Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 05:12 AM

100 posts, read 218,927 times

Advertisements

We're in Vienna now and the commute is killing me, especially with a small baby at home. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 05:21 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
No help here. I actually thought Vienna was one of them!

Old 02-20-2010, 07:01 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
You think you have it bad you should move to Manassas or Stafford. You'll love the commute from Vienna. You want a shorter commute you can move inside the beltway to Arlington or Alexandria.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:10 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
To move closer in and keep a great school pyramid, you can look in the City of Falls Church, McLean, or Arlington. In all three places, you will most likely get less house for the money that you have in Vienna. In Falls Church and Arlington, you may be able to take Metro into DC, but it can be difficult to find parking at most of those stops, so unless you leave for work very early, or have someone who can drop you off, you'll either have to walk or take a bus to the station. You should factor that into your commute time -- when I lived in North Arlington near the EFC station, the commute to Vermont & K took 50 minutes door to door. Most people who live in McLean drive in to DC, but certain parts of McLean are fairly close to the Falls Church Metro stations if you prefer not to drive.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:31 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Difficult question, since we don't know what would be a good commute for you. Since you already live here why don't you tell us what neighborhoods you'd consider to be an easy commute from your job, and we will tell you how good they are.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:44 AM

100 posts, read 218,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Difficult question, since we don't know what would be a good commute for you. Since you already live here why don't you tell us what neighborhoods you'd consider to be an easy commute from your job, and we will tell you how good they are.
We haven't done any research re: the neighborhoods.

My job is in walking distance from the red line in downtown, and 99% of my coworkers live in MD or DC. Everybody at work advised me to 1) move to Bethesda or 2) move to DC and put the child in private school. I'd rather stay in VA for education reasons.

Ideally, we're looking for a max commute of 30 minutes via car and/or metro in a community with great schools. I'm working 10 to 12-hour days and need another 2+ to commute now.

Space is not an issue - I grew up abroad in a big congested city and we have just one child. Quality of life is more important than space.

Any neighborhood suggestions?

Old 02-23-2010, 05:37 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
10-12 hour days at work with a long commute and a baby at home? Yikes. No wonder you're stressed. Are you sure a move closer to downtown is really going to make life that much easier?

In any event, I think you probably know the answer to your question. Most of the places that would meet your requirements will be in North Arlington (Jamestown, Nottingham, Taylor, Glebe, ASF, Key ES districts). A rush-hour commute to DC from McLean can still easily take 45 minutes, so I'd stay out of Fairfax and even the Tuckahoe ES area of Arlington entirely.

Or you could move to DC or Bethesda now and reconsider where you want to be in a few years when your child is actually ready to enter school.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:55 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
There are some REALLY good schools in Montgomery county on the red line, so don't discount Maryland on the basis of schools.

30 minutes isn't going to get you from VA to the red line on the metro with driving to the station, parking and switching lines, unfortunately. I feel for you...I did 12+ hour days for a year, and it was brutal. The good news is the traffic at 11:00 at night is nonexistent...

Old 02-23-2010, 07:12 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
This may go without saying, but if you currently live in a SFH in Vienna, you may be fortunate to find a TH in comparable neigborhoods closer in.

With that said, if you can possibly stretch that commute out to 40-45 minutes, you may find some options in Alexandria. There are a number of "cute" bungalows in the southern portion of the Del Ray near the King Street station. It would be an easy ride on the Yellow Line (or Blue if the mood strikes you) with a quick connection at Gallery Place to the Red Line.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:51 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
This may go without saying, but if you currently live in a SFH in Vienna, you may be fortunate to find a TH in comparable neigborhoods closer in.
Tone - That might be the case for people who currently can only afford an older home in, say, Vienna Woods in the Town of Vienna. But there are certainly plenty of people in both the Town of Vienna and the surrounding neighborhoods in the county with Vienna addresses who could sell their homes and still easily afford a smaller SFH in McLean or Arlington, or a similar house in most of Alexandria (excluding places like Old Town). People don't always decide to buy houses in Vienna or, for that matter, many Loudoun neighborhoods because they are priced out of McLean or Arlington. Many value the other amenities those communities provide, although a short commute to DC by car is not one of them.

Last edited by JD984; 02-23-2010 at 08:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia