Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 09:26 AM

631 posts, read 1,291,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, well I guess I'm tickled to hear people in Richmond are jealous of my 5-year-old Prius. Maybe that says more about Richmond than about Nova, though...

Anyway, maybe the easiest thing is to let the OP judge for himself. Here are all the photo threads for northern Virginia. Pick any thread, and look at the clothes, houses, and the cars. It's up to you whether or not it looks materialistic, but the photos show pretty much what you'll find around here.

Northern Virginia photo tours
you're right because in richmond it's actually encouraged to make your own clothes or get them from locally owned boutiques. and sorry we don't switch cars every 5 years, people generally buy one and get as much use out of it as possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 09:28 AM

104 posts, read 191,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
When did Normie say she did her shopping at Tysons? If you truly know Northern Virginia, you know that Tysons is typically considered the most upscale mall in the area, so it's hardly representative of where 2 million Northern Virginians do their shopping. Besides, everyone knows that's where all the wealthy Marylanders go to shop and save money on sales tax.

Ah yes, the all important 1% difference in sales tax. I'm sure Marylanders come here in droves to save $5 when they spend $500 on new clothes...it makes it worth it to spend an extra $10 in gas in the process!

I'm not denying they come here to shop, but I don't think it has anything to do with the difference in sales tax (6% vs. 5%).

Old 03-27-2010, 09:29 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,783,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA-Jsn20 View Post
then please enlighten me on what malls in nova don't have the exact same or similar stores as tysons....
Well there is Landmark and Springfield.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:37 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,423,473 times
I don't think Northern Virginia is terribly materialistic at all, rather there are people who can afford what they want, and they purchase it. Most in the region, even if the money is new to their generation, don't have a nouveau riche mentality -- though there are some who do.

If it's Tysons Corner Center that we're discussing, it's a nice mall, but similar to others in the country. The Galleria, aka Tysons II, has more upscale shops, and while I would not call it a mall, Fairfax Square in the same Tysons area has boutiques -- Hermes, Gucci, Tiffany, Louis Vuitton, etc. There's no substantial difference between Tysons I, Dulles Town Center, and Fair Oaks, but coming from other regions, there are more malls in the area, including DC and close-in Maryland, so it's a question of variety as opposed to outright conspicuous consumption.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-27-2010, 10:53 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,098,657 times
Quote:
you're right because in richmond it's actually encouraged to make your own clothes or get them from locally owned boutiques. and sorry we don't switch cars every 5 years, people generally buy one and get as much use out of it as possible
Probably an accurate description of a student co-op group at VCU that specializes in hemp clothes and organic cereal, but bears little resemblance to the rest of Richmond. You could take someone out of Short Pump and stick them in Reston Town Center, and they'd probably think they were still in Richmond. Grab someone from Del Ray in Alexandria, and transport them to Carytown, and they'd barely know the difference. Shockoe Slip and Regency Square aren't too different from parts of Old Town Alexandria and Fair Oaks Mall.

Last edited by JD984; 03-27-2010 at 11:09 AM..

Old 03-27-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I don't think Northern Virginia is terribly materialistic at all, rather there are people who can afford what they want, and they purchase it. Most in the region, even if the money is new to their generation, don't have a nouveau riche mentality -- though there are some who do.

If it's Tysons Corner Center that we're discussing, it's a nice mall, but similar to others in the country. The Galleria, aka Tysons II, has more upscale shops, and while I would not call it a mall, Fairfax Square in the same Tysons area has boutiques -- Hermes, Gucci, Tiffany, Louis Vuitton, etc. There's no substantial difference between Tysons I, Dulles Town Center, and Fair Oaks, but coming from other regions, there are more malls in the area, including DC and close-in Maryland, so it's a question of variety as opposed to outright conspicuous consumption.
your profile name and terminology discredit anything you have to say on this topic (and i'm only half joking). i mean... are you even a french speaker?

and no we are discussing northern virginia malls which you describe as all being high end.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:08 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,348,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuric View Post
Some guy who replied to one of my questions where I asked "Can I make it on this salary?" mentioned something about how people are materialistic in NoVA. Something along the lines of people will frown upon me if I'm not wearing urban outfitters or armani or other designer names I don't care for....

Is this really true? Because if this is I'm not going to get along with many people it seems like. I would rather spend my extra money on alcohol, video games, or going on road trips/traveling....

I got money to spare but I never cared for designer names not one bit. Not even car brands such as acura or lexus or whatever

You'll be fine. I don't wear that stuff either. Of course with an area with 2 million plus people, you're going to find all sorts of personalities, but most aren't going to care what you're wearing or driving.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:10 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,423,473 times
Quote:
your profile name and terminology discredit anything you have to say on this topic (and i'm only half joking). i mean... are you even a french speaker?

and no we are discussing northern virginia malls which you describe as all being high end.
Actually, I do speak French, thanks for asking. And, as for profile names, things are not always what they seem, but thanks for the assumption to the contrary.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-27-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Actually, I do speak French, thanks for asking. And, as for profile names, things are not always what they seem, but thanks for the assumption to the contrary.
whatever you say

Old 03-27-2010, 11:19 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,970,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
When did Normie say she did her shopping at Tysons?
DTC's closer to where I live, but hey--sometimes I mix it up a little and shop at the Macy's at Tysons. Occasionally I even get really exotic and shop at the Macys in Fair Oaks!

Last edited by normie; 03-27-2010 at 11:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia