U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:03 AM

16 posts, read 59,301 times

Advertisements

Happy Holidays to Everyone!

I have a question to pose to you all regarding family-friendly areas to live. My family (me, my husband, my 7 year old, & my 2 year old) will be relocating to the DC/VA area early next year. My husband will be working in Crystal City and I maybe (knock on wood) working in D.C. near Pennsylvania Ave. We were looking via Internet right now for family friendly apartments, good schools, affordable, and nice neighborhoods to live. Can anyone give me some suggestions? I entered family friendly apartments during a google search and came up with Woodbridge Station Apartments. It looks very nice but the distance seemed kinda far. PLEASE lend me a helping hand or a valued opinion.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 09:56 AM

8,648 posts, read 20,051,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niab View Post
Happy Holidays to Everyone!

I have a question to pose to you all regarding family-friendly areas to live. My family (me, my husband, my 7 year old, & my 2 year old) will be relocating to the DC/VA area early next year. My husband will be working in Crystal City and I maybe (knock on wood) working in D.C. near Pennsylvania Ave. We were looking via Internet right now for family friendly apartments, good schools, affordable, and nice neighborhoods to live. Can anyone give me some suggestions? I entered family friendly apartments during a google search and came up with Woodbridge Station Apartments. It looks very nice but the distance seemed kinda far. PLEASE lend me a helping hand or a valued opinion.

Thanks!

What is your preferred rental range and for how many bedrooms/baths?

Assuming Woodbridge Station is in Woodbridge, that is definitely a long hike from Crystal City/DC.

Although I can't think of any complex names of the top of my head, consider Kingstowne, a community in unincorporated (i.e. Fairfax County) section of Alexandria. I believe 22305 is the zip code there. The area attracts a lot of families including those working at nearby Fort Belvoir. It has convenient midscale retail and is a short bus connection to two Metrorail stations. The properties are newish so there's not really any grit to be found.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:16 AM

16 posts, read 59,301 times
Thanks for your quick reply!

You are correct. Woodbridge Station is in Woodbridge, VA. I thought it might be a bit of a hike (dern it). I think I was blinded and awed by the square footage of the apartment homes and the rental price ($1,500 to 1,700 for 3 to 4 bedrooms with square footage over 1,000+).

In answer to your question, we are thinking we can get away with a 2 bedroom without knocking each other out, HA! Our rental range would be from $1,600 and up. Since we would be moving from the mighty ATL to VA (an area we are not too familiar with), we figured we should start off small and expand once we get acquainted with an area and such.

Thanks again for your help! I shall definitely look at Kingstowne and Fort Belvoir.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niab View Post
Thanks for your quick reply!

You are correct. Woodbridge Station is in Woodbridge, VA. I thought it might be a bit of a hike (dern it). I think I was blinded and awed by the square footage of the apartment homes and the rental price ($1,500 to 1,700 for 3 to 4 bedrooms with square footage over 1,000+).

In answer to your question, we are thinking we can get away with a 2 bedroom without knocking each other out, HA! Our rental range would be from $1,600 and up. Since we would be moving from the mighty ATL to VA (an area we are not too familiar with), we figured we should start off small and expand once we get acquainted with an area and such.

Thanks again for your help! I shall definitely look at Kingstowne and Fort Belvoir.

You're welcome.

Actually the area around Fort Belvoir isn't not among the most popular... hence the military population at Kingstowne.

I'm glad to see that you included an "up" clause as I recall looking at a place in Kingstowne once (even though I don't remember the name ) and the 1Bs started in the $1500s. That's admittedly slightly high compared to the surrounding communities. Also consider Falls Church; I believe it should have a lot of what you're looking for. I would even suggest (North) Arlington itself but be prepared for some potential sticker shock.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:49 AM

14 posts, read 42,319 times
I lived in Crystal Plaza Aptments in Crystal City for about 3 years. While it's a nice play to live IMO, there aren't many children in the complex at all. Even with two 12 story towers filled with apartments, the number of people with kids in this building I can count on one hand.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:00 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,400,770 times
Kingstowne is 22315..

It is on the more expensive side, but is very family friendly, with easy metro commuting and good access to 395 and 495. It has a variety of apt complexes, but if you can go "up" in your price I would suggest a townhouse vs an apt. You will get more for your money. try militarybyowner.com for rentals.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
Kingstowne is 22315..
Oops thanks for the correction on the zip.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:23 AM

18 posts, read 45,974 times
I've managed several high rise buildings in the Crystal City area and it is definitely not a kid friendly area. Falls Church has just built a really new apt. complex and that area is growing. You don't want Ballston either.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:29 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,580,392 times
You can rent a nice 2 BR apartment or townhouse in the Del Ray part of Alexandria for $1600... It is actually a family friendly neighborhood that is 2 miles from Crystal City.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:45 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,527,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsitter01 View Post
. Falls Church has just built a really new apt. complex and that area is growing. .
Where is that located?
The only new apt complex in the City of Falls Church (verses a Falls Church zip code that is actually in unincorporated FFX cnty) I know of is specifically for qualified low income-affordable housing.

There are apt complexes in Falls Church zip code that are relatively cheap but most of those complexes are filled with new immigrants that have gross food smells, loud all hours noise, lots of cars and lots of parking space 'fights', extra 'temporary guests' in the apts, etc..

Last edited by leighland; 12-31-2009 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: qualifier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia