Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 12:24 PM

3 posts, read 10,711 times

Advertisements

I have gone through the threads and they all seem to have DC as a regular or potential commute. I may be working in Dulles and therefore dont care about the commute to DC. I do want a 3 bed/2 bath house with yard, something around 2000 sq ft for as reasonable as possible $400K max. Willing to commute 30-45 min. Married with stay at home mom. Still like amenities like malls, costco, starbucks and such. So not too countryish. I am not sure if we are going to but my daughter in public or homeschool. Where would you recommend I start looking for a house?

Dos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 12:40 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,366,503 times
Well, Ashburn, Cascades, Herndon, Chantilly, South Riding, but I don't think you'll be getting a detached SFH for $400K in those areas. Townhouse, for sure, but for the SFH with yard at that price, I think you'll have to go further west...

Old 10-28-2007, 01:26 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,949,525 times
Try Leesburg, Exeter Hills. Those were built 10-11 years ago and are in your price range. Also, a little further, Lovettsville, there are new homes being built in New Town Meadows. Leesburg is your best bet for Starbucks and other amenities. You should also check out Round Hill, it is a little west of Purcellville, but has homes in your price range with more of a yard than you'll find closer to Dulles. They are all in the Loudoun County school system, which is excellent. If you contact me directly, I will be happy to send you more information.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:30 PM

Thank you very much, both of you. I will be coming from phoenix. I have my third interview with a company that is flying me and my family down for a couple of days. We haven’t talked dollars yet and I am trying to assess the cost of living difference to make sure I can afford it. Its definitely more expensive than phoenix and everything that I pull up is for the cost of living for DC and I know there’s outside cities for less especially the further out from DC. I may just contact you Margery. I first have to get the job offer though but I wanted a place to start. I may know as early as next week. Phoenix has only about a dozen cities accross 9000 square miles. This is a huge learning curve.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:13 PM

What about manasses. There seems to be alot of SFH in that area for under 400K. What are the pros and cons?

Old 10-28-2007, 05:21 PM

73 posts, read 457,235 times
Ummm...Manassas can have some really iffy sections...

Old 10-28-2007, 05:25 PM

73 posts, read 457,235 times
Western Loudoun County is lovely, but $$$ depending on how FAR West you go. South Eastern and Eastern can be iffy...neighborhood-wise. You can end up in an area you DO NOT want to live.

There are no bargains here. NONE. If the price is low the neighborhood is bad, period. OR too far out UNLESS like us you don't care about that. BUT traffic and commute ANYWHERE is a HUGE issue - not just to DC.

You need to "ride the ride" to the potential job three days in one week - say Monday, Tuesday, Thursday - to get a REAL feel for the issues. DON'T DO IT ON A WEEKEND and feel satisfied.

You also need to go out SHOPPING on a weekend and see that a trip to the grocery store, home depot and (let's say) Walmart or Kohl's consumes the ENTIRE day.

Just to get the feel for the area.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:08 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,355,083 times
There were some homes in Ashburn (rush hour commute to Dulles is roughly 35 minutes) going for the low 400s as recently as six months ago. Quite a few in Ashburn Village in fact, fairly new construction, zoned into good schools, 3/4 bedrooms, usually 2.5 baths and a finished basement and garage, It wouldn't surprise me if given the real estate market, some of these homes have knocked their prices down further down closer to the 400K mark, and it wouldn't entirely surprise me if there were a handful of sellers willing to go even below that. It's worth a look.

Sterling also has quite a few homes in the upper 300s. The homes are generally smaller and older and the schools not quite as good, but again, it's worth a look.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:21 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,838,591 times
I wouldn't go out anyfuther than Leesburg or Purceville. Roundhill has nothing and Lovettesville not much. Plus the bottleneck on rt 15/7 interchange to get out to those areas is getting pretty nasty some days.

Leesburg has quit a few in the low 400 ( I should know we just lowered our to 415k) most SFH in that price range are about 2500sqft 3 levels with finished basement and 3.5 baths. 1 car garage. small fenced yard with community pool etc... If it's ANY less it should be right around 400K

Remember... Exter Hills isdifferent from Exeter proper..they DO NOT have the community pool and tennis courts. so that's something to think about in price too...what amienties are you getting.

Ashburn is still at little pricier than Leesburg. It has great amenities and is closer to Dullas.

Both areas have GREAT schools.

If you are home schooling I would recommend Leesburg...there is a good number of homeschoolers here with a good network. PLUS...Ida Lee rec center runs classes during the day specifically for homeschoolers (swimming, lacrosse, soccer etc...)

Old 10-29-2007, 12:10 PM

1,123 posts, read 5,313,751 times
Manassas is probably over your 45 minute commute because there is no highway driving to Dulles from there (well, maybe 1 exit).

Your best bet is definitely Loudoun county. You have the big mall and plenty of newer strip malls with good stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia