Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 08:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,515 times

Advertisements

I posted this first on the DC forum but it was suggested to re-post here to get a bit more insight. Thanks, in advance, for any ideas and advice!

My husband and I may be relocating to the DC area in the next year and a half and are wondering where to start looking for housing. We'd like to live in the Capitol City or Georgetown areas (or areas similar to those) that offer lots of opportunities within walking distance, other young couples, and plenty to do. My husband is in the military and will be working in/near the Navy Yard and I'm not sure yet what I'll be doing (something in education or public policy) but we'd like to also live close proximity to metro lines for work. We are looking for a place that is at least 2 bedroom with 1.5 bathrooms, parking would be a plus. We plan to spend time in the area well before we move to check out possible locations, neighborhoods or complexes, but would love to hear from others where we should/could start looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 05:47 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,962,966 times
We will need to know your budget for housing. You will then get many helpful suggestions, this is a very active forum and there are loads of military families in VA.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:57 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,727,068 times
As someone who is also in the military, well my spouse is, and dual income as well, I can tell you that living in Georgetown is way out of the price range for most of us, and I assume anything near the Capitol is as well. The max housing for 06 is about $2700, and as you stated early 30's couple, I am just assuming he isn't an 06. Of course you might be earning much more than him, and if so..that is fabulous, but as you mentioned that you might work in policy etc, I will assume, again, that you don't have a job yet. Then again you might be independantly wealthy...

That said I would really look at someplace more affordable and easier to commute from. Perhaps Shirlington, or Clarendon. There are also some really nice places on the edges of Old town that are affordable. I also imagine that commuting from Georgetown (which doesn't have great metro access) to the Navy yard wouldn't be that great.

I also wanted to live in Georgetown or Old Town when we were first stationed here about 10 years ago, when we had no kids...but the dumps that we could afford (2 bedroom walk ups, no a/c, no parking, $3K+) made us rethink it.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:33 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
The Navy Yard's right on the metro's green line. So you could live near any of the metro stops and he'd have an easy commute. Falls Church, for example, might work well for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia