Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 04:55 PM

128 posts, read 413,356 times

Advertisements

Hi again,

My husband and I have finally made the decision to move to NoVA in June. We know that it won't be perfect, and there are some things that we are not looking forward to about suburban life, but the pros seem to outweigh the cons.

A bit of our background here; If Not DC, Then Leesburg, Middleburg, Purcellville, Winchester, Harpers Ferry, or Frederick? https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...iddleburg.html

We plan on renting for at least the 1st year. Ideally in downtown Leesburg or near a metro in Vienna, Falls Church, or Alexandria...but we would be "ok" with Ashburn, Brambleton, Purcellville?, Reston, Herndon, or Fairfax. I love the historical, charming, small town look/feel of Fredericksburg, Winchester, Frederick, & Harpers Ferry, but I think these locations are just too far out from the city of DC (where we would like to frequent). If we could afford DC or Old Town, Alexandria, that is where we would be!

Ok, here's the problem...every rental that I see has wall-to-wall carpeting (ugh!). Besides my personal aesthetic , the real issue is that I have major allergies to carpeting, and everything that gets trapped in it (dust, pollen, pet dander). In Chicago, NYC, and New Orleans; you can't even find a rental with carpeting, but in NoVa, that is all I see. I don't HAVE to have pristine hardwood floors--parquet, cement/concrete, or any hard-surface flooring would do. How do I find a rental w/o the dreaded carpeting?!?! Any suggestions would be much appreciated .

We are also looking for a rental agent/realtor to work with from afar to secure a rental before moving. Any recommendations? I also have family in Ashburn who can scope out my top picks before signing a lease. I guess I should mention that we would hope to stay under $1600/mo for a 2br with an in-unit washer & dryer. Currently we pay $1350/mo (including heat) for a 3br in a great neighborhood IN THE CITY of Chicago. It is a beautiful apt., and we know that we will have to sacrifice charm, location, and price in NoVA, but we're willing to do so. Do rentals in NoVA include utilities?

Lastly, what do you all know about the new apartments at The Metropolitan at the Village at Leesburg The Metropolitan at Village at Leesburg in Leesburg, VA | Kettler Apartments ? They seem WAY over-priced for the area, but my mother seems to think that they are desperate for renters and would "make a deal". I do see that they are offering 2-3 months of free rent upon lease signing. Again, not my ideal living situation, but they are new, convenient (Wegmans, etc.), and a starting point.

Thank you all in advance! I love reading this board!

Best,
cm143
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 04:59 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
I'm no expert, but my guess is any rental in an apartment building is going to have carpet. If you need a place with strictly hardwood floors, I'd rent from an individual owner.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:25 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
Yes, hardwood floors generally don't work in apartments because they are noisy to the tenants below. Carpets help muffle the sounds of people walking around.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:25 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
You could look for rentals among the condos of Fairlington and Park Fairfax in Alexandria City. Many of the units have their original parquet flooring without carpets.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:54 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
When I used to rent, it was generally condos and they didn't all have wall-to-wall - they did have restrictions though that you have to carpet something like 85%. You might have better luck trying to find a townhouse from a private owner - you wouldn't have someone below you.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:47 PM

722 posts, read 1,980,757 times
What everyone else said. We are currently renting a SFH, and there isn't a carpet in the whole house. In fact, when we searched for this place, we wouldn't even look at properties with wall-to-wall carpeting. Even with this restriction, we saw plenty of houses. We have two young children who spill things often, and it's a LOT easier to keep the place clean without carpet.

If you don't want to rent a SFH, you might want to consider condos or townhomes, but like everyone else said, from individual owners.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:17 PM

Thanks everyone! Very helpful.

athousandlogins--Actually, we would prefer a SFM! I just haven't seen any/much...at least, in our price range of under $1600/mo. Do you have any suggestions of where to look? (I've been looking at CraigsList, HomesDatabase.com, and Realtor.com.)

Thanks again!

Old 01-09-2010, 07:29 PM

In that price range, in Alexandria, and probably without wall to wall carpeting, look at

Condos for Rent

Old 01-09-2010, 10:24 PM

Thanks robbobobbo! Is this area, Parkfairfax, safe?

Old 01-10-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm143 View Post
Thanks robbobobbo! Is this area, Parkfairfax, safe?
Yes, very safe. I lived there for 2 years with wife and child, it was my first home purchase. I bought when the market was hot, and sold when it was still hot, so I got an excellent return. Since most units are 1 or 2 BR, there aren't many families with teens, and that combined with the fact it's not next to shops, 7/11s, or other businesses, you don't have people hanging around with nothing but trouble on their minds. Most of my neighbors were single, older couples, or young couples with a baby.

There is a good mix of renters and owners, and people tend to take pride in the exterior areas. It's very pretty in spring with all the azaleas.

Shopping options within a short walking distance aren't that numerous. Parts of Park Fairfax are close to the shops at Shirlington and there is a pedestrian/bike bridge over I-395 to it. Other parts of Park Fairfax are close to shops/restaurants on Quaker Lane, and, a bit further, the Bradlee shopping mall (that's more like a drive than a walk away, honestly).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia