?

Old 12-11-2009, 02:45 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,320,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
What's the best way to get from Herndon to Ikea in Woodbridge? Right now I'm taking 28 to Manassas and then taking Prince William Parkway. Is there a better route?
That's the way I've gone in the past. (But now I go to the College Park Ikea during the week, in daytime hours.)

Old 12-11-2009, 02:56 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,744,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
This is the route I take (quite frequently ) to Ikea from Ashburn. You can of course do it from Herndon as well.

Take Fairfax Co. Parkway all the way down to 123/Ox Rd going towards Occoquan. After Occoquan get on to 95 south, the Ikea exit is about a mile and a half down the road. This is, IMO, a nicer drive than going through Manassas.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:58 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,995,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
That's the way I've gone in the past. (But now I go to the College Park Ikea during the week, in daytime hours.)
College Park? Interesting--is it easier than driving to Woodbridge (seems like it would be a PITA but maybe it's just because I hate the beltway). Do you take the beltway and then go south on Rt 1 or get there some other way?

Old 12-11-2009, 05:40 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,320,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
College Park? Interesting--is it easier than driving to Woodbridge (seems like it would be a PITA but maybe it's just because I hate the beltway). Do you take the beltway and then go south on Rt 1 or get there some other way?
It's just north of the Beltway on Route 1. I live almost exactly the same distance from the College Park and the Woodbridge store. I like the College Park store better than Woodbridge, and it's not bad on the Beltway non-rush-hour. Plus I hate driving around Potomac Mills. The College Park Ikea is just kinda there by itself.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:25 PM

32,624 posts, read 77,760,327 times
What about Route 7 alternatives between Reston and Tyson's Corner besides the toll road so I don't always have to wake up at 4:45 AM to avoid the traffic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia