Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2010, 11:28 AM

62 posts, read 175,500 times

Advertisements

I have a job opportunity near Dulles airport. Any suggestions on nearby towns? I've been to the area before and it seems nice, although congested and maybe a little overdeveloped. I'm looking for a fairly quiet town with excellent schools, low crime, and nice town center with dining and shopping (maybe walkable and/or the opposite of strips malls) and parks would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 01:10 PM

18,717 posts, read 30,950,414 times
Sounds like Reston to me. Although, you're going to find mostly chain restaurants there. There's no escaping them if you want to live near Dulles. All the nearby communities are upscale suburbia, which means McMansions, strip malls and chain restaurants. It's nice suburbia (lots of parks, sidewalks, things to do).

Here are some photos of Reston. Town Center area sounds like it would be the most appealing to you.

Reston-South Lakes
Reston-Town Center and Lake Anne

If you want a community that's a little less crowded, Brambleton or Cascades might appeal. Their town centers are much smaller (I'm counting Cascades Marketplace as a Town Center since it has restaurants, stores, farmers market, sidewalks and tiny park, senior center and the library). But they aren't as crowded as Reston or Herndon. Herndon is another town you might like. It has a small historic district you might enjoy.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:48 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,839,466 times
Ashburn is very close very family friendly and has great schools... But I wouldn't consider it a "quiet little town" It's suburbia. it's conjested and densely populated.
The town center at Bramleton is very nice.

As is Cascades...pretty dense population and pretty busy.

I also wouldn't consider Reston/Herndon as a little town either...but both offer family friendly living with good schools (although I believe Restons schools are better...esp MS/HS) Both are quit conjested with traffic.

For quiet little towns still close for Commute to Airport...try Purceville. it has some resturants, grocery stores library etc... that other smaller places like Hamilton don't...But I would consider Hamilton too...

Old 02-22-2010, 02:14 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,692,179 times
Vienna might be a good fit for you. It's a small town with some old-time charm. Vienna seems to be a little older and laid back than other nearby towns, and you are likely to find more of a local atmosphere there than the other places mentioned.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:55 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,549,188 times
Sterling (lived there in 2004), Centerville, Chantilly and Reston are good. A little further are Leesburg, and Fairfax. Alexandria, Arlington County, McLean (Tysons Corner), Franconia-Springfield and Burke are a bit too far in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia