Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 08:55 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times

Advertisements

I'm in 22193, which is Dale City; however I live off Cardinal and we had very little foreclosure action over that way. Most sales have been actual sales even though there has been very little movement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 08:58 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times
Hmmm...just looked at my parent's home in 22192. There assessment went down quite a bit. Their neighborhood is a huge townhouse development so that could be the difference.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:16 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,086,522 times
Mine dropped by $3,000. I wish I had paid only what the assessment says it's "worth". But we're not selling anytime soon (as far as we can tell right now) and are in it for the long haul. I still owe a lot less than the assessment though.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:01 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,314,403 times
We moved from PW in April. Had to look at our old house out of curiosity and the total assessment went up $3,500 from $289,100 to $292,600. Zip 20112

Old 02-27-2010, 03:19 AM

509 posts, read 974,535 times
My house in Gainesville (20155) dropped 4.77% in value. This is a new house built (completed) in October 2008. Doesn't worry me though that it is assessed much less than I paid - I don't plan on selling anytime soon. I just moved in last November, and hope to stay in this house for many years. I stayed in my last house (my townhouse which was my first house) for 25 years, and I hope to stay in there as long (assuming I live that long...)!

Old 02-27-2010, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
Our assessed value went down 6.65%, which is of course less than what we paid. At least the amount of taxes we pay has gone down since 2006. I don't fret over the assessed value since I don't plan on selling any time soon.

For the record, the houses like mine in my neighborhood have been selling for about $60K over the assessed value. The exact same houses in another neighborhood about 3 miles away are selling for around the assessed value... weird.
I agree, I've been watching sales of comparable houses to mine in the neighborhood just out of curiosity - nothing more. I use www.franklymls.com - you can subscribe to all listings/sales in your neighborhood - it is fun to see what your neighbor's houses are selling for (if you like being nosy). There haven't been any sales near me since all the houses in this little section have been built in the last year and a half. But for the rest of the neighborhood, I've noticed about the same thing - for my model I've seen used ones selling for $40K - $50K above last year's assessment for that exact address the sale occurred! Assessments for our neighborhood (me and Heather live in the same neighborhood but have different model houses) - seem very very low. However, not complaining - it keeps the tax bill lower!

Of course, they may raise our tax rate more than the 4.77% my assessment dropped this year. I can forsee my taxes going up, but maybe not. It will be interesting to see what happens with the tax rate.

I'm still waiting for Manassas City to come out with their assessments so I can see what happened to the assessment on my former townhouse there. That should be interesting.

Interesting, Heather72, regarding sales in the older neighborhood 3 miles south of us. That is really weird as you say! That neighborhood's houses are identical models to the ones in our neighborhood (well, some of the models are - including my model). It is just the neighborhood the builder built before this neighborhood, which is still being built. I guess one theory would be, the used houses always sell for less than the new houses. But, since this neighborhood is still being built, the new house prices are raising the prices the old houses are being sold for. I know next to nothing about real estate, so that's just a theory I'm tossing out. The other neighborhood has been finished I think for 5 years, or probably completed around the time this one started being built - give or take a year or two. I don't really know when that one was completed, but many houses there were built back in 2000 even.

Last edited by ngadude; 02-27-2010 at 03:35 AM..

Old 02-28-2010, 10:56 AM

230 posts, read 1,215,443 times
We're also in a newer section of 22193. Our house went up 27K, or 7.5% from last year's assessment. Looks like homes are selling in our neighborhood for roughly 60K over the assessed values recently.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:45 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,077,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
Our assessed value went down 6.65%, which is of course less than what we paid. At least the amount of taxes we pay has gone down since 2006. I don't fret over the assessed value since I don't plan on selling any time soon.

For the record, the houses like mine in my neighborhood have been selling for about $60K over the assessed value. The exact same houses in another neighborhood about 3 miles away are selling for around the assessed value... weird.
It's weird but true that the assessments seem to have very little connection to how much a house sells for.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:53 PM

67 posts, read 214,423 times
Ours decreased about 3%, although it's still at a bit more than what we paid last year. Not too bad. We're in 22193 (Dale City) and not concerned about that assessment since we plan to be here for a long time!

Last edited by AmandaVA; 03-02-2010 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: Additional information

Old 03-03-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
It's weird but true that the assessments seem to have very little connection to how much a house sells for.
That's definitely true. You would think they would look at recent comparable sales in the last few months - if possible. There doesn't seem to be much correlation in my neighborhood between assessments and what used houses are selling for there. I find it very strange, but don't mind that the assessed value is much lower $40K - $60K than what recent used house sales have been. It keeps my taxes low, but PWC is kind of shooting themselves in the foot. They might not need to make the tax rate so high if assessed values were reflective of what the houses actually are selling for.

Of course, it may not be that way all over PWC, but at least in my neighborhood, which is a relatively new neighborhood - it seems to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: