Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 06:22 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,929,148 times

Advertisements

Well, I guess the indefinite suspension is a moot point now. The U.S. Attorney's office filed a felony gun charge against him today. Wonder if he'll end up doing jail time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 10:17 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,237,766 times
I don't know I think its a shame really. I mentioned this on the DC thread too. He broke the law and there are consequences but the felony gun charges are too much. If this had happened in Virginia maybe misdemeanor misconduct charges but felony gun possession?! No way too harsh. In DC though it is illegal for a non-resident to bring a gun into the city limits, which I did not know. So even though perfectly legal in Virginia felony in the District that's crazy.

I mean the guy lives in McLean he doesn't need a gun in McLean but in the District a whole other story. In a way its good for me that this was brought into the news. I had thougth about getting a gun to keep in the car because I got mugged/car jacked a few months ago. But if I pulled out a gun and defended myself I could've gone to jail on felony charges at that. This is hpothetical guns creep me out so doubt I'll be getting one but yeah the District is going overboard. Bring felony charges to some of those hoodlums in NE mugging folks and killing kids not people defending themselves.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I In a way its good for me that this was brought into the news. I had thougth about getting a gun to keep in the car because I got mugged/car jacked a few months ago. But if I pulled out a gun and defended myself I could've gone to jail on felony charges at that.
I think a lot of people are thinking similar things right now.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:44 AM

4,430 posts, read 8,117,920 times
I hope they throw the full 5 years that this charge is eligible for, and this is coming from a gunowner. The reason I say this is because Arenas has already shown he is not a responsible gun owner:

"He was found guilty of possessing an unregistered firearm during a traffic stop in 2003 in San Francisco."

Wizards&#39 Arenas to appear in court on gun charge | InsideNova.com (http://www2.insidenova.com/isn/news/local/article/wizards_arenas_to_appear_in_court_on_gun_charge/50471/ - broken link)

No one should be above the law. He gives responsible gun owners a bad rap.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:49 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,237,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I hope they throw the full 5 years that this charge is eligible for, and this is coming from a gunowner. The reason I say this is because Arenas has already shown he is not a responsible gun owner:

"He was found guilty of possessing an unregistered firearm during a traffic stop in 2003 in San Francisco."

Wizards' Arenas to appear in court on gun charge | InsideNova.com (http://www2.insidenova.com/isn/news/local/article/wizards_arenas_to_appear_in_court_on_gun_charge/50471/ - broken link)

Interesting point. I still think the felony gun charges are a bit much. I guess I just didn't know it was a felony I would've thought this was a misdemeanor requiring short term probation at best. I just didn't know gun laws were so serious.

I can def see your point. I don't know I used to be very anti-gun. Had this been a year ago I'd be like throw the book at him but like I said after the whole mugging/car jacking incident I definitely sing a different tune.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:02 PM

4,430 posts, read 8,117,920 times
It's good that you're taking this as a reality check. If you're going to take the responsibility of carrying a firearm for protection, then you MUST know the laws.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:

Wizards' Arenas to appear in court on gun charge | InsideNova.com (http://www2.insidenova.com/isn/news/local/article/wizards_arenas_to_appear_in_court_on_gun_charge/50471/ - broken link)

What an interesting point. I didn't know this. You're right, having faced a charge like this before he had absolutely no excuse.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:35 PM

5,658 posts, read 5,083,870 times
Quote:
He sure does look remorseful...
I'll bet Homie's not laughing now...

Old 01-17-2010, 04:27 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,704,914 times
I also think the felony charge is too much. Gilbert was dumb to bring guns to verizon center, but lets look at some facts.
1. (as far as we know) the guns were unloaded
2. The guns were legally registered to him
3. We have a right to bear arms

Now I know that DC has their own gun laws, but we have to ask ourselves if his actions warrant a FELONY? If someone can prove that the guns were loaded then maybe I'll think otherwise. I think Gilbert's lack of remorse was probably the turning point for any sympathy or lienency. In that respect he shot himself in the foot :-)

Old 01-17-2010, 08:34 AM

5,658 posts, read 5,083,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
I also think the felony charge is too much.
I disagree. The man has been handed life's golden opportunity and continues to act like a street thug. What does it take to get through to him? As I said earlier, were I to do something similar, it would no tonly cost me my present job but also my career. This isn't an "Opps!" kind of mistake. His bringing multiple guns into his workplace was done with forethought. His lack of remorse only makes him look even more that he thinks the rules don't apply to him. I think the punishment of any crime or violation should be enough to make a lasting impression and stop any further instances - and he's been caught on weapons violations before.

(I also think HOV violation tickets should start at $1000!)

Guilty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia