Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 09:07 PM

15 posts, read 63,617 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am planning to change Windows and Patio door for our house we have 9 windows and 2 patio door( one in living area and other in basement) I want to know if you anyone has recently replaced windows and patio door and recommend any business for that, I got quote from one company around 9k for everything it was for energy efficient windows and patio door that are qualified for Federal Tax credit.

Please let me know generally how much it cost to put energy efficient windows and patio door.

Thanks for you help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 06:22 AM

63 posts, read 220,539 times
They are really easy to install. Installation will cost the most, so if you are handy, do it yourself. All you do is basically unscrew the old ones from the exterior and pop them out and install the new ones. How old is your house? I know a new patio door can range $700-$2200 depending on size and features, and windows range $285 - $1000 or so, depending on size, if it is a bay window, etc.
go to home depot and price it out, have your measurements ready. they have good quality windows there by american craftsman and jeld-wen.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:46 AM

947 posts, read 1,403,923 times
I just replaced all 13 windows in my house in three stages this past summer/autumn. I had Andersen 400 series high-energy efficient windows installed throughout, and I am very happy with them -- we've actually had to lower the thermostat two degrees from the previous setting because it's too warm otherwise. I ordered the windows through the Home Depot in Reston, and the guys at the window/door desk there were really helpful and professional. Andersen may be a bit expensive, but it's top-quality, and the windows will be a major selling point if and when we ever put this house on the market.

I had my contractor/carpenter install the windows, so I don't think I can give you a useful price comparison with a window installation company. Are you planning to get just insert replacements or full frame (full frame meaning you're taking out not just the glass panes but the entire window frame, right down to the wall)? If full frame, which is what I did, it will be more work and obviously more expensive. My old windows were the original ones in the house from 1971, and their exterior frame had a metal flange that ran completely around each window and had been inserted into the wall of the house. My contractor literally had to cut through this flange with a reciprocating saw to remove the windows. But we had to do this; there was no way that new insert-only windows would fit into the old frame. If you are planning to use a professional installer, I'd suggest you have him look at your house to see what you need.

The price range for Andersen is at the upper end of what tennisplyr mentioned above. I've noticed that the past couple of years Home Depot tends to have a 10 percent off sale on Andersen windows around April.

I don't want to make this post too long, but if you are doing full-frame replacement and.or using Andersen, let me know and I'll be glad to add some more information specifically related to that. By the way, Andersen has a really good Website that, not surprisingly, is very informative about window replacement.

Good luck.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:51 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,111,421 times
Window World replaced all our windows in November. Good price, and the workers seemed to take great pride in their work. Caulking in particular was done well.

We had to interview about 7 vendors to find the right company. Some of the prices out there are outrageous. I can't remember off hand what we paid for Window World but it was reasonable.

The Dulles Expo Center has a Home Show at the end of February and that's a good place to find window vendors and compare prices.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:51 AM

509 posts, read 975,435 times
In my old townhouse, I used Thompson Creek Windows in Maryland - and they were at the time (2006) having some big sale. The bill came to $9K for 12 windows, but they are custom made and work well, and have a lifetime guarantee that can be passed to the next homebuyer (can be pass just ONE time) against any breakage, damage, etc.

They are however more expensive than other windows, since they are custom made - and there's maybe a 6 week time between when they come and measure and when they deliver/install them.

Of course, the price has probably gone up since 2006....

My townhouse was built in 1979 and still had the original windows as of 2006 - they were very drafty, would no longer stay up when opened, etc. etc. And, they were just '79 vintage windows, and not at all energy efficient, did not block out ultraviolet sun rays very well, etc. etc.

My new house - the windows the builder installed I'm not very impressed with. They are energy saving, but nowhere near as good as my replacement windows in my old townhouse! Such is life...

Old 02-17-2010, 09:54 AM

509 posts, read 975,435 times
Had patio door done separately, as someone broke into the townhouse via it back in 2004 (smashed glass, but then also managed to force it open somehow and really bent the frame, etc.). Insurance covered it, but it was somewhere around $1000. Fortunately, I didn't have to pay for that.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:59 PM

15 posts, read 63,617 times
Thanks for all your input I went to Lowes yeaterday, they told me around march they will have sale on Windows and patio doors. I am planning to insall them myself. Can any one let me know how difficult or easy it is to install windows and patio doors. I did of work around my house did hardwood flooring and kitchen remodel so I am pretty good in doing stuff.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia