Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 12:04 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

Last night I had my beer snob friends over and serving them Kirkland Beer (the house brand from Costco). You should have seen their faces. First it was Oh, the horror! Then, Oh, the intrigue! and then, Oh my, Costco beer is actually good!

I would never have tried Costco beer if I hadn't read about it right here on this forum. So thanks, whoever it was that recommended it.

Also, this forum was where I learned about the the Scottish Christmas Walk in Old Town, the Rosslyn Jazz Festival at Gateway Park, and the Clarendon Cup bike races. All great things.

And I will always be grateful for the advice I got on how to fix my snowblower this year, as well as Car54's directions for how to care for the machine in the future.

So many great tips I've gotten from this forum. What are some of the good bits of advice you've gotten?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 12:44 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
My brother got an apartment in Alexandria after I read someone's positive review here and clued him in. It really is a nice apartment, too. Too bad he doesn't think this puts him forever in my debt, LOL.

Thanks to the poster who talked about Coco Sa La. That's now one of my favorite restaurants.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:45 PM

How could I forget to mention all the alternate routes mentioned on here? I like them so much that I've sort of adopted the alternate route thread as my own special project. I just figure that if I collect them in one thread it'll be easy to find them when I want them. And it's helpful for everyone else here, too.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:42 PM

696 posts, read 1,693,919 times
I think the car registration was the most helpful to us. Now that I've survived summer, fall and almost all of winter in NOVA, I'd say the "What to do thread" has been my favorite.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:12 PM

104 posts, read 416,599 times
Where exactly to move to! I first found this forum when we were living in Chicago and my husband had just been transferred to Chantilly. Normie and a few others posted about how great the Cascades area of Sterling was and how it would be a pretty good commute for my husband. Well, it was love at first sight when we arrived and we have been living in the Cascades for close to 2 years now. We have just put an offer in on a house in Countryside because we just love this area too much to look anywhere else!

Old 03-04-2010, 05:17 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
The alternative to Glebe Rd in Arlington to get to Ballston was great. George Mason Dr is much less a headache.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
The alternative to Glebe Rd in Arlington to get to Ballston was great. George Mason Dr is much less a headache.
Yes, some of the route suggestions have been excellent. Bmwguy's suggestions for getting from Arlington to Springfield are especially good.

Also, the tip about using the Sterling DMV is worth its weight in gold.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:49 AM

88 posts, read 273,039 times
Schools.

It may be tedious for some/many (and I would have ignored the threads before kids) but the factual info and strong opinions have been very, very helpful.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by housewatcher View Post
Schools.

It may be tedious for some/many (and I would have ignored the threads before kids) but the factual info and strong opinions have been very, very helpful.
LOL, each of the forums in city-data has its own personality and sometimes I think ours is the most like a reference desk at a library.

It has to be that way, of course, because we're the one area lots of people are moving to right now. People moving in need a ton of information... but yes, that sometimes means the amount of detail can be impressive (aka tedious). I tend to ignore any thread that doesn't really interest me (For example, I don't speed, so I don't really need to know all the laws and details about reckless driving.)

I also agree, it's the combination of strong opinion and facts that makes this site so useful. You can get facts from a number of sites, but strong opinions sometimes tell you a lot more.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Also, the tip about using the Sterling DMV is worth its weight in gold.
LOL, a tip that's worth it's weight in gold. Hmmm how much does a tip weigh, anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia