Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 11:51 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

It might be a good time to recommend companies for cutting down trees and other major arbor services. Looks like a lot of people need to remove trees that broke during the storm.

Note: if you recommend a company, try to give a link or a phone number or some way to identify the company. I just told someone to use Adams Tree but they wrote back to say "which one". Apparently there are a few companies by that name. Unfortunately I don't remember anything but the name so I guess my advice wasn't as useful as it could have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 11:53 AM

BTW, for the pepole who live in HOAs that have the rule that if you cut down a tree you must plant a new one.... are they suspending this rule right now? Or are you literally obligated to replant trees in addition to removing the ones that got damaged in the storm?

Old 03-09-2010, 08:07 AM

Adams Tree service is based in Culpeper. Phone: 540-547-3779. I hear they're pretty booked up right now, but they do good work if you are willing to wait a few weeks.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:57 PM

8 posts, read 14,473 times
I little hint - ask for a Certified Arborist - someone who has passed the International Society of Arboriculture's certification exam. Otherwise you might just get some guy with a pickup and a chainsaw who calls himself an arborist. Remember, you can't glue those limbs back on when they screw up your tree. And having a tree pruned or removed by someone who isn't licensed and bonded can come back to bite you if they get injured...and decide to sue you. Yes, it happens.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_juggler View Post
I little hint - ask for a Certified Arborist - someone who has passed the International Society of Arboriculture's certification exam. Otherwise you might just get some guy with a pickup and a chainsaw who calls himself an arborist. Remember, you can't glue those limbs back on when they screw up your tree. And having a tree pruned or removed by someone who isn't licensed and bonded can come back to bite you if they get injured...and decide to sue you. Yes, it happens.
I've been watching an assortment of neighbors get trees taken down. One guy seemed pretty amateur to me. When the tree crashed down he barely had enough room to run away from it. I guess all sorts of people are out there right now thinking it's a good way to make a buck--all you need is a chainsaw (and hopefully enough smarts to get out of the way when the tree falls down).

Old 03-12-2010, 08:26 PM

101 posts, read 219,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I've been watching an assortment of neighbors get trees taken down. One guy seemed pretty amateur to me. When the tree crashed down he barely had enough room to run away from it. I guess all sorts of people are out there right now thinking it's a good way to make a buck--all you need is a chainsaw (and hopefully enough smarts to get out of the way when the tree falls down).
All you need is a chainsaw if you are on a large property.

If you're in close quarters, that's a different story, where branches on large trees need to be taken down piecemeal.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:47 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
JR Sisk is my tree guy!

Jr. Sisk Tree & Landscaping Expert

Old 03-13-2010, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingerr8 View Post
All you need is a chainsaw if you are on a large property.

If you're in close quarters, that's a different story, where branches on large trees need to be taken down piecemeal.
Most definitely! (I was being sarcastic, BTW--now that I re-read my post I'm not sure that came across. Taking down a tree is tricky, not just a matter of using a chain saw and calling out "Timber!")

Old 03-13-2010, 07:16 AM

101 posts, read 219,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Most definitely! (I was being sarcastic, BTW--now that I re-read my post I'm not sure that came across. Taking down a tree is tricky, not just a matter of using a chain saw and calling out "Timber!")
Anyone who thinks taking down a tree with a chainsaw is easy work hasn't done it before, but given that, arborists and tree companies charge wide ranging prices for identical jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia