U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 05:09 AM

35 posts, read 104,418 times

Advertisements

Please forgive me, this is my first post after lurking for years.

My family is considering moving to Fredericksburg from Orange County, CA in the very near future. I have read a lot here on city data but have more questions. Everything we read and everyone we talked to (including former NOVA residents) have only said good and great things about this area. I did some more digging tonight and found out some things that prompted me to post a very few specific questions to start:

1. The U.S. average crime rate is posted at around 300 here on city data. The crime rate for Fredericksburg is close to 450. Are those pockets of crime where it's street gangs killing each other, or is that the kind of thing that makes me think NYC in the 90s? (Where there's a mugging on every street corner and nightly home invasions?) Do you not go down to the Target at night alone for fear of being purse napped?

2. Can anybody give a detailed description of the Stafford Lakes development? Like, about how many houses there are, how many villages, are they mostly owner occupied? Does the nearby Mary college bring in lots of noisy students and noisy parties/drugs/etc.? Is it a new development surrounded by the ghetto?

Thanks all for your help.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 08:49 AM

5,352 posts, read 6,498,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnjiSmith View Post
1. The U.S. average crime rate is posted at around 300 here on city data. The crime rate for Fredericksburg is close to 450. Are those pockets of crime where it's street gangs killing each other, or is that the kind of thing that makes me think NYC in the 90s? (Where there's a mugging on every street corner and nightly home invasions?) Do you not go down to the Target at night alone for fear of being purse napped?
Street gangs killing each other in Fredericksburg???

"Crime Rate" does not mean "homicide rate".

For all of Fredericksburg in 2008: 3 murders. 11 rapes. 38 robberies. 944 larcenies. You see, the bulk is non-violent petty crime. It's no good being a victim of any crime, but bicycles and laptops being stolen doesn't make me fearful of living someplace.

Fredericksburgva.gov - City of Fredericksburg - Police

Fredericksburg is nothing like NYC in terms of crime. Nothing like DC, either.

As far as "ghettos", have you tried using Google Street View to "visit" Fredericksburg and take a look around? Fredericksburg is sleepy. The residents aren't dodging bullets.

Last edited by robbobobbo; 01-28-2010 at 09:10 AM..

Old 01-28-2010, 09:26 AM

239 posts, read 656,606 times
I didnt realize University of Mary Washington is in Fredericksburg...

I only say that because I heard that Fredericksburg is a good day-trip spot. My daughter is a senior in HS and Mary Washington was one of the colleges we looked at. I'm not sure if we just looked at the school at the wrong time of year (early August), but I wouldnt really feel comfortable with her in that area. The school is really pretty, but I didnt feel so comfortable in the surrounding neighborhood.

I do not know anything about Stafford Lakes.

I think that it will depend on where from OC you are to decide how comfortable you will be in different neighborhoods out here. I HIGHLY recommend you come out here and check out neighborhoods you are looking into. There are areas that look like the worst parts of Santa Ana yet are really very decent and safe; there are nice-looking areas (comparable to areas of Irvine) that have higher crime.

Some will get irritated by my next idea, but if you check out schools in the area you will get a good idea of the area.

Good luck with your search and your move...I know by experience that it is soo hard to move to a new state!

Old 01-28-2010, 09:29 AM

18,717 posts, read 28,319,183 times
I wish someone would do a photo tour of Stafford. Not just the historic areas but the everyday areas.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:36 AM

250 posts, read 850,859 times
I came from san diego to fburg about 9 months ago. Definitely some differences. The feel is quite rural, even with the proximity to DC area. Crime? Nothing much really and yes you definitely feel safe to go to target at night. The one thing I'd suggest in looking into homes is the sex registry. I am astonished how many sex offenders there are here and close to alot of the nicer developments.

Traffic is different too. basically there isnt the nice freeway system as so cal has. You have one option-the 95 and it typically sucks because it is 3 lanes and that is IT. It has routinely taken us 2.5 hrs to drive from DC area home to the burg on a weekend in the middle of winter...kinda makes you feel more isolated. Downtown fredericksburg is cute, mainly antique type shops not the cute alexandria regular shopping though but good places to eat and stroll.

Its VERY career oriented here, not as laid back and it takes a while to make friends compared to so cal BUT the people are very friendly once you get to know them.
Oh if you have kids in schools likely they will be WAY ahead too...think like a year ahead. Think the state has some very low standards although most schools will be well rated its only as good as the standard set (parents from fairfax will contest this to no end though probably never have left their district to know otherwise).
I do not have personal experience with stafford lakes but I can say most subdivisions out here are nice, and well kept. Not many 'bad areas'.
good luck

Old 01-28-2010, 02:23 PM

Thank you so much for your input. I seriously couldn't go to bed until almost 5 am because I was so disturbed by this new info I had come upon. Robbobobbo, you made some wonderful suggestions and I am so thankful for that crime map. A picture is worth a thousand words...and I couldn't really ask it but it really paints a picture for me. Treebw, are you from SoCal? We live "close" to Santa Ana and I'm guessing you know what the crime rate is like there. Yet, the crime never seems to cross the invisible line. There seem to be actual streets that mark their borders and right next door is Irvine, the safest city in North America. There was only 1 murder a couple years ago, and it was some insane man with a machete in Albertsons.

So back to the spot crime site, am I looking at it correctly? All the crime is east of I95? NOTHING happened west of it? It is possible, I'm just verifying that I'm looking at it correctly.

Treebw, how do I check out schools? I've been wanting to but don't know how.

Militarymom, thanks for the info about making friends. I will keep that in mind.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:29 PM

P.S. I checked google a couple days ago and there's no street view for the areas in question.
Also, I was ABOUT to look up the sex offender registry when I saw the 450 crime rate index and that stopped me in my tracks...

Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 PM

741 posts, read 3,662,227 times
The University of Mary Washington campus next to Stafford Lakes is the Graduate school... doubt there's any drugs and crazy parties there.

University of Mary Washington | College of Graduate and Professional Studies Home Page (http://www.umw.edu/cgps/default.php - broken link)

The area you are thinking of is just a neighborhood on a 4 lane road, with a new walmart and target and stuff closer to I-95. Nothing exciting really. There isn't street view there, but you CAN check out the satellite view.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:27 AM

389 posts, read 1,135,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I wish someone would do a photo tour of Stafford. Not just the historic areas but the everyday areas.
I will try to do this. I'll start taking my camera with me

Old 03-13-2010, 07:42 AM

389 posts, read 1,135,592 times
I used the family watchdog site to make sure we did not live in a high sex offender area. It looks like there is only one 'registered' offender in the Stafford Lakes subdivision, and he was convicted of sexual battery not child related charges.

I don't know much about Stafford Lakes, but I have driven through the main road a few times. It seems like a very nice new and quiet neighborhood. They are still building in the very back.

As far as crime goes....we live on a dead end street where all the houses have acreage. My dh always checks the paper for our street. The only time we saw a report was for larceny. It turned out to be someone target shooting down the lot signs for a new subdivision that still has not started building yet. I was so relieved when I found out it was just that and not even a breaking and entering theft. I know an expensive neighborhood near us was hit about 2 years ago where the thieves broke into many cars parked on the street and stole laptops, etc.... We always get a good laugh in the weekly paper, when there are many listed reports of calls to 911 for livestock in the roadway.

ETA: also, I always feel safe driving to target, etc. at night in Stafford. I did NOT feel that way about Woodbridge. We were there for 2 months before we moved into our house in Stafford. I still only go to Potomac Mills in the daytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia