Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 06:09 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,545,492 times

Advertisements

Just had their crab chowder and crab cakes. Fabulous! The place is very clean, food was great and so was the service. Try them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 06:16 PM

845 posts, read 2,327,631 times
You have got to be kidding. I had the crabcakes there about 13 years ago and there was about 10 grams of crabmeat in each one. I went because I had a coupon. I moved about 9 times since then, but I still remember The Silver Diner. I also got a big chuckle out of one of Scranbare's posts about 35 USD for a mediocre breakfast for two.

The management and staff seemed to be very Moderator cut: Not necessary, kind of seemed like 7-11 workers.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 01-29-2010 at 01:57 AM.. Reason: Not necessary to generalize, thanks.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:33 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
I also got a big chuckle out of one of Scranbare's posts about 35 USD for a mediocre breakfast for two.
I don't make a habit of patronizing the Silver Diner because I'm not impressed by the price-to-quality ratio. No, I don't expect gourmet dining from a diner, but I'd expect the pricing to reflect the diminished quality. Most people see diner and think "quick cheap eats!" The past two times I've gone there service has been very slow, and I've spent as much as I'd spend grabbing a burger at Clyde's in Reston.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:03 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I don't make a habit of patronizing the Silver Diner because I'm not impressed by the price-to-quality ratio. No, I don't expect gourmet dining from a diner, but I'd expect the pricing to reflect the diminished quality. Most people see diner and think "quick cheap eats!" The past two times I've gone there service has been very slow, and I've spent as much as I'd spend grabbing a burger at Clyde's in Reston.
Have you tried the Amphora Deluxe in Herndon instead? I don't know if it's really any cheaper, or if the food's that much better, but it's a family-owned business, as opposed to Silver Diner, which seems a bit corporate by comparison. If you're homesick for a PA/NJ diner experience, Amphora (in Vienna or Herndon) is a better bet. Or, if you're in Arlington, you should try Bob & Edith's.

My take on Silver Diner is that it's one of these businesses that got a lot of money to expand when financing was cheap, and then the owners and investors largely lost interest (with the predictable impact on the quality) when the return wasn't what they expected.

Last edited by JD984; 01-29-2010 at 02:15 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 02:16 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Have you tried the Amphora Deluxe in Herndon instead? I don't know if it's really any cheaper, or if the food's that much better, but it's a family-owned business, as opposed to Silver Diner, which seems a bit corporate by comparison. If you're homesick for a PA/NJ diner experience, Amphora (in Vienna or Herndon) is a better bet. Or, if you're in Arlington, you should try Bob & Edith's.

My take on Silver Diner is that it's one of these businesses that got a lot of money to expand when financing was cheap, and then the owners and investors largely lost interest (with the predictable impact on the quality) when the return wasn't what they expected.
Thanks for the tip on Amphora. I also agree with your analysis of Silver Diner. It wasn't awful, as I said, but it was disappointing for the price I paid. I've had better food and service for a lower price at Johnny Rocket's!

Old 01-29-2010, 02:22 PM

722 posts, read 1,981,703 times
I like Silver Diner when I want somewhere to eat with my 3 year old that isn't fast food. If we stick to kids meals for him and appetizers for me, the price doesn't get too outrageous. I do not like it for date night, though!

Old 01-29-2010, 02:23 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
I ate at Silver Diner once and liked it. Maybe I just got lucky and picked the right entree.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:25 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
Maybe the ones in Springfield, Arlington, and Fair Oaks are better than the ones you guys have been frequenting, but I've never had a bad experience at Silver Diner. Yes it's a chain (albeit a small one) and it's not "authentic", but the quality of food is about the same as any other diner. It is a little on the expensive side, but only by a dollar or two. They also have the best buffalo chicken sandwich I've had anywhere.

I still don't get how anyone would end up spending $35 for breakfast. Most breakfasts are around $7-9, coffee is $2. Adds up to about $18-22 plus tax and tip, so figure around $23-$28 total.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:47 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Maybe the ones in Springfield, Arlington, and Fair Oaks are better than the ones you guys have been frequenting, but I've never had a bad experience at Silver Diner. Yes it's a chain (albeit a small one) and it's not "authentic", but the quality of food is about the same as any other diner. It is a little on the expensive side, but only by a dollar or two. They also have the best buffalo chicken sandwich I've had anywhere.

I still don't get how anyone would end up spending $35 for breakfast. Most breakfasts are around $7-9, coffee is $2. Adds up to about $18-22 plus tax and tip, so figure around $23-$28 total.
Perhaps it's better now, but my experience at the Clarendon Silver Diner over 5 years ago was dismal. Service and food were very sub-par.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:41 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,727,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post

I agree on the one in Springfield. Most of the staff have been there for years. Service is very quick and friendly. My husband is a foodie/health food freak and that is about the only lower priced chain he will go to. He is big into eggs, and you can't beat them there. He won't eat the fish, but the Kicking crab chowder can't really be beat. The Chicken Salad sandwich is really good as well. Of course we take our 7 year old, and never feel out of place. Biggest mistake we made was going to the kids night there on Tuesday. the noise level even bothered her. But then again her favorite place to go is Bonefish, I don't care for it too much, but if she gets to choose that is where we go. At least it's not Mcdonalds or Taco Bell...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia