Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:28 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

So John--how was your first weekend here? I hope you found some fun things to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 12:34 PM

993 posts, read 2,490,143 times
Hey Johnny, check out Hard Times in Springfield on Old Keene Mill Road. That was my old stomping grounds. Good luck, my man.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:45 PM

554 posts, read 976,943 times
My first weekend was fine. No real reason to post much on it since it really doesn't contain any useful info. I will say that IMHO mapquest has the backlick / francona road areas all messed up!! I was hoping to be able to post on a first morning comute from lorton to herndon but they don't have my paperwork straight so I didn't get to start work today. I am pretty sure I will get to start tomorrow. Then I will be able to post about the commute.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:04 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
That's odd about the insuarance thing. I registered a bike and a pickup truck without them even looking or asking about the insurance card. I'm a long time residence so maybe they gave you a more thorough look being out of state.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:21 PM

that could be.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:57 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I had not heard this one, very good to know. I have lived in both Texas and New Mexico and both only require proof of insurance with a card being sufficient. I need to remember this one since we have our insurance taken out of our account autmatically I don't get a bill.

The reason you haven't heard this is IT'S NOT TRUE!

When you register a vehicle in VA, you simply certify (check the box) on the application that you have liability insurance through a company licensed to do business in Virginia. No cards or other "proof" is required.

The only time proof of insurance IS required is if DMV has caught you operating an uninsured vehicle in the past...or following some types of suspensions (DUI, judgments, etc).

This confusion may arise from the fact that an insurance policy is one of the documents that DMV will accept as proof of residency.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:12 PM

Looks like I may be incorrect on the insurance bill thing. Guess I got too wrapped up in the overload of paperwork required to become legal in this state. On another note, I finally got to experience the parking issues that I have read about. My townhouse complex had 0 parking spaces available when I got home. I had to park off-site about a block away!!

Old 01-26-2010, 06:35 AM

Just wait till a good snowstorm and you'll really see how fun it is - lol

Old 01-26-2010, 09:07 PM

It' the end of day 8. I probably won't have too much more to post on this until I go for round 2 with the DMV or I try a morning commute and it's worse then I am anticipating. I am waiting on my wife to send me my registration for the cars / bike from Ga and also waiting for NC to clear my issue. It will probably be a few weeks before I tackle it again.

I did meet with the investigator for my clearance today. I posted the details on another thread. Hopefully they will have my interm clearance fixed tomorrow so I can go downtown and get my badge.

Here are my observations from week 1. Keep in mind I am down in Lorton so my perspective is from 1 tiny part of Nova. Traffic is no worse here than in Atlanta. The drive to my office is 27 miles and it takes 45-60 min. I have tried 495 / Leesburg parkway and 123/7100. The drivers are no worse than back home although the cops are more strict. I am used to cruising though ATL at 80+ and getting passed. That won't work here. I also learned that my car has something called signal lights. Never noticed them at home!!
Although there are a ton of chain restaurants, I have seen a bunch of indy places. Esp, ethnic food, pizza and subs. Other than 1 lady at the DMV, no one has been rude. In fact I have talked to alot of people. It is a multi-cultural area. It's common to eat in an italian place and and see Asian, African and Central American wait staff.

Lorton itself seems ok. Housing is very high priced, other stuff is eithor on par or slightly more expensive than Atlanta. I have seen a few sketchy areas an exit or 2 south of Lorton but I wouldn't hesitate to walk around the streets here. At home, I would only walk around my hood if carrying.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:45 AM

Hell bring your gun to VA. It's perfectly legal to Open Carry in VA and no permit is required.

There is also a shooting range in Lorton if you're interested in popping off a few rounds. Sharp Shooters Small Arms Range Location, Directions & Hours : Premier Northern Virginia, DC/Metro source for all your shooting needs

Last edited by oneasterisk; 01-27-2010 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: brain fart - thought you were from NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia