Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 07:54 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngadude View Post
Here's a link to one story I remember - search for "run off the road" on this page in the comments section of a WTOP story on hybrids - Hybrids Can Keep Using Va.'s HOV Lanes - wtop.com
Interesting, thanks for finding this. BTW, for those who are curious, this is the post:

Lizard @ 5:33pm - Wed Dec 31st, 1969 As a hybrid driver for 3 years, I still can't believe the highway HOV signs do not say hybrids are exempt. I have been run off the road, high-beamed, honked at, tailgated, had drivers roll down their windows and point to me as I drive past state cops, flicked off, had drivers point to the HOV sign as if I'm stupid, harassed, etc. I know it's because many people don't know I'm allowed to be in the lane. But if you're going to continue the law, please adjust the sign.

The reactions to this post were:
"Agree":"1","Funny":"1","Insightful":"1","Disagree ":"-1","Offensive":"-1","Troll":"-1"

So, we have an internet comment with no actual media evidence to back it up, and the people reading this story were split on whether they agreed or disagreed. I don't know, maybe it happened but without evidence this wouldn't stand up in court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 07:59 AM

509 posts, read 974,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Interesting, thanks for finding this. BTW, for those who are curious, this is the post:

Lizard @ 5:33pm - Wed Dec 31st, 1969 As a hybrid driver for 3 years, I still can't believe the highway HOV signs do not say hybrids are exempt. I have been run off the road, high-beamed, honked at, tailgated, had drivers roll down their windows and point to me as I drive past state cops, flicked off, had drivers point to the HOV sign as if I'm stupid, harassed, etc. I know it's because many people don't know I'm allowed to be in the lane. But if you're going to continue the law, please adjust the sign.

The reactions to this post were:
"Agree":"1","Funny":"1","Insightful":"1","Disagree ":"-1","Offensive":"-1","Troll":"-1"

So, we have an internet comment with no actual media evidence to back it up, and the people reading this story were split on whether they agreed or disagreed. I don't know, maybe it happened but without evidence this wouldn't stand up in court.
The thing is, this isn't the only story like that I've read. Also, generally where there's smoke, there's fire. I really don't doubt this story based on the fact this isn't the only one I've heard or read, and my own observations that there are indeed some crazy "road rage" drivers on the roads here. Now, I'm not saying it would happen often, but I'm sure in the past 5 years or so of HOV lanes with hybrids in them - it is not surprising in that time in this area that there might have been a few of these "road rage" type incidents. Hopefully (and probably) they are few and far between, but I'm not surprised that the number is non-zero.

I'm a little confused by those ratings at the bottom though - or maybe that means there was one person in each category. The negative numbers are what are confusing to me - but maybe I see how they make sense. One reply though was interesting - and that guy seemed to suggest he would happily tailgate/flash his lights at someone driving a hybrid in the HOV lane.

I also wonder what someone who rated that post as "Funny" meant. I don't see much funny about it - so really if you take the "Funny" rating into account - it seems more people disagreed with the poster than agreed.

I don't know how you'd have real hard evidence this happened - unless someone nearby was filming the entire thing. The chances of that seem remote (that someone would catch this on film). Just because it didn't appear in a newspaper or on the 6 o'clock news in the form of pictures/film, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngadude View Post
There's some very interesting comments there on this link (I'll repost it again) - Hybrids Can Keep Using Va.'s HOV Lanes - wtop.com
I'm glad you reposted this--I found the same comment but on a different page and the one I found obviously had the wrong date. Yours was dated Wed Mar 21st, 2007 which makes a lot more sense.

Of course, it's still just someone's internet post, and, as we all know, people regularly exaggerate on the internet. It happens all the time on city-data, so I'd imagine it happens on this site too. I note the comment about being run off the road was mentioned in passing as part of a list. IMO if she was really run off the road that would be the central point of the post, which makes me think whatever happened to her may have been exagerrated and wasn't that big of a deal.

So, without an actual news story to back it up, does a single comment written in 2007 mean that much? Maybe, I guess it depends on your POV. OTOH, you're right that these things do happen and can happen anywhere. So it's believable it could happen here too.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:10 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,128,439 times
While hybrids are legally allowed in the HOV lanes, the anger over them probably has to do with the fact that you can get in there solo. It's not really following the spirit of HOV if you're in a hybrid by yourself IMO.

Motorcycles also are allowed to use the HOV lanes and I never had any issues on the I95 or I66 HOV corridor.

Anyways I see tons of Toyotas (prius and otherwise) on the roads. I don't understand why people would "fear" the sight of a Toyota. I wouldn't change lanes because I saw a prius behind me. Let me get rear ended so I can sue Toyota - lol

Old 03-12-2010, 08:21 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
While hybrids are legally allowed in the HOV lanes, the anger over them probably has to do with the fact that you can get in there solo. It's not really following the spirit of HOV if you're in a hybrid by yourself IMO.

Motorcycles also are allowed to use the HOV lanes and I never had any issues on the I95 or I66 HOV corridor.
It seems to me that over the years, more anger has been expressed about hybrids being allowed to use the HOV lanes than motorcycles. Since often the hybrid is carrying the same number as the motorcycle - one - I have to assume that either (1) there's something else going on ... some irrational anger over hybrids in general; or, (2) there's a serious lack of knowledge among people using the HOV lanes as to who is and who is not legally allowed to use the HOV lanes.

Every once in a while I'd get a look as someone passed our Prius, but not often - they'd have to catch up to me first!

Old 03-12-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I'm glad you reposted this--I found the same comment but on a different page and the one I found obviously had the wrong date. Yours was dated Wed Mar 21st, 2007 which makes a lot more sense.

Of course, it's still just someone's internet post, and, as we all know, people regularly exaggerate on the internet. It happens all the time on city-data, so I'd imagine it happens on this site too. I note the comment about being run off the road was mentioned in passing as part of a list. IMO if she was really run off the road that would be the central point of the post, which makes me think whatever happened to her may have been exagerrated and wasn't that big of a deal.

So, without an actual news story to back it up, does a single comment written in 2007 mean that much? Maybe, I guess it depends on your POV. OTOH, you're right that these things do happen and can happen anywhere. So it's believable it could happen here too.
Your points make sense. People do indeed exaggerate on the internet - as they can be anonymous and really write anything without real proof, etc.

Anyway, who knows if that one comment is about something that really happened or not. Although, as I said I've read other similar stories. Hopefully, if this HAS happened, it hasn't happened much here in Northern VA. One has to think these are extremely isolated incidents, if and when they do occur.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
It seems to me that over the years, more anger has been expressed about hybrids being allowed to use the HOV lanes than motorcycles. Since often the hybrid is carrying the same number as the motorcycle - one - I have to assume that either (1) there's something else going on ... some irrational anger over hybrids in general; or, (2) there's a serious lack of knowledge among people using the HOV lanes as to who is and who is not legally allowed to use the HOV lanes.

Every once in a while I'd get a look as someone passed our Prius, but not often - they'd have to catch up to me first!
I think some people just are angry for reasons that don't make logical sense, in the case of this issue. They may be unhappy because they themselves haven't bought a hybrid and aren't able to be in the HOV lane. Or, it does seem some people just don't realize that hybrids are currently allowed to drive in HOV lanes, and just believe it is yet another of the apparently large number of people violating HOV rules by driving solo in the HOV lane.

I think you sort of hit the nail on the head when you said "irrational anger". That's exactly what it is - irrational!

By the way, I find the Prius to be a very peppy car, despite some people who have never driven one thinking otherwise. If you floor it, the car can really accelerate fast! Of course, you see your gas consumption go way up - but it is always good to know that you can really accelerate fast if you need to!

Old 03-12-2010, 09:47 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,738,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Ithere's something else going on ... some irrational anger over hybrids in general;
The rest of us are annoyed that we don't drive hybrids and have to fill out the tank every week. And no, I'm not of of those people, hardly ever commute on a freeway with an HOA lane. What if you hybrid lone drivers (is that even english?) put a dummy in the backseat? Or on the passanger's seat, like that kid did in his house in "Home Alone". It could wave at people passing your car.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
The rest of us are annoyed that we don't drive hybrids and have to fill out the tank every week. And no, I'm not of of those people, hardly ever commute on a freeway with an HOA lane. What if you hybrid lone drivers (is that even english?) put a dummy in the backseat? Or on the passanger's seat, like that kid did in his house in "Home Alone". It could wave at people passing your car.
LOL, this is what I love about you EuroExpat--ever the diplomat with a creative cheerful solution. Now, before everyone runs out to buy a blow-up doll, I think you get into big trouble using a dummy in a regular car. But since we're talking about hybrid cars that are allowed to have lone drivers it might be a clever solution. Plus, if you really own the blow up doll for other purposes you have a handy excuse. "Gee honey, I just have the doll in my car to keep other drivers from getting mad at me..."

Old 03-12-2010, 09:57 AM

BTW, please forgive me for veering off topic for a second, but does anyone know on what stretch of road Harry Reid's family got into that horrible accident yesterday? Was it in Virginia? That's sucha tragic story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia