Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 09:40 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,691,016 times

Advertisements

May I be frank and ask, do you really need this job transfer? Or are you happy where you are now and just evaluating an offer that has come your way? Unless this job is important to your career path or you really dislike where you're living now, moving here for a salary of $70,000 might be real sticker shock compared to where you are now. Or maybe it will be worth it? Be realistic. Consider the cost of commuting, and find out if your employer will subsidize your commuting costs, which would make a difference. How old are your children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 11:32 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,438,859 times
You can find decent townhouses to rent in Burke for around $1600-$1800 with 3BRs/2-2.5BAs. You may or may not find a garage townhouse for that price, but Burke is a decent area that's not at the other end of the known universe from Tysons, though you may need to get creative, as was suggester earlier, with some commute routes.

For the same type of townhouse rental in Vienna, you would be in the $1800+ price range for starters, but likely closer to $2k. I don't know that you'd be able to find a small house in that price range, either.

In Fairfax, you would be able to find a nice townhouse rental around $1700-$1800. The commute is better than Burke, as you're a few miles closer to Tysons. You can even sometimes find some older ranch style houses in the City of Fairfax in this price range, which is not bad for a SF in a good area.

In Springfield, you really want to be in West Springfield, as it's less congested and has a better school district than Springfield closer to the Springfield Mall. You would be in the West Springfield or Lake Braddock districts in this area. Townhouses would be similar to Burke, in the $1600-$1800 for a 3BR. And, it's also possible that you could find a SF home for rent as well, though not too many under $2k.

Gainesville is a bad commute to McLean, because I-66 is the primary route and it's very congested. I don't know that you'd be saving all that much in terms of housing expense, but you would be getting a newer property, likely a tad larger, than other areas in similar price ranges closer to Tysons. I would skip Maryland as well because the commute can be awful, especially in the afternoon/evening as you would have to cross the American Legion Bridge.

While $70k may not go very far, you could certainly live on that income in the area, as long as you keep the housing costs in check. Realistically, this would be for a townhouse, but you could find a smaller ranch house in some areas that would be affordable, too, even in relatively close-in communities. Housing would be the biggest expense, but if your wife is good at managing the household, it might not be a bad idea to consider the move, especially if the job could lead to a promotion/bonus/salary increase in the next couple of years.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-14-2009, 05:56 AM

15,442 posts, read 25,865,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I-495 isn't bad crossing the river at rush-hour?

It is bad, but it is acceptable.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:33 PM

309 posts, read 829,500 times
Obviously this depends a lot on your lifestyle and the type of space you are comfortable in. If you count on 30% of your salary for housing costs and a minimum of a 1 hour commute and depending on the type of car you have, gas, maintenance, etc commuting to Tysons. Tysons will be under going construction for the next 7 years as the HOT lanes and Silver metro line projects get built. Areas are getting better bus service to Tyson's to try and alleviate the crush of traffic, but either way you slice it, it isn't an easy commute.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:02 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,324,946 times
I drive from Ashburn to McLean everyday. Non rush hour times it takes me about 30-40 minutes. And that is taking Rt 28 to 267. During rush hour it takes me about an hour using the same road. Now, if you want to take the Greenway you shave time off but I won't pay $4 each way everyday for that! But it is nice to have for emergency reasons...like if the daycare calls and the kids are sick then I do take 267 which then turns into the Greenway.
It's not a bad commute. I actually don't mind it at all. And I was a stay at home mom for 2 years and Ashburn is a great community for that-lots of moms clubs and things to do with the kids. My husband makes maybe $25K more than your starting salary of $70 and we do just fine. That is with a home that we paid $525K for-you could get the same house now for about $475K. We have a 4 bed, 2.5 single. I don't factor in my salary as we are in the hole once we pay for daycare but I work for sanity. And a lot of this depends on what amount you have for a down payment.
Just trying to break it down for you so you know what you are getting into. We love the schools here and the community type atmosphere.
Bethesda is about 20 minutes from McLean on a non-rush hour time. I would say probably 40 minutes during rugh hour...just depends on where in McLean.
Hope this helps.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:50 PM

30 posts, read 100,544 times
Tysons Corner makes for a tough commute. I commuted from Centreville to Tysons for 2 years (10 years ago), and it took me 45 minutes each way during off-hours (7 to 4). I did take the toll road, but I got on at Route 28 so it was only $.50 each way. The high fees don't start until after you pass into Loudoun County.

$70,000 is going to be rough to raise a family with. Not impossible, but on the harder side if you are used to an upper-middle class suburban lifestyle. With that salary, I would not be comfortable spending much over $1500 in rent/mortgage. That gives you about $200,000 to spend if you want to buy a house. (It would probably have to be a townhouse, but that's not uncommon for families around here.)

If my husband or I had to work in Tysons, I'd look in Herndon first. Especially the area around the Franklin Farm neighborhood, which is a great area. You could take the toll road for about $1 a day (no Loudoun county high tolls), which puts you right on Route 7 down by the tall Sheraton building in Tysons. You could probably make it in about 30-40 minutes most days even in rush hour. Schools in this area are fantastic -- I'd be more than happy to send my kids to Oak Hill Elem, Franklin Middle, and Chantilly High School, which is where kids in Franklin Farm are zoned to go.
FX6708194 on FranklyMLS.com 3286 TAYLOE CT, HERNDON VA for $205,000 in FRANKLIN FARM Home For Sale
FX7011342 on FranklyMLS.com 13455 HIGGS CT, HERNDON VA for $209,900 in FRANKLIN FARM Home For Sale
FX7006991 on FranklyMLS.com 13410 WHALEY CT, HERNDON VA for $215,900 in FRANKLIN FARM Home For Sale

If you can suck up a longer drive (wouldn't be my choice), then I'd look out in Ashburn. Ashburn is full of families with young kids, and the schools there are very good. You'd either need to make your way down Route 7, which is very congested, or you'd have to pay the high tolls on the Loudoun County stretch of the toll road. For Route 7, you'd have to budget an hour each way in rush hour, but if you could work off hours, it would be significanly less traffic. You'd still be in a townhouse, but the area in general is newer and more family friendly.
LO7061474 on FranklyMLS.com 21084 MOSSY GLEN TER, ASHBURN VA for $197,800 in ASHBURN VILLAGE Home For Sale
LO6987965 on FranklyMLS.com 43908 CHLOE TER, ASHBURN VA for $200,000 in ASHBURN VILLAGE Home For Sale
LO6974569 on FranklyMLS.com 20771 APOLLO TER, ASHBURN VA for $204,900 in ASHBURN VILLAGE Home For Sale

Another option, if you can stand a longer drive, is Centreville. You'd take the toll road, but it would only be about $1 round trip because you'd get on at Route 28 and avoid the high Loudoun County tolls. I think you'd still have to budget an hour each way in rush hour, but again if you could work off hours, it would be significantly less. Schools in Centreville are very good, and housing here is usually slighly cheaper than the other two areas I mentioned above.
LO6974569 on FranklyMLS.com 20771 APOLLO TER, ASHBURN VA for $204,900 in ASHBURN VILLAGE Home For Sale
FX6904893 on FranklyMLS.com 14509 RAVENSCAR CT, CENTREVILLE VA for $170,000 in CROFTON COMMONS Home For Sale
FX7124967 on FranklyMLS.com 14145 ASHER VW, CENTREVILLE VA for $177,900 in CENTRE RIDGE LAND BAY 1B Home For Sale
FX6946340 on FranklyMLS.com 14535 RAVENSCAR CT, CENTREVILLE VA for $179,900 in CROFTON COMMONS Home For Sale
FX6933834 on FranklyMLS.com 6217 WILLIAM MOSBY DR, CENTREVILLE VA for $191,900 in SINGLETONS GROVE Home For Sale

Good luck to you!

Old 12-15-2009, 01:16 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,438,859 times
Here's a link to the Toll Road charges, which are set to increase in January: VDOT - FAQ Tolls

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-15-2009, 05:40 PM

3 posts, read 8,388 times
Thank you all for your responses. It sounds like Leesburg and Gainesville will be well over an hour commute. I can handle an hour but anything over that will wear on me. We have looked at close end suburbs but couldn't find any quality rentals under $2000 or home sales under $300,000. We'll keep looking though. For now Ashburn/Sterling area seems like best best. The reason this move is appealing despite my concerns with high cost of living is because I believe this job will offer more job security in a more interesting line of work (ofcourse one can never be too sure so that's a gamble itself). Anyway thanks for all your input!

Old 01-31-2010, 10:49 AM

5 posts, read 8,946 times
I commuted to McLean from Centreville and can tell you it is not fun unless you are disciplined. If you are saving more than $500 per month then consider centreville or stay close to where you work. Some appartments in Falls church are affordable.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:32 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,712,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasCentreville View Post
I commuted to McLean from Centreville and can tell you it is not fun unless you are disciplined. If you are saving more than $500 per month then consider centreville or stay close to where you work. Some appartments in Falls church are affordable.
I agree with this post, and the others who say that long commutes suck. Just make sure you factor in gas prices, the wear & tear on your car, and the time on the road when weighing the options. I have seen nice homes for under $1800 that are inside the beltway, or W/I 5 miles. Annandale, Falls church, Springfield, and west Alexandria could work. When househunting you just need to be in the right place at the right time. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia