Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 06:39 PM

230 posts, read 1,035,195 times

Advertisements

Sorry everyone I have more questions regarding schools!

Just when we thought our relocation to the USA from Australia was under control ( ie. new house organised, school organised etc) we've hit a hurdle with regards to schools for our 10 and a half year old. We have her enrolled at Flint Hill School (husband's work will cover the fees) to enter grade 5 but the school is now not sure if she should go into grade 4 as she is missing the final 10 weeks of grade 4 here in Oz and is then missing the first 5 weeks of the new school year in Va (our school year runs with the calendar year in Australia). Problem is they have no vacancies in grade 4 and they can't give us a decision until after we arrive in the US and visit the school. We have found an ideal home to lease within close proximity to Flint Hill School and need to sign the lease agreement ASAP. If she doesn't attend a school close to the house we like then we need to find housing within easy access to our second school choice but this has proven very difficult.

FH have suggested Green Hedges School in Vienna as an option should our daughter fit in best with grade 4. Green Hedges has vacancies but apart from excellent recomendations regarding their preschool program on this forum we know nothing about the school. Just a little concerned about the facilities they will have to offer considering the school appears to be small (not that that's a bad thing). Does anyone have any insight on the school regarding their lower school and middle school ? Any help would be greatly appreciated, we arrive in NOVA in 10 days time and our daughter is supposed to start school on Oct 6th !!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Melbourne Family; 09-09-2008 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 06:51 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,314,403 times
I don't know about Green Hedges, but is there a private Flint Hill School? I know Flint Hill ES, which is part of the Fairfax County School system. If that is the school, what fees would there be? Are you open to public schools, or only private?

Old 09-09-2008, 07:00 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,469,184 times
No personal experience at Green Hedges, but they've been around these parts twice as long as I have (i.e., since WWII), and once you get past the fees, nobody says anything but good things about them. They do one class at each grade level, keep class sizes small, and keep the curriculum varied. Flint Hill is a bigger and grander operation without a doubt, but as a fallback, I'd say that the FH folks are correct that Green Hedges would give you a quite reasonable facsimile, and it wouldn't be terribly out of the way from most any of 22181. Depending on whether you're north or south of 123, there are ways of getting into NW Vienna without confronting the worst of the traffic...

Old 09-09-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
, what fees would there be? Are you open to public schools, or only private?
Although I guess it doesn't matter if his work is paying for the fees. Wow.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:06 PM

Yes tgbwc it's the private Flint Hill School I'm talking about located in Oakton. Since we don't have to cover the cost of school fees we have chosen the private school system primarily for the small class sizes. If we were having to pay the crazy cost of private education in the US then we would definately be going with the public system!

Old 09-09-2008, 07:13 PM

Thanks again Saganista for your help. House is located in the Edgemoore subdivision of 22181. Looks like an easy run from here to either school on mapquest. Thanks for your insight.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne Family View Post
Yes tgbwc it's the private Flint Hill School I'm talking about located in Oakton. Since we don't have to cover the cost of school fees we have chosen the private school system primarily for the small class sizes. If we were having to pay the crazy cost of private education in the US then we would definately be going with the public system!
That's quite a perk! Must be a good job. Good luck on your move. All should go well.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:37 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,469,184 times
That's a fine area back there, and yes, you can go either north or south around the high school over to Nutley, and from there you have just one semi-problematic traffic light between you and GH. It would not be a difficult run at all.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:02 PM

Thanks for that, it's put our minds at ease once again. Back to the packing I go!!!!!!!!

Old 09-09-2008, 09:16 PM

264 posts, read 854,726 times
Flint Hill and green Hedges both have great reputations- you can't go wrong. Also- you're located pretty close to each place (not just flint hill) so you should not have any issues. Ok- gotta ask- what does your DH do? paying for private is a huge perk!?? welcome to our area too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia