Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:14 AM

65 posts, read 258,732 times

Advertisements

All I know is, If I brought 4 GUNS to work and pointed it at someone, I would be FIRED on spot, then taken into police custody and my bail would be so large no one would be able to get me out, I would have a court appointed attorney so I would probably rot in jail. Thats what happens to us normal folk. Arenas will probably get a slap on the wrist and go back to playing, Hell we need atleast one DC sports team to win some games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 11:18 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Plaxico Burress (NFL) also got himself in trouble with firearms, and he was sentenced to 2yrs in prison. DC's firearm stance is as restricted if not more than NY's so it should only be fitting that Arenas face jail time too.

As I understand it, it is very difficult if not impossible to get a permit to carry a firearm in DC outside of your home. The permit that is usually granted is to have a handgun in one's home. Arenas does not live at the Verizon center so there was no reason he should have had a firearm there. He's violated the Wizards and NBA's firearm policy as well as DC's Firearms LAW so I hope the book is thrown at him. Silly as it is, kids look up to these atheletes as role models and he does not seem to be one your kids should be looking up to.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:46 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
So what's the prediction as far as how long the suspension will last? I'm predicting he'll be back after a few games. Like it or not, he's a good player (and that seems to be what really matters these days).
Normie, you dont know David Stern like I do. I dont even follow basketball and I can tell you that Stern will not hesitate to make an example out of a player. Remember that brawl in Detroit a few years ago? He went to the mat on the one and he'll go to the mat on this one. Gilbert might as well call it a season b/c I can't see him playing again after Stern gets through with him.

I think Gilbert should be punished severely. Guns are no laughing matter. I'm very pro-second amendment but what Gilbert did was just asking for trouble. It showed a major lack of maturity and intelligence. This coming from someone who defends Mike Vick.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:19 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Normie, you dont know David Stern like I do. I dont even follow basketball and I can tell you that Stern will not hesitate to make an example out of a player.
Well, I hope you're right. I'd definitely applaud Stern if he made an example out of this. Celebrities should have to follow the law just like everyone else, and they should face the same sort of consequences for their actions.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:50 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
He is in very deep. His career is in Jeopardy.

Let's hope so. Just another overpaid and pampered pro athlete. Little bit of jail time would serve him right.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:22 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlingtoncommuter View Post
All I know is, If I brought 4 GUNS to work and pointed it at someone, I would be FIRED on spot, then taken into police custody and my bail would be so large no one would be able to get me out, I would have a court appointed attorney so I would probably rot in jail. Thats what happens to us normal folk. Arenas will probably get a slap on the wrist and go back to playing, Hell we need atleast one DC sports team to win some games.
Me too! Not only would I be fired, doing this would effectively end my career. I think suspension of any length is too light. I live in the real world and ask no more and no less of anyone else when it comes to responsible behavior. Carrying guns into the locker room, which in this case is his workplace, is way over the line. There are plenty of good players out there waiting to take his place and not act like a fool or a street thug while doing it.

Hell, I can't even carry a cell phone to my desk!

Old 01-08-2010, 10:38 AM

10 posts, read 43,822 times
I think he'll be suspended for the remainder of the season. Beyond that will depend largely on what charges are officially brought against him, and if he's convicted of course.

Despite what he may say, I believe he brought the guns to Verizon for the purpose of playing a joke on Crittendon, not to 'get them out of the house'

IF legal charges are brought against him, I certainly look for the Wizards to void his contract and release him. The the players union will fight to get him some of the money back (as they did with Latrell Sprewell)

Old 01-08-2010, 12:04 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,933,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
He is in very deep. His career is in Jeopardy.
I disagree, his career as a Wizard is pretty much over, but if he sits out the remainder fo the season, some other team will pick him up next year. And even if the NBA gives him the boot, he could easily go overseas and make a killing

Old 01-08-2010, 12:15 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
He sure does look remorseful...

http://media2.myfoxdc.com//photo/2010/01/06/ArenasGunFingers640_20100106170126_640_480.JPG (broken link)

Old 01-09-2010, 12:49 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
So what do you guys think now that a few games have gone by. I don't follow basketball--are they doing just fine without him? (And if they aren't... does it matter?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia