Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-19-2010, 01:26 PM
 
8,999 posts, read 21,254,564 times
Reputation: 3842

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
Fairfax County: "My dad works for the State Department."
PWC: "My dad has a septic cleaning business."
Considering that PWC has one of the highest household incomes in the country per Forbes magazine, those septic cleaning businesses must be doing rather well. Not to mention that, along with Loudoun County, it is a destination for many single-income white-collar families looking for more affordable homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-19-2010, 01:37 PM
 
845 posts, read 2,334,486 times
Reputation: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Considering that PWC has one of the highest household incomes in the country per Forbes magazine, those septic cleaning businesses must be doing rather well. Not to mention that, along with Loudoun County, it is a destination for many single-income white-collar families looking for more affordable homes.
Then what is PWC's excuse for the lowest test scores in the region? I think normie might be upset with you for using Loudon County in the same breath as PWC. If I had property in Loudon; I would be to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2010, 02:30 PM
 
8,999 posts, read 21,254,564 times
Reputation: 3842
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
Then what is PWC's excuse for the lowest test scores in the region? I think normie might be upset with you for using Loudon County in the same breath as PWC. If I had property in Loudon; I would be to.

I don't personally know the answer to that although I'm sure your familiar with the many threads on the subject. I believe Loudoun and Prince William have both their advantages and challenges, depending on one's preference. The one thing that would seem constant is that they are areas where households go to get more bang for their housing buck; I think everyone would agree with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2010, 10:45 PM
 
Location: Northwestern VA
982 posts, read 3,496,623 times
Reputation: 569
I think you'll love this area for your family. It's very family friendly and there are tons of kids. they'll have no trouble making friends...after their first week, it'll be like they've been here their whole lives. Commute will be about an hour.

HOA fees vary by neighborhood, they can run anywhere from $50 to $200 per month...it will all depend on the amenities offered in the neighborhood. If you're in a neighborhood with a pool, playground, tennis courts, etc., HOA fees will be higher. If all the neighborhood offers is trash pick up, snow removal, common area maintenance, etc., then the HOA fees will be lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwlizard View Post
We are nervously entertaining the idea of moving to the Bristow/Gainesville/Haymarket area this summer and would appreciate some help.

My children will be entering Kindergarten and 1st grade. We are moving from a Boston suburb. We currently love where we live, but my husbands office is in Springfield and I feel like we should move before the kids get any older. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Bristow/Gainesville/Haymarket look like the kind of places I'd like and have good schools. Our price range is up to 500,000, but I'd like to keep it closer to 400-450. We do need a yard (kids and 2 large dogs) and a good amount of space.

Does anyone know communting time to the Braddock Rd/Backlick intersection in Springfield?

What do HOA fees usually cover and how much are they?

Any neighborhoods where the kids all run around like a swarm of bees and SAHM's can easily make friends?

Anyone recommend one town over the others?

Thanks for you help,
Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2010, 04:35 AM
 
509 posts, read 977,629 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
Then what is PWC's excuse for the lowest test scores in the region? I think normie might be upset with you for using Loudon County in the same breath as PWC. If I had property in Loudon; I would be to.
There's large areas of PWC that have lower income housing, and the lower test scores are in those areas. The parts of PWC such as Gainesville/Haymarket/Bristow have much higher test scores.

It's a little strange you think someone from Loudoun County would be upset by mentioning PWC in the same breadth! It's even stranger that you would be upset if you lived in Loudoun and it was compared to PWC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2010, 04:39 AM
 
509 posts, read 977,629 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish Thompson View Post
I think you'll love this area for your family. It's very family friendly and there are tons of kids. they'll have no trouble making friends...after their first week, it'll be like they've been here their whole lives. Commute will be about an hour.

HOA fees vary by neighborhood, they can run anywhere from $50 to $200 per month...it will all depend on the amenities offered in the neighborhood. If you're in a neighborhood with a pool, playground, tennis courts, etc., HOA fees will be higher. If all the neighborhood offers is trash pick up, snow removal, common area maintenance, etc., then the HOA fees will be lower.
Agreed, this is a very family friendly area. I moved to Gainseville a year and a half ago to a new neighborhood and was the first house on our street. As soon as other families with children moved in all the children made friends with each other instantly. Of course, our street is a small sort of secluded court, so maybe that helps. Still, I think new people moving in to any neighborhood here - their children will make friends easily.

Our neighborhood HOA fees are $164/month - but includes cable TV and high speed internet which accounts for $73/month of the monthly fee. So without that our HOA fees would be $91/month which includes trash pick up, snow removal, common area maintenance, etc. We also have a large swimming pool, playgrounds, etc. So when you look at it that way, our HOA fees are not that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2010, 10:48 PM
 
24 posts, read 79,745 times
Reputation: 38
Default NGAdude, Are you in Morris Farms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngadude View Post
Agreed, this is a very family friendly area. I moved to Gainseville a year and a half ago to a new neighborhood and was the first house on our street. As soon as other families with children moved in all the children made friends with each other instantly. Of course, our street is a small sort of secluded court, so maybe that helps. Still, I think new people moving in to any neighborhood here - their children will make friends easily.

Our neighborhood HOA fees are $164/month - but includes cable TV and high speed internet which accounts for $73/month of the monthly fee. So without that our HOA fees would be $91/month which includes trash pick up, snow removal, common area maintenance, etc. We also have a large swimming pool, playgrounds, etc. So when you look at it that way, our HOA fees are not that bad.
That sounds like the Courtyard Collection at Morris Farms, with Brookfield Homes. We are looking in that area. If that's where you live, do you have any advice for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2010, 05:27 AM
 
509 posts, read 977,629 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubberMom View Post
That sounds like the Courtyard Collection at Morris Farms, with Brookfield Homes. We are looking in that area. If that's where you live, do you have any advice for us?
You are right, I do live in Morris Farm, but I have one of the Heritage Series houses (the Yardley model). The Morris Farm neighborhood is very nice - I've been there 1 1/2 years now and really like it a lot. My opinion of Brookfield Homes is not so good, there's been a lot of issues with the house and you really have to go after them to get them to fix anything, at least in my specific case. A year and a half later I'm still fighting them on problems they claim can't be fixed (crooked porch columns, doorways - the top of which is slanted at a 10 degree angle, etc.) which for what I paid for my house I don't expect to have those kinds of problems. They also have a lousy track record of not showing up for appointments scheduled during the week to fix things and then make excuses as to why, which wastes time off from work, etc. The design of their houses is very good - the implementation is not so good, unfortunately. Although, these days they may not be any worse than any other major builder, I suppose. Anyway, if you can get past all the issues with their poor construction and their lousy customer service, then the neighborhood is very nice.

I'll be glad to answer any other questions you might have about Morris Farm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2010, 08:46 PM
 
24 posts, read 79,745 times
Reputation: 38
NGAdude, thanks for your reply! We have put down a deposit on a Gettysburg, and are scheduled to close at the end of June.

I have lots of questions!

1. I'm sorry to hear about the problems with your house. (We actually considered a Yardley -- it is a very nice design, roomy & attractive floor plan.) Did you have a pre-drywall inspection, and/or an inspection before closing? If so, did they catch any of these problems before closing?

2. We are scheduled to have a pre-drywall inspection and a final inspection. Although Brookfield SAYS that they 'welcome' inspections, they do not allow the buyers to accompany the inspector, and they do not allow the inspector to put blue tape on the walls. I wonder if they resent inspections?

3. Do you have any advice on how to get Brookfield to come & keep their promises?

4. Have you found the community to be friendly and welcoming?

5. We are moving from 40 minutes away. Do you have any advice on how to help our kids make friends? We have teenage boys and girls in elementary school.

6. Since Morris Farms is near a huge lake and riverbed (Broad Run), do you recommend that we purchase flood insurance? Any thoughts on that?

7. I noticed that several homes are already for sale. Thoughts?

I also noticed, in walking around the neighborhood, that some of the fence posts between courtyards and easements are already leaning. Things that make ya go Hmmm....

THANKS for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2010, 08:56 PM
 
10 posts, read 21,854 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwlizard View Post
We are nervously entertaining the idea of moving to the Bristow/Gainesville/Haymarket area this summer and would appreciate some help.

My children will be entering Kindergarten and 1st grade. We are moving from a Boston suburb. We currently love where we live, but my husbands office is in Springfield and I feel like we should move before the kids get any older. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Bristow/Gainesville/Haymarket look like the kind of places I'd like and have good schools. Our price range is up to 500,000, but I'd like to keep it closer to 400-450. We do need a yard (kids and 2 large dogs) and a good amount of space.

Does anyone know communting time to the Braddock Rd/Backlick intersection in Springfield?

What do HOA fees usually cover and how much are they?

Any neighborhoods where the kids all run around like a swarm of bees and SAHM's can easily make friends?

Anyone recommend one town over the others?

Thanks for you help,
Liz
We are also moving to the Haymarket area after looking all over Northern VA. We really liked what we saw and the people we met. We also have a child entering kindergarten and a three yr old. We heard about St. Paul's School and Haymarket Baptist. Both have kindergarten classes and preschools. Both schools report their kindergarten classes are full, but at least St. Paul's is willing to put us on a waiting list. If you hear of any other private kindergarten schools please pass them along. We do not want to put our daughter in a class of 28 in a public school. That will be our last resort. Thanks for passing information about any schools you learn about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:00 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top