Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 12:22 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,963,025 times

Advertisements

Northern Virginia has one of the highest density of Prius drivers in the country. In addition to the Prius, I see thousands of other Toyotas on the road. It makes me wonder if our local traffic has been at all affected by the recent rumors concerning Toyota cars.

Do you still see as many Toyotas on the road? Are fellow drivers giving a Prius extra room (just to be on the safe side)? Has traffic gotten lighter because the Toyota drivers opt to take the metro instead?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 12:43 PM

4,438 posts, read 8,138,629 times
I don't think it's affected the traffic situation. I've owned Toyotas all my life (currently have two) and thier present problems won't deter me from buying another. Neither of them is affected by the recalls though...

Old 03-10-2010, 01:26 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,452,525 times
We've got two as well - a Sienna (no recall) and a Prius -- a notification months ago that it would be recalled for the floor mat interfering with the gas pedal (it doesn't), but we haven't received the actual recall yet.

We drive them much less than we used to when we were working in DC, but we continue to drive them as we have since we retired.

Haven't had any problems.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I don't think it's affected the traffic situation. I've owned Toyotas all my life (currently have two) and thier present problems won't deter me from buying another. Neither of them is affected by the recalls though...
That's about how I feel. I love my Prius, drive it everywhere, and never had a moment's problem with it. I'll definitely buy Toyotas again, IMO they make great cars.

Anyway, here's why I started this thread: This morning I saw someone get out of my car lane when they saw me coming. It was like they were getting out of my way! And then I realized I didn't see that many Prius on the road. Usually on Rt. 7 every 4th car is a Prius. Probably just coincidence, but it made me wonder.

LOL, if there is a little bit of local panic maybe I can milk this... cars getting out of my way could come in handy.

Last edited by normie; 03-10-2010 at 01:51 PM..

Old 03-10-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, maybe I can milk this... cars getting out of my way could come in handy.
Hmmm, speaking about milking this, I wonder if my Prius could come in handy as an excuse to avoid going to meetings?

Let me try this on for size...

"Gee, I'm sorry I missed the meeting. I was trying to get there but gosh darn it just as I was trying to exit my Prius started going 90 mph and the next thing I knew was in Leesburg!

Then I turned around and tried again... this time I ended up in Alexandria! By the time I got the car settled down the meeting was over. Sorry I missed it..."

Old 03-10-2010, 02:33 PM

509 posts, read 975,152 times
Quote:
That's about how I feel. I love my Prius, drive it everywhere, and never had a moment's problem with it. I'll definitely buy Toyotas again, IMO they make great cars.

Anyway, here's why I started this thread: This morning I saw someone get out of my car lane when they saw me coming. It was like they were getting out of my way! And then I realized I didn't see that many Prius on the road. Usually on Rt. 7 every 4th car is a Prius. Probably just coincidence, but it made me wonder.

LOL, if there is a little bit of local panic maybe I can milk this... cars getting out of my way could come in handy.
Me too - I have a 2006 Prius with 50K miles on it now, and I really can't say enough good things about it. I'd buy another one if I had to replace this car right now.

I have a feeling the great majority of Prius owners are very happy with their cars - at least that's my impression from what I've seen online, and from the other Prius owners I've encountered. Good to know (but not surprising) there's some other fellow Prius owners here on the forum!

Old 03-10-2010, 05:49 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,681,934 times
Quote:
Hmmm, speaking about milking this, I wonder if my Prius could come in handy as an excuse to avoid going to meetings?

Let me try this on for size...

"Gee, I'm sorry I missed the meeting. I was trying to get there but gosh darn it just as I was trying to exit my Prius started going 90 mph and the next thing I knew was in Leesburg!

Then I turned around and tried again... this time I ended up in Alexandria! By the time I got the car settled down the meeting was over. Sorry I missed it..."

I wonder if anybody has tried to use it a defense in a speeding or reckless driving case?

"..Your honor, I assure you I would NEVER willingly drive 120 mph! Sir, it was my Toyota's fault...it has a mind of it's own...I was just along for the ride!!"

It might work, eh?

I have Toyotas and wouldn't hestitate to buy another one. There are just so many horrible drivers...I don't believe any of it.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:32 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,493,816 times
I even have this decal on my rear windshield :LOL:

http://www.modchipman.com/images/1736.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-10-2010 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: Please post a link, do not embed an image that's not your own.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:44 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,771,805 times
Plenty of Toyotas on the road here in Arlington and Alexandria.

Besides Hondas are SO much better!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-10-2010, 07:05 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,416,920 times
I still see many Prius, as well as other recalled Toyotas, on the road, and I don't get out of the lane while driving. However, I do not lead the light when it turns green if the approaching car is one subject to the recall. I'd like to make sure that said Prius will stop under its own power and not use me (or my car) as a means of curbing their forward momentum.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia