Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 06:22 PM

965 posts, read 4,501,069 times

Advertisements

Many folks were very kind in helping me clear the snow from my parking spot this past weekend, and one lady in particular didn't have a shovel. She was using a plastic trash basket (which I thought was rather unique - push the snow off the hood/trunk of the car into the trash basket and then dump it onto the grass). When we tackled her spot, we used my shovels. She said that she did not have a shovel because she honestly did not think she needed one, so as a thank you, I was thinking about getting her a shovel.

As I was just looking around on the Internet, I came across this thing. It's called a Wovel. I won't be able to get her this at $130, but it looks neat. Granted, we don't get 20+ inches of snow every year in Northern Virginia, but it looks like a nice alternative to a shovel. I've never seen one of these in person. Has anyone seen one of these in Northern Virginia? Thanks.

Wovel :: World's Safest Snow Shovel!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 06:41 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
Many folks were very kind in helping me clear the snow from my parking spot this past weekend, and one lady in particular didn't have a shovel. She was using a plastic trash basket (which I thought was rather unique - push the snow off the hood/trunk of the car into the trash basket and then dump it onto the grass). When we tackled her spot, we used my shovels. She said that she did not have a shovel because she honestly did not think she needed one, so as a thank you, I was thinking about getting her a shovel.

As I was just looking around on the Internet, I came across this thing. It's called a Wovel. I won't be able to get her this at $130, but it looks neat. Granted, we don't get 20+ inches of snow every year in Northern Virginia, but it looks like a nice alternative to a shovel. I've never seen one of these in person. Has anyone seen one of these in Northern Virginia? Thanks.

Wovel :: World's Safest Snow Shovel!
Never saw that before. I think it would only be useful for certain areas to dig out. Say you were digging out a car parked on the street, I believe that would become more frustrating than useful very quickly. The shovel is a tried and true tool!!!

Old 12-22-2009, 06:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,066 times
Default wovel user

I have owned a wovel (though I have the old model without the improvements) and while I dont get to use it often it has been great.. stores flat on the wall and really cuts my work in half..and yes, me, even when my husband is away and it snows (though he was here in Vienna for this storm). takes a few minutes or storms to get the hang of throwing... but a little practice, and now it is pretty comfortable.. love it. good luck next storm...

Old 12-22-2009, 08:23 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times
That's intriguing, to be sure. If I lived in New England or other place with consistently big snows, I'd get one. For our area, no. Looks great for clearing big stretches; as others pointed out, it wouldn't completely replace a snow shovel (clearing out cars, etc). Kudos to the company for coming up with something that doesn't rely on a motor or engine.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:02 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,766 times
I can't get the link to post right on my iPhone, but we use a push snow shovel like the Dakota Snowblade or the Grip Push Blade snow shovel. We has to do the driveway several times for this snow, as it's only good for about six inches at a time. But they can be had for $30, and I can get our who driveway (~ 6 car lengths) with my husband. It's like a plow on wheels.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:11 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
By the way, if you still need to buy a shovel Costco has them for sale.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:24 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
Nahhh....if it doesn't have a motor on it, I don't want it!

Old 12-23-2009, 06:35 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
I see people using Snow Scoops. There are several variations. The most common form appears to be one that looks like a snowboard with a small set of wheels on one end.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:58 AM
TPL

136 posts, read 317,670 times
I bought an electric power broom/snow thrower from Toro (The Toro Power Shovel), and that thing works wonders. It weighs no more than a heavy shovel, and if you get to the accumulation while it's still under 4 Inches or so, you don't even have to lift it up.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:48 PM

965 posts, read 4,501,069 times
I'm discovering that there certainly are all types of snow removal devices - motorized and non-motorized.

Yeah, I don't think it would work well for cars that are parallel parked on the street. Where would you throw the snow?

I think the biggest drawback to the Wovel for me would be not trying to whack the car mirrors as I rolled the thing along. Sometimes, there's not much space between parked cars in a lot. I would probably have to use it late at night when I could move my car from my spot; remove the snow from my parking spot and throw it onto the sidewalk; and then scoop from the sidewalk and throw it onto the grass. When I look at the video, I just get the impression that I would get the job done a lot faster.

Better yet would be a "Snow Roomba." There's a Roomba for indoor floors and a Roomba for your lawn, so someone needs to come up with a "Snow Roomba!"

Normie: I decided not to get her the shovel. I got her a small gift card instead. I remembered that she has arthritis and would do a better job at picking out a shovel that would not make her ache more.

Last edited by virgo; 12-24-2009 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: Forgot a paragraph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia