Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 02:22 PM

131 posts, read 427,388 times

Advertisements

check out commons of mclean, dolly madision apartments, westerlies, or any complex around there on the fringe of tysons/mclean/falls church. Rented a 3bdr there for $1600 until last spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 03:58 PM

83 posts, read 182,582 times
We're renting at The Oaks at Falls Church, its about a mile or so from Tyson's Mall. Technically we're kind of West Falls Church border of Pimmit area. That being said, we have a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath plus den for $1550 a month. The apartment is nicely updated and in good condition. Although we moved in December when places usually run rent specials so I'm not sure if that price would change. But the location is good, we're about a mile from the West Falls Church metro, there are also 2 shopping complexes within a 5 minute walk from the complex as well. It may be worth checking out.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:28 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,331,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigkan View Post
We're renting at The Oaks at Falls Church, its about a mile or so from Tyson's Mall. Technically we're kind of West Falls Church border of Pimmit area. That being said, we have a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath plus den for $1550 a month. The apartment is nicely updated and in good condition. Although we moved in December when places usually run rent specials so I'm not sure if that price would change. But the location is good, we're about a mile from the West Falls Church metro, there are also 2 shopping complexes within a 5 minute walk from the complex as well. It may be worth checking out.
Not just any shopping centers, either - you've got Ledo's Pizza and Trader Joe's in one, and Whole Foods in the other, right across the street! I think it's a great location! You're also close to a good branch of the Fairfax County Public Library.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:34 PM

83 posts, read 182,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Not just any shopping centers, either - you've got Ledo's Pizza and Trader Joe's in one, and Whole Foods in the other, right across the street! I think it's a great location! You're also close to a good branch of the Fairfax County Public Library.
Yea, we really like the location. We're less than a mile to get on 66 or 495 and right on route 7. Plus in the bigger picture we're pretty centrally located. I'm definitely growing to like the area the more I get a chance to get out and explore and do things. I just wish the weather would let up on the weekends so I could get out of the house!

Old 02-02-2010, 05:43 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,980,043 times
I would suggest looking in Arlington as well--it will be a reverse commute from there. I lived in Crystal City and made the commute to Reston and it was a very easy reverse commute each morning out 66. Do they have two cars? The problem I ran into looking in that area is that most places limit parking to 1 car per bedroom, and 2 bedrooms will be more than $1500.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:25 PM

9,784 posts, read 15,870,653 times
I lived near The Oaks at Falls Church and agree that it is a convenient location. I lived in Tysons Glen apartments/rental townhomes b/c we had a dog and were limited on where we could live. There are several apartment complexes on Route 7 near Marshall High School and Tysons Pimmet library - they are conveniently located and close to Tysons.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:37 PM

261 posts, read 741,976 times
Wow, y'all have provided a wealth of information. To answer a few questions: yes, they have two cars; no, there's no real flexibility for working hours (going in early is fine, leaving early is not - which is what we had to do eons ago when just starting out); and keeping the commute as short as possible is important, in part because of a medical condition. To make matters more complicated, it now appears as if a lot of time will also be spent in D.C. Proximity to a Metro station may be more important than previously thought.

It's been a long time since we lived in places where we used mass transit. Does NoVA offer Park n' Ride lots to encourage Metro use for those who aren't within walking distance of a Metro station? If driving into D.C. is necessary, is parking hard to find/outrageously expensive?

Old 02-03-2010, 05:29 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,949,110 times
Most suburban Metro stations (such as West Falls Church, which is close to the apartment complex Morrigank lives in) have parking lots/garages. But they tend to fill up fast in the mornings. Driving to DC isn't too bad from the Falls Church/Tyson's area, but parking downtown is expensive (not necessarily hard to find).
If access to both DC and Tyson's is important, the Falls Church location is one of your best options.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:53 AM

989 posts, read 2,865,980 times
Depending on the persons employer, they may have a shuttle to/ from metro to work locations in Tysons (I know Booz Allen does).

Old 02-03-2010, 06:51 AM

2,092 posts, read 4,269,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I routinely commute about 22 minutes door-to-door from Reston to Tyson's Corner. The catch? I leave at 5:30 AM. Route 7 is free-flowing at that time. By 7 AM it is bumper-to-bumper. If his work hours are flexible you can find a nice 2-BR place further out.
Use of the Toll Road will get you from Reston to Tysons in about 20 minutes even during rush hour.

Also, for the trips to DC there is a Park-n-ride with Bus service to the West Falls Church Metro. The trip on the Bus/Metro to DC will take about an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia