Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 03:01 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times

Advertisements

Got a chance to go out for a short walk today. BRRRRR it was cold! But it was cool to see all the ice on the Potomac.

Look how beautiful the river is.. and how treacherous. Yes, those are big chucks of ice bopping out in the middle of the river. Lots of large tree trucks, too. Also, check out how high the water level is. Those trees below the waterline are normally up on a bank.

This looks like a field, but it's an inlet that was completely iced over. Ice was thick enough that we saw several people trying to play on it. What fools! Please don't try this--if you fall through, the river is moving very quickly underneath the surface and you will get sucked under the ice in nothing flat.

Sugarland Run was iced over enough that we saw squirrels running across. The ice looks so thick and permanent, but it's not. The next photo was just a short bit away--and as you can see, just the increased amount of running water was enough to completey eliminate the ice. By the way, check out the roots of the tree. The recent rains, snow, and ice have really eroded the shoreline. Next time I come down here, this tree will probably have fallen in.

No ice at the falls, where the water was running fast and there's a good bit of sunlight that had also melted most of the snow.

This is a frozen over side stream. Look how many animal tracks! Fox, squirrel, deer, rabbit, raccoon, and possibly bobcat.

Last edited by normie; 01-10-2010 at 03:14 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 03:05 PM

11 posts, read 29,161 times
Oh, so serene! Reminded me of the wintry days in Wisconsin

Old 01-10-2010, 04:45 PM

239 posts, read 711,405 times
Those photos are so pretty! Thank you!

Old 01-10-2010, 04:59 PM

696 posts, read 1,695,120 times
Those are absolutely gorgeous!!! Thanks for sharing. It was a beautiful day today and nice to not have to battle the wind.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:05 PM

696 posts, read 1,695,120 times
Remember I'm new to VA.....where did you walk?

Old 01-10-2010, 05:14 PM

This is a little side arm of the Heritage Trail (which stretches all the way from Difficult Run to Leesburg). This particular part of the trail is where Sugarland Run meets the Potomac. Some people call the falls Potomac Falls, although it's not formally listed as such on some map that VRE has... thus leading to a long standing joke between us. (He claims it doesn't exist... and hey, his claim is just as believable as mine!)

It's a little difficult to describe how you get to this part of the trail, especially since I take a back route from my house, so I don't access the trail in the same way most people do. The best way might be to park at Algonkian Park and head east. But it's hard to describe which trail in Algonkian to choose. It might be easier to drive to Middle Bluff Road in the Rivercrest section of Cascades. Look for a trail between the houses--it may take you a few passes up and down the street to spot it. The small neighborhood trail leads you down to a large trail. Turn left, and the falls are about a 1/4 mile. If you go over the bridge, the trail then continues into Algonkian Park. There's a side spurt trail that leads to the Potomac and a few small lakes where you'll see lots of herons. This area is informally known as Heron Lake--but again that's not a name you see on maps. (You know what, I don't think those map makers know much about Loudoun County.... according to the map makers the entire town of Hamilton doesn't exist, either. )

Last edited by normie; 01-10-2010 at 05:28 PM..

Old 01-10-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutenfreefinder View Post
Oh, so serene! Reminded me of the wintry days in Wisconsin
LOL! Nova's been reminding me of Wisconsin quite a bit this year. I'll be happy when it gets back to normal and starts reminding me of Virginia!

Old 01-10-2010, 06:52 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,330,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL! Nova's been reminding me of Wisconsin quite a bit this year. I'll be happy when it gets back to normal and starts reminding me of Virginia!
Hey don't be ashamed of Sterling, and rename yourself. LOL

[SIZE=4]You Might Be From Wisconsin If . . . [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=4][SIZE=2]
  • You define summer as three months of bad sledding.
  • Snow tires are standard on all your cars.
  • At least 50% of your relatives work on a dairy farm.
  • You have gotten frostbitten and sunburned in the same week.
  • You can identify a Michigan accent.
  • You know what "cow-tipping" is.
  • You learned to drive a tractor before the training wheels were off your bike.
  • If "down south" to you means Chicago.
  • If traveling coast-to-coast means going from Superior to Milwaukee.
  • The "Big Three" means Miller, Old Milwaukee and Pabst.
  • A brat is something you eat.
  • You know that Eau Claire is not something you eat.
  • You got a passport to go to Minnesota.
  • You used to think Deer Season was an official school holiday.
  • You know that Gotham is a real city.
  • You can actually pronounce and spell Oconomowoc.
  • The snow on your roof in August weighs more than you do.
  • Your idea of creative landscaping is a statue of a cow next to your blue spruce.
  • A Friday night date is taking your girlfriend shining for deer.
  • You go out for a fish fry every Friday.
  • You go to work in a snowsuit in the morning and return home wearing shorts.
  • You tell someone where you are from and they say, "I thought that was part of Canada."
  • You know how to polka.
  • Your formal wear is a flannel shirt, blue jeans and a baseball cap.
  • Your children describe their summer vacation out-of-state as a "trip to Door County."
  • You go to Florida in August to get a tan.
  • You define "swimming season" as Labor Day weekend.
  • Your 4th of July family picnic was moved indoors due to frost.
  • You have more fishing poles than teeth.
  • You think the four basic food groups are Brats, Beer, Cheese and Chew.
  • You were baptized with Blatz beer.
  • You know where to look for a bubbler.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Old 01-10-2010, 07:37 PM

798 posts, read 2,728,803 times
Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Old 01-11-2010, 07:38 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
Hey don't be ashamed of Sterling, and rename yourself. LOL
LOL, you're just jealous 'cuz we get to have a choice of names!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia