U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 08:04 AM

696 posts, read 1,555,544 times

Advertisements

Yesterday's temperature got me thinking about spring. I have a couple of landscaping projects in mind for the front and side yard. When the weather truly warms we'd like to have our materials priced and and ready to purchase. Where is the best place to purchase stone, brick, topsoil, etc? I'm familiar with Home Depot and Lowe's, but how do Burke Nursery and Merrifield compare? Any other suggestions? I'm in the Fairfax-GMU area.

Thanks and Happy Saturday!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 04:29 PM

15,400 posts, read 26,765,636 times
Merrifield Garden Center has top quality, but is expensive. Their top soil is worth the high prices, but for hardscape materials you can probably do better elsewhere. (OTOH, if you're looking for something in particular it's hard to beat their selection. They have everything!)

Old 01-16-2010, 04:56 PM

The best place for mulch, compost, top soil and rocks is Virginia Ground Covers. They only sell in bulk quantities, but the quality is excellent and you can't beat the price. Virginia Ground Covers - (703) 450-4758 | info@vagroundcovers.com

Old 01-16-2010, 09:38 PM

4,711 posts, read 11,509,684 times
I usually go to Meadows Farms because one of them is close...

Meadows Farms - Garden Centers, Landscaping, and Nurseries serving Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, and Washington DC

or Craven's....

Cravens Nursery

There's a hole-in-the-wall place on Pope's Head Rd (between Rt 123 & Fairfax County Parkway) that I've been meaning to check out...I pass it every day in my school bus.

Betty's Azalea Ranch is nearby too...Lee Highway at Fairfax County Parkway

Old 01-16-2010, 10:51 PM

10,919 posts, read 28,036,323 times
For stone, check Sisler's in Falls Church. They have a great selection of just about any kind of stone. It's on Lee Highway/Washington St., diagonally across from Elevation Burger, and across the road from International Motors. They have been there since the 1930s or 40s, IIRC.

Sisler's Stone

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-17-2010, 09:34 AM

696 posts, read 1,555,544 times
Thank you! I'm hoping to price things out soon and let hubby know how much my ideas are going to cost him!

Old 01-18-2010, 06:53 AM

10 posts, read 40,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
The best place for mulch, compost, top soil and rocks is Virginia Ground Covers. They only sell in bulk quantities, but the quality is excellent and you can't beat the price. Virginia Ground Covers - (703) 450-4758 | info@vagroundcovers.com
They do sell some types of mulch in bags, but yes the majority of their products are in bulk (I have a lawn/landscape biz) The one nice thing about VA Ground Covers is their delivery charges are a whole lot less than other places (at least up til last year as far as I know) Around Sterling for instance was only $17 but Meadows Farms was $70.

The best bulk mulch I've seen around is from Remington Mulch Co. on Gallows Road. It's pretty crazy getting in and out of there though. Don't go on a Sat. morning...

Old 01-18-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldieGuy View Post
They do sell some types of mulch in bags,
That's great to know. I usually get a delivery of 4 cubic yards of the black mulch. But sometimes (around this time of year) I wish I had an extra bag just to cover up the last remaining leaves that fall after it snows (what can I say, I'm lazy and it's easier than raking them up, LOL). Maybe I'll call them up and see if the black mulch is one of the ones that you can buy just a bag of. We love the look of the black mulch, but it's hard to find in bag size at places like Home Depot.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:56 AM

10 posts, read 40,756 times
Normie, they sell the bags of the black stuff at Meadows Farms...not sure if every location has the same inventory but the one on 50 by South Riding does at least. I'm not sure if VA Ground sells it in bags or not, never really bothered to look.

I like the black mulch too...just NO red mulch it just looks bizarre in most places!

Old 01-18-2010, 11:29 AM

18,717 posts, read 28,356,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldieGuy View Post
I like the black mulch too...just NO red mulch it just looks bizarre in most places!
LOL, I totally agree. Red mulch looks weird, especially in spring when most of the flowers are pink tones.

One problem with the black mulch is the coloring gets on the paws of your pets and stains carpets. For some reason the brown much is less prone to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia