Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 09:15 PM

35 posts, read 120,752 times

Advertisements

Hello!

As our search for a home continues, we are investigating areas of Alexandria that aren't in the city proper.

One that came to our attention is the area just East of Braddock Road called "Indian Springs". The homes in this little subdivision all seem to be newer than the standard "rambler" homes in a lot of the older subdivisions in our price range. They all look well kept too.

Does anybody know anything about this area? Would we be able to talk to our neighbors? I searched the demographics of Holmes Middle School (which is nearby) and it seems fairly balanced with no majority either way. Is there any sort of active civic association in this area? I tried searching that but came up empty.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 07:58 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Pretty obscure. I've lived here 20 years and that name doesn't even ring a bell. Must be pretty small.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:28 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afewgoodcommunities View Post
Hello!

As our search for a home continues, we are investigating areas of Alexandria that aren't in the city proper.

One that came to our attention is the area just East of Braddock Road called "Indian Springs". The homes in this little subdivision all seem to be newer than the standard "rambler" homes in a lot of the older subdivisions in our price range. They all look well kept too.

Does anybody know anything about this area? Would we be able to talk to our neighbors? I searched the demographics of Holmes Middle School (which is nearby) and it seems fairly balanced with no majority either way. Is there any sort of active civic association in this area? I tried searching that but came up empty.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
There are definitely some nicer older houses in this area, and I think you're right that some may be comparatively large for the price and location.

I'm not sure if it's relevant to you right now, but that neighborhood, even though it is close to Holmes Middle, splits between Holmes MS and Poe MS (students at Weyanoke ES go to Holmes, and students at Bren Mar Park ES go to Poe). They both feed into Annandale HS.

The current middle schools boundaries don't make a lot of obvious sense. Bren Mar used to feed into Holmes, not Poe, but at some point FCPS redistricted some of the Holmes neighborhoods to Poe, and decided to send North Springfield ES students to Holmes, even though Poe is closer to them. I don't know if the intent was to balance the demographics of the middle schools, but it essentially has that effect. If Holmes' boundaries were more compact, it would seem less balanced to you than what you see when you pull up the current demographic information.

Last edited by JD984; 01-21-2010 at 09:11 AM..

Old 01-21-2010, 08:33 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times
The Bren Mar area seems nice. Bren mar is the area just east of 395 off Edsall Rd. The Lincolnia area also has nice homes but seems a little more congested. Lincolnia might be close to the Indian Springs area that you asked about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia