Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 06:53 PM

15,402 posts, read 29,009,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastli84 View Post
Hahaha, I love your posts! You are spot on with all these observations!

Tonight, when I leave my office and head back home to America's wealthiest county, here's what I will be doing:

1. Sit in 28 North traffic
2. Dinner at Wegmans
3. Probably get stuck behind a left lane-hogging minivan
4. Drive past Vinyl Estates (I mean, Loudoun Valley Estates)
5. Relax in my friends $400,000 (2 years ago) mass-produced condo.

But, I will say, Kudos to Loudoun!!
Dinner at Wegman's? Now that's a good thing. But after that, if it was me I'd go out and do something more fun. Go to a concert at Ned Devines. Or go to a party for a local meet-up group. Go dancing at Reston Town center. Or Ice Skating (I think the rink is open through March). Go to a movie or a play or whatever else is listed in the newspaper calendar section. Go bowling at Bowl America. Etc. Etc.

Last edited by normie; 03-12-2010 at 07:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
What's so strange about the "wealthiest counties" thing to me (and my family, who have homes on the west coast and FL and in Chicago) is that a large percentage of Fairfax Co., etc. honestly just doesn't look very wealthy and lacks, depressingly, a lot of the amenities you'd expect a place this wealthy to be bursting with (you know, creative 'New American'/'fusion' eateries [my government job for an artful salad!!], more high-end shopping [outside of a frigging indoor shopping mall, I mean]), better maintained public areas.
LOL, sounds like your gripe is we're rich but we don't like to flaunt it. No over priced boutiques for us, we're into being down-to-earth. Can't disagree with you there, especially since it's true. I mean, I have a fair amount of money, but I still shop at Sears... and I think it's something to be proud of. Besides, if I really want to eat at an overpriced restaurant it's easy to hop up to Manhattan. Or even to Paris.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
If only it followed me into my wallet!
LOL, me too!

Old 03-12-2010, 07:18 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,333,598 times
There just a lot more well paying jobs here than in most parts of the country. You find a lot more households with two healthy income earners.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Once again, I'll be happy to tell people in NoVA where there they can put their high incomes (and it related to my job as a banker.)
Ooh! Oooh! I know--High yield bond funds, right? (uh oh,now I'd better duck....)

Old 03-12-2010, 09:34 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,889,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, sounds like your gripe is we're rich but we don't like to flaunt it. No over priced boutiques for us, we're into being down-to-earth. Can't disagree with you there, especially since it's true. I mean, I have a fair amount of money, but I still shop at Sears... and I think it's something to be proud of. Besides, if I really want to eat at an overpriced restaurant it's easy to hop up to Manhattan. Or even to Paris.
*cough* McMansions *cough*

♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

Old 03-12-2010, 09:34 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,967,273 times
Well, that IS true. All of these counties get their money from the federal government. There are very few real industries with people creating something in the Washington area. Obama's expansion of government is driving the wealth.

Living in one of the richest counties is a bit of blind circumstance. How can anyone think that is something to brag about? Only if I am one of the richest people in this county, a billionaire, might it be worthy of mention. Other than that, why would I care that my county is the richest in the nation? Other than I get to pay ridiculously high property taxes because our board of supervisors thinks we're a bottomless pit of money for them to play with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIayankee? View Post
I was in Key largo, Florida last week in a restaurant and sitting next to us were two retirees. One brought up the data about richest counties etc... He mentioned "Faaaairfax" "Loooundon" and "Betheesda".... "They are all just sucking on the government teet he said. I'd have to agree with him though. My parents work for the gubment in Washington and live in arlington(#9 "richest") But he gave pretty bad comments about it all. Just what i've been hearing

Old 03-12-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Well, ya'll are gonna get some flak from me and I live here. I'm so sick and tired of people here flaunting their money. Not everything in life is about money, for crying out loud. Money is no different than anything else you own on this earth. You give it up when you die. I wish people in NoVA would focus more on leaving an impact on people's lives money can't buy.

I'm from Hampton Roads, VA which will never make any rich lists (it's much closer to the flip side) and the people there seem more happier than here. They dont spend 60+ hours in the office so they can put six figures on their tax return or buy Mercedes and BMWs. Same thing with where I'm moving in the Louisville and Ft. Knox area.

Once again, I'll be happy to tell people in NoVA where there they can put their high incomes (and it related to my job as a banker.)
HUH? Flaunting their money? Or driving whatever the heck car they choose? Where I live the richest people drive pickup trucks with horse trailers.

Why do you care what kind of car anyone drives? Why do you care if someone works hard and spends their money as they choose? Sounds like a bit of envy, or entitlement mentality. If you don't want to work hard, or don't want to buy a BMW, then don't work hard and don't buy a BMW. Let others make their own choices too. If someone wants to work 60 hours a week or even 80 hours a week, so what? If they want to buy a big car and a bigger house, so what? To each his own. You'll be happier if you live your life as you choose and let others do that too, with less judgment and envy of the choices that others make for their lives.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Dinner at Wegman's? Now that's a good thing. But after that, if it was me I'd go out and do something more fun. Go to a concert at Ned Devines. Or go to a party for a local meet-up group. Go dancing at Reston Town center. Or Ice Skating (I think the rink is open through March). Go to a movie or a play or whatever else is listed in the newspaper calendar section. Go bowling at Bowl America. Etc. Etc.
Some folks just have a real aversion to enjoying life and resent those who do. They'd rather whine about what everyone else is doing. I can't begin to explain it.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:52 PM

3,308 posts, read 9,404,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
It's really my fault, I guess. I was an absolute fool for not realizing the DelMarVA peninsula (which I visited with my parents about fifteen years ago) would've been fairly representative of the region, culturally (that is, when you subtract the recent improvements D.C. has made in sort of refashioning itself) - after all, the Mid-Atlantic is a pretty darn small region.
I'm not going to argue with the Midwest vs. DC comparison (never been to the Midwest), but saying the DelMarVA peninsula is representative culturally of the region is just strange to me. DelMarVA is mostly rural, dominated by chicken farms and water activities, and has very few of the amenities of a city. To tie back into the original topic, the DelMarVA peninsula has some of the poorer counties in MD while the DC area obviously has some of the richest, and because of that, you see a lot less of the things you see in the DC Metro.

It's a great place, don't get me wrong, but culturally, it shares much more with rural America than DC- little diversity, no ethnic food, no high-end shopping, very relaxed pace of life. To me, DelMarVA and DC are about as far apart culturally as one can get for two places that are only 50ish miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia