Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:07 AM

4,456 posts, read 8,150,992 times

Advertisements

I know in my area my street was already plowed at 5am this morning. I usually go to the gym at 5am and figured I'd skip it, instead opting to shovel my driveway and sidewalk. All the roads I travelled on to get to work were well plowed and it was easy getting around.

Of course I had to dodge the slow poke drivers who just HAD to be in the "fast" lane going well below the speed limit

YMMV but in my area, all is normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 07:15 AM

12 posts, read 27,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fens View Post
Some of us have jobs where we have to be there regardless of the weather. I'm getting pretty tired of all of the NOVA/DC/MD area residents acting as if this is some tropical paradise and it is out of the ordinary to get snow here. Everyone always says "we just aren't prepared for this!" Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it snow at least once just about every winter? I just think it is ridiculous that 1-3 inches of snow is not cleaned up in time for some of us to go to work in the morning. The other excuse of "we have nowhere to put it!" is complete B.S. as well because when I lived in North Jersey as well as urbanized areas of PA there never was a problem removing snow from roads. Those areas were just as densely populated if not more than anywhere here. I think the absolute negligence of this place when it comes to preparing for weather they know they are going to get year in and year out is unbelievable.

To all the people who are wishing for snow because it is "wintery" or "festive", STOP. Or here is a suggestion. Learn how to drive in it. It isn't anything more than an inconvenience to me and I have no interest in getting in an accident because you have no clue how to drive when there is 1-3 inches on the ground.

God, I can't wait for the season to change, or my area of residence. At least I have saved money seeing as no one hires from out of state. A few more months and I should be fine to leave.
As someone originally from Buffalo... I believe it's amount of equipment to use for removal, and experience at doing it that sets the city apart from places that actually get real amounts of snow. While the snow in Buffalo is often sensationalized in the news as far as the amount and how "bad" it is, even there they weren't the greatest at removal... if you drive around Buffalo in the winter I guarantee you will find densely populated side-streets that haven't seen a plow, presumably all winter. One thing I remember them doing that they don't appear to do around here, is prepare for the storm by sending out trucks to salt/sand the roads, so as it falls, it immediately starts to melt.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:26 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,742,761 times
I mostly agree with you OP. But a miracle happened this time! Our street was plowed by 6:30am! Yes, shocking since this was pretty much the first time this winter.. It was plowed before but two days after it snowed so that doesn't count. Might actually venture out to the mall today.. Can't believe this is the SECOND day off for public schools this week, ridiculous! Wanna bet that tomorrow is off too..

Old 02-03-2010, 07:31 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,729,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
Wanna bet that tomorrow is off too..
They'll have school tomorrow. But Friday will be a no school day thanks to the next round.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:36 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,477,248 times
The only thing that bugs me about the snow is that our street doesn't get plowed until very late. It doesn't bother me so much to get heated about it. But, I live on a no outlet road, near the end of it, and we're almost always the last to be plowed.

Sometimes I don't mind it though (especially on the weekends when I don't have to go to work), seeing the snow fall all night in the quiet is peaceful to me.

It's just waking up the next day to deal with it and drive in it that's bad )

Old 02-03-2010, 08:01 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,930,992 times
We lived on a true dead end in McLean, with absolutely no way for a snow plow to turn around. Not surprisingly, our street was never one of the first to be plowed. So you get up earlier and deal with it.
Now we live in the lake-effect snowbelt, where the average winter snowfall is 72 inches. Guess what? Even though the area is obviously used to snow, it still takes the limited number of trucks some time to get to every street. We often have to drive over 5-6 inches of snow to get out in the morning. By the afternoon, it's plowed.

Expecting every residential street to be plowed, salted, and sanded by 7 am is simply not realistic. Someone is always going to be at the end of the run.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:18 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,602,775 times
Fairfax County should designate snow lanes for towing vehicles as a potential revenue-raiser.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:25 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,729,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Fairfax County should designate snow lanes for towing vehicles as a potential revenue-raiser.
GREAT idea! You should submit this idea to the Board of Supervisors!

Old 02-03-2010, 08:50 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,122,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
wow, didn't think the OP deserved to get slammed just because they have a difference of opinion. Not cool.
Well.... I do think the OP could have waited until this morning to see how the roads were, instead of writing a post in the middle of the storm, assuming it would be bad.

My experience with the roads this morning was good. I had to pick up my mother in law in Reston and get her to an appointment in Gaithersburg. All the main roads were plowed, and most of the side roads, too. I had no trouble at all on any part of this trip.

The only possible problem I saw today was one small stretch of road to her townhouse complex, which wasn't plowed (I think it may be a private road). I had no trouble driving on it since it was just an inch of slush, not ice. If it isn't melted away by the time we return this afternoon, I might just pull out the shovel and clear it myself. It'll take less time to clear this little bit of road than to b*tch about it.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:50 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,685,905 times
During the December storm, our neighborhood didn't see a plow for about 2 days after the snow stopped. Our HOA also does not have private contract, so we do depend on the county. Our winters are generally so light that we ditched the private contract years ago--they charged whether they came or not.

For the storm that we got Friday into Saturday, I had three county plows come through by Saturday evening, which I thought was a phenomenal response. By Sunday morning, everything in Woodbridge was really cleared down to the pavement.

Last night's storm response had a plow through my neighborhood by about 6:00 a.m. but I could've gotten out without it. It just wasn't that bad.

I don't think the plowing is bad here at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia