Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 02:43 PM

6 posts, read 15,284 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate to the Arlington area for graduate school. I am looking for a place that is inexpensive to live that is pet friendly (I have one small and one large dog). I am sure I will rent as homes seem much more expensive there than Louisville Kentucky where I currently live. Either an apartment or a home to rent would be fine. I would like to pay around $700 - $800 (or less) if that is possible. I would not mind to commute if the price difference was worth it. I will be a college student which means I will not have a lot of money so I would like to find a not so expensive place to live but still in a safe area. I am not really particular on the type of neighborhood whether it be suburbs or a social area, as long as it is safe. Any ideas of where to start looking? Maybe that will give me a better idea. I have never been to the area so I don't really know where to begin. Thanks!! =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 03:09 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,937,938 times
Arlington is right across the river from DC, and is therefore not an inexpensive place to live. You will not be able to find a place anywhere near Arlington for $800 unless you have at least one roommate. Safe apartments in the area will be over $1000 per month for a 1 BR. Many young people live in group homes, which is the only way you will get into a house (rather than an apartment) for $800. However, your dogs will obviously complicate the matter, as many rental homes do not allow pets.
Where exactly will you be attending school?

Old 12-15-2009, 09:00 AM

6 posts, read 15,284 times
I am looking into Marymount University. Is there a place I could commute from that would be cheaper than Arlington?

Old 12-15-2009, 10:05 AM

8,993 posts, read 21,219,451 times
Honestly, any traditional apartment complex that is both convenient to Arlington and offering a 1B for under $1000 will be in a less desirable area. Homeowners renting their basement as an apartment is a popular pastime here, especially these days. But your dog may complicate things there.

I would think that Marymount would have a housing office where you could be matched with a fellow student that might be happy to have a furry mascot/security guard to hang out with.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:54 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,265,367 times
If you really don't want roommates you could look into the option of renting an apartment or in-law suite in someone's basement. But not for $700. And less than $700? Oh dear, run for your life before you get shot. I have seen some apartments advertised for $800 or $900 but they weren't the nicest apartments and I'm skeptical they weren't just hook ads. You get there and they'll be like "Oh that cheap apartment just got leased. But take a look at this more expensive unit we have available."

Yeah I would just start hitting the want ads and craigslist real hard. You can find a group house but a lot of them won't allow pets but not all of them so just start looking at the ads and be upfront about your pets. Of course Arlington is your first choice but don't forget about places like Falls Church and Alexandria a little further from school but you'll need to cast a wide net because of your pets.

Good luck.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:05 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,937,938 times
There are a lot of places that are cheaper than Arlington; however, you will pay in commute time. How far out you can go will depend on the nature of your graduate program, and the amount of time you will need/want to be on campus or working with fellow students who live closer to campus than you do.
Generally, the further out you get from DC/Arlington/Tyson's, the cheaper the housing will be. Ditto for housing that is not convenient to Metro, or located in a less desirable school pyramid.
I second the suggestion that you contact the housing folks at Marymount.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:42 AM

702 posts, read 963,473 times
If you want to pay a monthly rent of $800 or less, you're going to have to share an apartment or house with others. Having two dogs makes things more difficult, I should think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia