U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2007, 08:19 PM

5 posts, read 17,516 times

Advertisements

I just recieved my Master's in Secondary Education and I am looking to move to NoVa to begin my career as a high school teacher. I have applied to Fairfax County schools and Prince William County Schools, both of which I have heard are good counties. The only problem is after reading a few posts here in this forum I'm beginning to think that moving to this area will be too expensive for a young teacher. I will be living for free with a relative of mine in Alexandria for about a year but I will want to get my own place shortly after. I guess my question is, are there any teachers in this forum? And what areas would be affordable and safe for someone starting out at about $45,000 a year?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 09:31 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,502,072 times
Falls Church is fully affordable at 45k a year. When I first posted on this forum, people told me that I "could never make it" at 41k a year but after visiting Falls Church, I was able to find a cute little 1 bedroom 850sqft apt in a gated apartment community with a balcony! Not only was I able to afford the apartment, I also have enough discretionary income left over for cable, internet, and some other luxuries that I originally thought I'd have to do without. Another place that I was told to look into (before I found my darling apartment) was Annandale. Both cities (I think? ) are in Fairfax County and from my experience, they are fairly nice cities.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:30 AM

267 posts, read 1,629,521 times
Will you be paying your relative rent? I assume so, but probably not as much as you would for an apartment. Your best bet is to bank as much money as you can that first year to give yourself a cushion. Cost really depends on where you want to live and what amenities you are willing to give up in an apt. Brand new apt within walking distance of shopping, etc will probably be out of your price range as will somewhere like Old Town Alexandria. Most of the indviduals told that 45K or so isn't enough have wanted to live close to nightlife, DC, Old Town, etc and you really can't do that on that salary and still have a decent place to live. Have you looked at Loudoun County schools? The commute would be longer, but I know others who have done it, plus you'd be against traffic that first year. Loudoun teachers have great benefits and they tend to pay more, especially more than PW county. There is also a demand for teachers here with new schools opening every year.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:52 AM

786 posts, read 4,602,255 times
Default Watch out for overcrowding in inexpensive apartments in NVA

Many of the affordable apartments are designed informally for immigrants. They allow quietly up to 10 people in a one bedroom apartment. I know some people at work who signed long term leases at these cheap (affordable) apartments and now are stuck living next to overcrowded units next door. When they complain they just say the extra people are friends or relatives who are staying a few days.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:21 AM

5 posts, read 17,516 times
I will look into Loudon County. I've been told that Falls Church is a good area and I have applied for a position with Falls Church City Schools. I will be living with a relative for a year rent free, and I'm planning on saving as much as possible. I'm still young (27), and I would like to be around a swanky area of town but I know that is not feasible for my salary. I was just concerned that my salary wouldn't be enough to live comfortably. How long a commute am I talking about if I work in Loudon? (from around Duke St., Alexandria)

Old 05-22-2007, 11:18 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,502,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Many of the affordable apartments are designed informally for immigrants. They allow quietly up to 10 people in a one bedroom apartment. I know some people at work who signed long term leases at these cheap (affordable) apartments and now are stuck living next to overcrowded units next door. When they complain they just say the extra people are friends or relatives who are staying a few days.
Go take your racism elsewhere, thanks. The people living next door two me are two pre-law students, a pre-med student, and across from me is someone's grandmother with 5 cats. No immigrants. As matter of fact, I think I'm the only non-white person in my hall...I'm Chinese! CALL THE INS! Ohes teh noes! Someone broke through your flimsy shield of prejudice!

Old 05-22-2007, 03:49 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,586,027 times
Dingler does make a good point. ANY pocket of affordable housing, even single family homes in previously middle-class neighborhoods, are at risk of becoming immigrant "ghettoes." The Post just had a long story on this topic last week, profiling a modest neighborhood in Fairfax whose long-time residents find that the "family" next door consists of 10 related or unrelated adults who park their commercial vehicles all down the block and on the lawn....

Old 05-22-2007, 04:52 PM

Alexandria to Ashburn will take around an hour, sometimes less. It just depends on the time of day and weather. But the commute to Prince William would be worse.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:00 PM

Oops sorry! double post.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:43 AM

9 posts, read 57,822 times
I had a friend of mine, who is a teacher, who lived here with 3 other roommates in a townhouse. I believe they each paid about $400/month and shared the house together in Vienna. That was about 3 years ago though. My friend was only making about $30K a year in a private school.

She was able to find good roomates, who are now close friends, through the young adult groups at local churches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia